Trying to get a Sig Other into Headphones
Feb 24, 2003 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

shafu

500+ Head-Fier
So in your opinions, with Senn 580s and a decent source, what is the most impressive sounding amp for someone who normally does not listen carefully to music? Regardless of price? Tube? SS? Bass/impactful? Clarity/air? Detail? I'm trying to get someone who slightly disapproves of my hobby into it. Try to get that "wow" factor with her.

Feb 24, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 19
My wife isn't really "into" my hobby either. She would prefer to "zone-out" while watching television or movies rather than listen to music. When I was building my 2-channel system I made certain to incorporate home theater elements so that she could enjoy watching movies more. But, for her, it was never really a priority - she could just as easily live with watching a television without all the extra clutter associated with a high-end system.

The only time she ever commented on the system was when I bought a tube pre-amp. Without knowing what I had changed she commented on the more natural sound of voices. She also thought everything sounded a bit warmer and more musical.

I guess what I am trying to say is that tubes impressed both of us.

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 19
Yea i wrote a nice response to this post earlier but my boss walked in and i had to close it
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
.. If you want to stay somewhat in a budget and still get amazing sound the Antique Sound Labs MG/OTL head may be your best bet. But it all depends on what you want to spend. $350 for the newest MG/otl head may be considered expensive to you.. The people who have payed $1000+ wont think so. But, yea.. you need to determine what you want to spend first of all. Your spending limit is a detrimental factor concerning the degree of "wowness" that your setup will create.

You will have to explain to her the elements of good sound. Explain what soundstage is... Explain why quality lows/mids/highs are all important. Explain how important each piece of your system really is... The key to understanding this hobby is understanding what accurate musical reproduction really is and what it takes to get there. Once she understands that ... She should get it. Try to emphasize how much it would cost to achieve the same sonic results with a speaker system.

Feb 24, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the response. I've explained all of that (comparison with speaker sound/prices etc., but I've mostly gotten, "It sounds really nice." I've been wondering what amp (and perhaps headphones) would floor even the most novice of listeners. What type of characteristics are the most impressive?

I know this is subjective, and given the mass market for headphones, it seems lound midrange bass is the taste, but I was wondering what people here thought. What would you play to impress your friends/wife that thought you were a little weird for spending so much, and spending so much time here at head-fi?

Feb 24, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

What would you play to impress your friends/wife that thought you were a little weird for spending so much, and spending so much time here at head-fi?

Well right now I play my hd600/mg-otl setup for anyone that comes over and they are blown away. The usual response is "I didnt know it was possible for headphones to sound like that". I expect the wow factor to increase steadily as i upgrade and expand my system more and more.

Feb 25, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 19
put it this way man..... my GF LOVES LOVES LOVES cute stuff.... like pochaco and that kind of crap. i bought her one of those HUGE pooh bears for valentines, and i swear, that made her happier than the fanciest jewelry i could ever afford.

now.... would you ever be as excited about some stupid stuffed doll?--most maybe you would give the pooh a hug and say it's soft and cute. ............but... man, you would never fall in love with it right? (assuming you are a normal guy)... can your GF EVER EVER EVER make you into a pochaco connosieur?--- HELL NO.

that's why men like audio and components.... and why women do not--because,....... it just IS.

give up..... if she tolerates your hobby, be thankful.

orpheus

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
So in your opinions, with Senn 580s and a decent source, what is the most impressive sounding amp for someone who normally does not listen carefully to music? Regardless of price? Tube? SS? Bass/impactful? Clarity/air? Detail? I'm trying to get someone who slightly disapproves of my hobby into it. Try to get that "wow" factor with her.

I have pretty much given up trying to convice femalies (members of the female tribe) of anything I like; it's way too frustrating and your involvement with the subject only works against you. The best I will do is if SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) indicates she particularly likes a song on the radio or other low- or mid-fi source, I will immediately arrange for her to hear it on my most appropriate amp/headphone system. Sometimes this works (she is impressed), but most times she just focuses on the amp or cans and yells "THIS IS NEW, ISN'T IT!!"
eek.gif
redface.gif
eek.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 19
What Old Pa and Orpheus said...

While you may try in earnest to get your significant other to enojoy your hobby, it's likely only to end up frustrating both of you.

If she shows real interest, that's another story! Go for it!!!

BTW: advice for what NOT to do.

Do NOT let your non-motivated wife/GF/whomever try Etymotics (at least not with the white rubber tips)!!!! Not only will you get strange looks (e.g., Ouch! You put these things in your ears on PURPOSE???), but what will likely happen is a response similar to the one provided below...

"You paid HOW much for these little painful things?!?!?!"

I'm still paying for that effort to "enlighten" my wife.
frown.gif

Bruce

Feb 25, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 19
lol, I've actually had my finacee try the ER4P. Again, I got "it sounds pretty nice" but she does appreciate the fact that it isolates quite well (I'm on planes a lot). The fact that I can't hear her while I'm listening does bother her at times (she's resorted to throwing rolled up socks at me!).

I'm not trying to get her into headphones as much as I am, just to a level where she'll get a grin when she listens to it. Old Pa, I totally understand the "this is new isn't it!" reaction. I'm trying to figure out how to sneak a pair of clou blue cables into the set up with out her noticing it. I've already told her that "others" spend 100s of dollars on cables, etc.... She thinks I need to stay away from this place!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Personally, I've found the liquid midrange of tube amps to be the most impressive, espeically with jazz vocals like Norah Jones or Diana Krall. Need to figure out what would get her music mojo going.

Feb 25, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 19
I respectfully disagree with the attitude that men like stereo stuff because they are men and women don't because, well, they are women. I've been married nearly 6 years and I have *never* used that attitude with my wife. She is an individual with different tastes than my own and she is quite capable of understanding and accepting my reasons for being "into" audio; just as I am capable of understanding and accepting her reasons for her hobbies. At times she disagrees with how much I spend on it but we both know that it is a matter of priority and not because she is incapable of appreciating audio.

Please don't treat your significant other as if they are incapable of understanding or that their own choices are beyond comprehension. Why? Because how can you expect someone else to understand and accept, without judgement, your choices if you won't do the same for them? Even most men find this audio hobby of ours a bit silly. Don't think so? Go tell your co-workers, someone who doesn't already know, how much you spend on audio equipment - I get shocked looks, at least from my co-workers (YMMV), for even owning a headphone amplifier regardless of how much it cost.

You can always use an analogy comparing your hobby with one of theirs. The one I use for my friends at work is cars. I point out that they just bought a $35K car. They didn't need a $35K Trans Am - a $15K Honda Civic would get them from place-to-place just as well. Instead of spending that kind of money on a car I spend it on audio equipment. And while they might not agree with my spending choices at least they understand that it isn't all that different from their choice in purchasing an expensive automobile.

Shafu, kudos to you for continuing to try.

Feb 25, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 19
heh he........ welp, if only you were married to my GF, man. i'll let her try to get you to wear snoopy t-shirts, fuzzy pants, and change your entire wardrobe to contain mostly pink. YES, she would do exactly that if you let her! she thinks it's cute....

got a pochaco in every room?--no?, well, she can fix that for you too....

get the point man? you know, if you say that "if you love a girl so much, she can change you to loving cute stuff"..... just like you think you can make your wife like audio stuff..... hell, you must be gay! not that i have anything against gay people, ....but there is something definately wrong with the testosterone in your system.

"Please don't treat your significant other as if they are incapable of understanding or that their own choices are beyond comprehension."-- yeah, i know what you mean. don't worry, my GF has accepted that i am into music, and into equipment. she figures, as long as i can afford it, i can buy whatever i want. but she sure as hell doesn't agree i need this stuff. and she would never ever buy anything of the like for herself. and nothing i can do will every change that.

sure, she pretends to be happy for me when i get a new exciting toy...... just like you get excited for your kids when you get them a new bike or something. but really, i'm sure she thinks of me like that--a little kid with toys. nothing more...

so, Gallaine, i am not saying that one should not try, or is not incapable of understanding the other's desires. what i am saying that you cannot MAKE her like your audio! she can tolerate it.... but she will never ever understand the feeling like you do. some girls might... but for the majority out there, forget about it!

(but then again, there are plenty of beauties out there in rice burners....)

Feb 25, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
I respectfully disagree with the attitude that men like stereo stuff because they are men and women don't because, well, they are women.

Since that is not what I said nor what I meant, I guess your "respectful disagreement" must be with someone else.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
get the point man? you know, if you say that "if you love a girl so much, she can change you to loving cute stuff"..... just like you think you can make your wife like audio stuff..... hell, you must be gay! not that i have anything against gay people, ....but there is something definately wrong with the testosterone in your system.

No, I really don't get your point. And I think you've missed mine. I never said that I can "make" my wife like audio stuff. What I said was, her interests lie elsewhere not because she's a women but because she just doesn't have an interest in audio.

How about I turn-around your statement about gays: "...hell, you must be a bigot! not that I have anything against bigots...but there is something definitely wrong with the neural pathways in your brain."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Since that is not what I said nor what I meant, I guess your "respectful disagreement" must be with someone else.

Yes, my disagreement was with someone else
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 19
look man i'm not here to bash anyone..................... how many females are on this forum? you can count them on your fingers.

does that mean it's more probable that males like audio more than females. YES. that's exactly what it means.

does that mean it's impossible females like audio?--no. but it does mean that it's very abnormal for a female to be into audio as much as you.

how many guys you know are into pochaco? please tell me none..... and if he does, he is EXTREMELY effeminate (did i spell that right?).......

audio IS gender biased. if it is not, you would not see the gender disparity in this forum.

i do not understand how you can disagree with me.

and just to clarfiy, i am not a bigot. to be gay is to be abnormal. that is all i meant. --that to like pochaco is a very abnormal occurance for a male. i did not say it was a bad thing.

Feb 26, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 19
Easy guys! I wanted to know what set up with impress people (female and male) - I just used a woman to given an example in my case.

So Senn 580 and MG Head is the leading recommendation... What tubes are you using by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back