Tube Amp and High Impedance Headphones
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Maximus Pain

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to start by saying that I'm 98% sure I've found my "end game" planar magnetics, LCD-2 Classics. Thanks to the thoughtful people and kind advice here on Head-Fi.

I mostly listen to EDM, Jazz, and Classical.

My thoughts on headphones I've tried:
Sundara: Didn't like the build. Pads hurt my ears. The treble was ear piercing.
Harmonicdyne Zeus: Liked them a lot. Warm and full sound. Sold them to try other things. Regretted selling them until I pickup a pair of LCD-2 Classics.
HD 598SE: My go to dynamics. I've been using these for about 5 years. Great overall. Haven't really listened to them in a few months. Handed them down to my son.
HD 560S: Nice but not my cup of tea. I wanted some reference headphones to retune my ears but one thing I've leaned on this journey is that I don't like reference headphones for music enjoyment. I handed them down to my daughter but borrow them every now and then for gaming.
HD280PRO: I went though 2 pairs of these back in the day. Honestly don't even remember what they sounded like. I do remember I was quite happy.
T60RP: Great looking headphone. Picked them up to send them off to Modhouseaudio. Not much to say at the moment other than I'm curious about the Argon sound. Will be sending them off for modding once they start taking orders again.
LCD-2 Classic: Amazeballs!

Current gear:
W10 PC
Foobar2000 Flac files of my CD collection
Tidal HIFI for streaming
Asgard 3 w/ integrated DAC
LCD-2 Classic (APO rtings EQ)
T60RP
HD 560S
HD 598SE

I'm super satisfied with my LCD-2 Classic purchase but curious about Tube amps and don't want to take a step in the wrong direction.

Looked into a Bottlehead Crack for the experience of building it myself but quickly turned that idea down since I've never listened to tubes. I can solder and consider myself a do it yourselfer but don't think I'm there yet when it comes to tubes.

Currently looking at the Little Dot MK2, MK3 or DarkVoice 336SE to begin this next journey.

I'm looking for that, warm, soothing, big sound stage, immersive, melt in my listening chair, oOey gOoey nirvana....
Not some high dollar tube amp that sounds like a solid state amp.

I have so many questions.

Here we go:
1. What headphones under 1,500 USD "synergize" well with the Little Dot MK2 or DarkVoice 336SE? Not interested in Senneiser.
2. Is the Little Dot MK2, MK3 or DarkVoice 336SE worth the price of admission into the tube world?
3. I'm looking at the Little Dot MK2, MK3 or DarkVoice 336SE due to YouTube and Amazon reviews. I'm completely open to any other recommendations to look up and do my homework on. Which other Amps under 500 USD would you all recommend?
4. How can I incorporate a tube amp into my current setup? PC>Asgard 3 w/ integrated DAC.

That's all for now. Many more questions to come :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 14
1. What headphones under 1,500 USD "synergize" well with the Little Dot MK2 or DarkVoice 336SE? Not interested in Senneiser.

- ZMF dynamics
- Audio Technica ADX-ATH5000
- Beyerdynamic 600 ohm cans

2. Is the Little Dot MK2, MK3 or DarkVoice 336SE worth the price of admission into the tube world?

- Yep. They ought to give you a good flavour, as well as tube-rolling options

4. How can I incorporate a tube amp into my current setup? PC>Asgard 3 w/ integrated DAC.

- Potentially a tube 'buffer' in between the DAC and Asgard, but it could cause an impedance mismatch. You're better off with a proper tube amp.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm looking for that, warm, soothing, big sound stage, immersive, melt in my listening chair, oOey gOoey nirvana....
Not some high dollar tube amp that sounds like a solid state amp.

I have so many questions.

Here we go:

Beyers like the T1 but if you want to "(feel the) ooey gooey music" but "not interested in Sennheiser (HD650)" might as well just stop looking at OTLs right here and just look for a transformer coupled tube amp like the WooAudio WA5LE - a Class A Single-Ended Triode amplifier - to drive the LCD-2C.

Hell going forward it really wouldn't even Sennheiser for this since they're going over to 150ohms.

If you want fluid presentation, yes.

Not if you want ooey gooey but not interested in the Sennheiser HD650 with thick leather pads.

3. I'm looking at the Little Dot MK2, MK3 or DarkVoice 336SE due to YouTube and Amazon reviews. I'm completely open to any other recommendations to look up and do my homework on. Which other Amps under 500 USD would you all recommend?

None, if you want ooey gooey but not Sennheiser HD650 with thick leather pads..

Don't, since you want ooey gooey but not Sennheiser HD650.

Or can't, since there's no way to just add the WA5LE to that. You buy a new DAC (or music server, preferably, to eliminate ambient noise like from the PC's cooling system; or build a passive PC) then hook up the WA5LE (or the WA6se, then tube roll) to it to drive the LCD-2 instead of the Asgard3.

If you want both in there, get a new DAC or music server, then use the Schiit Sys passive preamp on full volume (it's passive, so it will just let the signal through unattenuated) between the DAC or music server and the two amps so you can use the Sys to switch which amp to use.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 14
I'm not too familiar with tube amps in that price Segment, more experienced in the "high end tube amp thst sound like solid state" Segment, as you called it.

However the Schiit Lyr 3 still fits the Bill @499 and 6SN7 tubes likely also have the ooey gooey Sound available. Probably best to ask in the corresponding thread for fitting tubes.

It's versatile and works with high and low impedance headphones Alike.

Unfortunately you will need an external DAC or need to take also a DAC Module for the new amp.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 14

- ZMF dynamics
- Audio Technica ADX-ATH5000
- Beyerdynamic 600 ohm cans

- Yep. They ought to give you a good flavour, as well as tube-rolling options

- Potentially a tube 'buffer' in between the DAC and Asgard, but it could cause an impedance mismatch. You're better off with a proper tube amp.
1. ZMF Aeolus are on my short list.
2. Still studding these Chinese amps and mods. They look like a lot of fun.
4. Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 are on order. Maybe I can plug the DarkVoice or Little Dot into the Bifrost's RCA input?

@Mightygrey Thank you for your input. It helps put things into preceptive.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 14
Beyers like the T1 but if you want to "(feel the) ooey gooey music" but "not interested in Sennheiser (HD650)" might as well just stop looking at OTLs right here and just look for a transformer coupled tube amp like the WooAudio WA5LE - a Class A Single-Ended Triode amplifier - to drive the LCD-2C.

Hell going forward it really wouldn't even Sennheiser for this since they're going over to 150ohms.

If you want fluid presentation, yes.

Not if you want ooey gooey but not interested in the Sennheiser HD650 with thick leather pads.

None, if you want ooey gooey but not Sennheiser HD650 with thick leather pads..

Don't, since you want ooey gooey but not Sennheiser HD650.

Or can't, since there's no way to just add the WA5LE to that. You buy a new DAC (or music server, preferably, to eliminate ambient noise like from the PC's cooling system; or build a passive PC) then hook up the WA5LE (or the WA6se, then tube roll) to it to drive the LCD-2 instead of the Asgard3.

If you want both in there, get a new DAC or music server, then use the Schiit Sys passive preamp on full volume (it's passive, so it will just let the signal through unattenuated) between the DAC or music server and the two amps so you can use the Sys to switch which amp to use.
1. WooAudio WA5LE is out of my price range at the moment but I do understand your point. It would probably be smarter for me to just jump head into high end tubes but I'm not convinced yet. I want to taste before I buy, if you catch my drift. I don't mind starting small at first the quickly work my way up to what my ears like. Missteps are all a part of the journey I guess.
2,3. You've peaked my interest in the HD650/HD6xx. But still, as a Senn fanboy myself, I want to try other things.
4. Very interesting suggestions. Much appreciated. As far as I know, a Bifrost 2 (which I have on order) should cover those concerns (I think?). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@ProtegeManiac I want to thank you for your great advice. It means a lot to me that you've taken the time to thoughtfully respond to my post.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm not too familiar with tube amps in that price Segment, more experienced in the "high end tube amp thst sound like solid state" Segment, as you called it.

However the Schiit Lyr 3 still fits the Bill @499 and 6SN7 tubes likely also have the ooey gooey Sound available. Probably best to ask in the corresponding thread for fitting tubes.

It's versatile and works with high and low impedance headphones Alike.

Unfortunately you will need an external DAC or need to take also a DAC Module for the new amp.
"high end tube amp thst sound like solid state" was not meant to be offensive. I'm only looking for a different sound that I can physically change without EQ.

Schiit Lyr3 does sound like a great fit. Since I already have a Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 on order. Maybe a Lyr 3, Jotunheim connected to the Bifrost RCA/XLR would give me the best of both worlds? I'm not sure if I have the cabling correct.

@ThanatosVI Thank you for your insightful input. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 14
1. WooAudio WA5LE is out of my price range at the moment but I do understand your point. It would probably be smarter for me to just jump head into high end tubes but I'm not convinced yet. I want to taste before I buy, if you catch my drift. I don't mind starting small at first the quickly work my way up to what my ears like. Missteps are all a part of the journey I guess.

Less drastic upgrade would be the WooAudio WA6se but that's in objective terms. You have to tube roll to get the "ooey gooey" you want. Finding the right tubes though might get more of that than a stock WA5-LE...but again you'll have to explore the tubes and since WooAudio does not use the more common tubes, the few you can get won't be cheap.

By contrast the WA5-LE at least uses 300B and 6SN7, so it's only the 5U4G that is not a rather common tube.

2,3. You've peaked my interest in the HD650/HD6xx. But still, as a Senn fanboy myself, I want to try other things.

You're there already, ie, LCD-2.

Honestly I'd just give up on OTLs and high impedance amps unless you go with the HD650/6XX. Just Upgrade the LCD-2's amp.

4. Very interesting suggestions. Much appreciated. As far as I know, a Bifrost 2 (which I have on order) should cover those concerns (I think?). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@ProtegeManiac I want to thank you for your great advice. It means a lot to me that you've taken the time to thoughtfully respond to my post.

To feed a signal into one amp, yes. Not so for having one amp on the LCD-2 and another more ooey gooey OTL amp on an HD650.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 14
"high end tube amp thst sound like solid state" was not meant to be offensive. I'm only looking for a different sound that I can physically change without EQ.

Schiit Lyr3 does sound like a great fit. Since I already have a Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 on order. Maybe a Lyr 3, Jotunheim connected to the Bifrost RCA/XLR would give me the best of both worlds? I'm not sure if I have the cabling correct.

@ThanatosVI Thank you for your insightful input. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
No offense taken, I meant it literally that my own experience with tube amps lies more in the described Segment.
And it is an rather accurate description compared to vintage tube gear.

Bifrost 2 + Lyr 3 / Jotunheim 2 is a very very good setup for price performance. You'll probably be very happy with it.
Here is a thread where I'd ask for 6SN7 with the desired ooey gooey Sound
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

May 2, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 14
@ProtegeManiac After reading your comments a few times I now understand why you keep mentioning the HD 650s. I'm a bit hard headed, lol.

@ThanatosVI Why doesn't the Lyr 3 come in black?........ :)

After much back and forth I've decided not to go the high impedance headphone route at the moment to explore tubes. Maybe something that can both take advantage of the low impedance headphones I already own.

I'm revisiting the idea of building my own amp kit by Bottlehead. The Single Ended eXperimenter's Kit 3.0 to be exact. It should give me the flexibility to use a wider range of headphones and tube roll but have no idea how well it will pair with the LCD-2 Classics, T60RP Argons, and maybe a set of ZMFs in the near future.

1. What do you all think of a PC > Bifrost 2 > Bottlehead S.E.X C4S setup?

2. Would it be worth it to take this journey since I already have a Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 on the way?

Thanks!

May 2, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Why doesn't the Lyr 3 come in black?........ :)
That is a very good question!
Hopefully they will add it at some point like they recently did with Freya+

May 6, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 14
That is a very good question!
Hopefully they will add it at some point like they recently did with Freya+
1620331125554.png

May 6, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 14
May 18, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 14
I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of stabilized Aeolus when they went up for sale a few days ago but I held back. Wanted something to go with the Bottlehead Crack I just ordered so I picked up a pair of HD 6XX to try first.

AeolusShopify_Stblz24_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back