Trying to figure something out.
May 2, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #31 of 53
I think I do know what the problem with these headphones is. It's the fact they are open-back. That means a lot of the audio is escaping out the back, and other noises, background noises come through louder making it harder to hear the audio. I didn't think that'd be enough to make it heard to hear things through my headphones. So yeah, I think I'll get a cheap, but effective headphone amp. Unfortunately the microphone I use now is sensitive enough to pick up headphone audio that leaks out of these, and if my headphones become any louder, I'll have a very real problem with the microphone I use now picking up leaking audio.

This has me concerned that when I do buy a better microphone to start doing content videos, that it may pick up leaked audio through the microphone as well. I may have to switch to closed backs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #34 of 53
Yes, that headphone amp should do the trick. Buy it from Amazon and you can return it if you don't like it.

Just get a cheap set of sealed beater cans to record with. You don't need fancy headphones just to record.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #35 of 53
If I need to go back to something closed back for a short period, I still have the earbuds I've been using for years that still sound pretty good. But I still want to amplify these headphones because with my fan going (it's getting to be that time of year), it really drowns out the audio. So I am looking at those cheap 4-channel amps like the Behringer and Neewer, but also the portable battery powered ones (which can be left plugged in) which are only for a single channel. Whichever one gives the most boost is the one I would buy, but it's hard to say which one is, with few details about either product.

May 3, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #36 of 53
More isn't necessarily better. All you need is enough. I would try whatever is cheapest and if it doesn't work, return it. Amping isn't complicated. People just make it seem like it is.

May 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 53
Yeah, but I'm not sure how much they output at all, if they boost audio or just split it while preserving the output. Do these amps like the Behringer and Neewer actually provide good, clean, louder sound? In regards to the portable ones, it seems they all hum when powered/charging, so that's a deal breaker.

May 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #38 of 53
It isn't difficult to design a clean headphone amp. I can't imagine any of them would be audibly different. (Assuming you're using typical headphones, and not some esoteric ones that require super powerful amping.) Features are going to be the deciding factor. How they handle charging is different though. I've always had portable amps that work with AA batteries. I've never had one that charges so I can't say on that.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #39 of 53
[1] So yeah, I think I'll get a cheap, but effective headphone amp. Unfortunately the microphone I use now is sensitive enough to pick up headphone audio that leaks out of these, and if my headphones become any louder, I'll have a very real problem with the microphone I use now picking up leaking audio.
[2] But I still want to amplify these headphones because with my fan going (it's getting to be that time of year), it really drowns out the audio.

1. Yes, that's a vicious circle. On the other hand, ...
2. You might not have to worry about recording "spill" from your headphones because it could easily be below the noise floor of your room with the fan going! But if HP spill is still a problem, your best bet when recording would probably be to use IEMs, they need less level to sound as loud and if they have a decent seal, less of that level will escape and spill into the mic. Again though, it depends on exactly what you're recording and how? The closer to the sound source you want to record and the further from noise/sound you don't want to record, the less the mic will pick-up the sound you don't want to record but of course if you're recording your own voice then you can't get the mic closer to your mouth without it also being closer to your HPs.

G

May 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #40 of 53
Yeah, I just tested my new mic (I got the Samson Q2U) with Audacity and I could hear the faint sound of my computers audio in the background of when I was quiet, and this is without amplification. I am going to need different headphones, IEMs, or closed backs so an amplifier is irrelevant unless I get something over 32ohm impedance.

May 5, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #41 of 53
Yeah, I just tested my new mic (I got the Samson Q2U) with Audacity and I could hear the faint sound of my computers audio in the background of when I was quiet

That seems a bit unusual for a dynamic mic to be that sensitive. Do you have the gain cranked all the way up too high maybe? Mind you: I have no experience with that mic and I prefer condensers. But my understanding is that dynamics aren't supposed to be that sensitive.

May 5, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #42 of 53
No, the dynamic mic isn't "that sensitive" but the headphones just leak that much audio. If I take the headphones off and cover the inside of the cups with my hands, enough audio will leak out that I can still clearly hear them. I will probably get the Monoprice 8323 or Tascam TH-02 for recording purposes.

May 5, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #43 of 53
No, the dynamic mic isn't "that sensitive" but the headphones just leak that much audio.

Fair enough. I'm a big fan of closed back cans, but even with my open backed ones (Senn HD800), I didn't have a problem with my condenser. The thing is, it's an expensive condenser and might be a bit more than what you want to spend (and you need to provide +48V phantom). Rode Broadcaster.

May 5, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #44 of 53
Nah, the mic isn't the issue. And all condensers need 48v power, the USB condensers just build that into the mic which is why USB condensers are so big and heavy. The only condenser mic I've heard that I really like is the Blue Ember, which is XLR only and significantly smaller, and lighter than Blues USB condensers. But I am loving the Q2U, it sounds so good. But this is definitely a headphone issue. And I will keep the headphones, they sound great, I've solved some of the issues I had with them, but for recording purposes I will have to switch to closed backs or IEMs. I have some earbuds that sound really good that I will use in the immediate future, and get the Tascam TH-02, Monoprice 8323, or perhaps the Samson SR950s maybe next week.

May 16, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #45 of 53
I was playing around with a bit more, it has a switch to turn the surround sound function on and off and when off it just sounds like normal onboard audio. Anyway, the accuracy of the audio is significantly greater with it off, meaning, I can better pinpoint the direction of audio with it off because the audio cues come from a very narrow direction. With the surround sound on it sounds like it's coming from the direction but instead of a broader area. If that makes any sense. When I toy around with balance with the surround off, turning down the left all the way loses me 50% of my audio but with it on, I only lose about 20-25% of audio as much of it still comes from the channel I've muted in windows, so DD is taking some audio from one channel and moving it over to the other. Usually isn't that supposed to be a bad thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back