TTVJ Slim DAC - is it any good?
Jul 19, 2011 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Daysleeper

New Head-Fier
i have an iBasso D6, and looking to get the Slim to somewhat augment my gear. dac-wise, which one is technically / sonically (or maybe even musically) better? i've been itching to get the slim with the dac - i'm so sold to the tubey sound of the slim, but the only thing i'm put off is the dac that's included with it - not seeing much reviews about it tells me it's not as good as the dac of the D6, even without looking at the specs. to those who have heard both, is it worth jumping ship? to whichever i'm gonna stick with, it's going to be my main transportable.

as an aside, is there anything i can roll in the D6 to get somewhat close to the slim's sig?

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Unless you really need the smaller form factor or just want a second portable dac/amp, why not just try differet opamps for the D6? It will be way cheaper.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 6
The DAC was quite bad and I thought my iPod sounded a lot better. I absolutely loved the amp part though.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Bumping this up to see how others like the DAC of the TTVJ. I myself like it but it's the first DAC I've ever had so I don't know how other DACs compare when listening to computer audio. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't really use the dac on mine and only added it if I happen to have my MBP with me and headphones. Normally I use a FireWire multichannel AD/DA device and a dedicate headphone amp or iPod to Slim.

I really like the Slim but I'm sure an external DAC would be a better choice. I would recommend saving the money there and getting a DAC separate down the road.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the input, that's what I was thinking. The DAC on the TTVJ definitely has its own flavor that's definitely far from neutral IMO. I would love to try another dedicated desktop amp/dac in the future to compare, especially if I end up having cans that need the extra power. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back