Trying to decide between Alessandro MS-1i and the ATH-M50s
Aug 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

greenboarder89

New Head-Fier
Hello headfi community! After some searching for a sub $100 pair of headphones, I have decided on these two. I will be mainly listening to rock. I have never experienced Grado's sound signature, but am interested in trying them out. I assume that open headphones have better sound quality; not too concerned about sound leakage since I will be listening in my room. And then, I also hear that the m50s are pretty good quality/value although I am not sure what to expect from "monitor" headphones(Do monitor headphones have boring flat sound?). I am looking for a rich warm and fun sounding phone. Assistance pls?
smile.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 16
Both are pretty fun sounding, both great value for money, both great for pretty much all genres and both very different. What are you looking for sound signature wise?

The ATH-M50 has much more bass, above that it is pretty neutral with the mids being perhaps the tiniest bit recessed. They are more comfortable than Grados, although due to their closed nature they can make your ears hot. Also due to their closed nature they are more versatile as you can take them out in noisy environments.

The MS1 has less bass than the ATH-M50, and while it has much less than other Grado line phones, has a mid-treble spike. Like all Grados though, it has incredibly clear and fresh sounding mids, great highs and the bass is very tight.

It really does depend on your taste, although both those phones can be modded to adjust the sound.

Hope some of that helps with the decision.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 16
Grado house sound is very aggressive. Forward midrange, with an even more forward and sparkly treble. Bass is present, but is very lacking in impact. Soundstage is non-existant. To many individuals it is an extremely fatiguing and unpleasant sound. Others love it. The ms1 will share that house sound, it will just be slightly less aggressive, but nonetheless unmistakably grado. (I like the sound, but there's too little soundstage and not enough bass impact for me)

The m50 are relatively balanced, with a slight tilt toward the low end. Respectable bass impact, balanced mids, and a well extended but recessed treble. Good detail retrieval, and an average sound stage for a closed headphone - still better than low end grados. They are very proficient technically, but I found them to be a little boring for my tastes. (I prefer a more lively, V shaped sound signature).

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 16
I agree largely with JxK there, but would point out that unlike a lot of other Graods the MS1 can be modded to use Jumbo Pads - that's how I use mine - so you can have a fantastic soundstage with them if you chose to go that route.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 16
thank you for your thorough responses
smile.gif

i really just want a fun headphone to listen to. can i get that with either of these? the very accurate headphones sound boring and dull like something a sound studio would use. would you describe sound stage as the 3D sound effect of the headphones?

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 16
Both of them will give you a fun headphone to listen to.  In fact, you would probably be extremely happy with both.

Have you listened to any boring, dull studio headphones?  Many of us around here find a relatively neutral, flat sound to be quite engaging.  Either way, that's not what either of those headphones are famous for.

And yes, soundstage is the impression that headphones give of sound being outside the head.  Grados don't really have much soundstage to speak of, but that matters less to some people.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 16
I'd recommend the MS-1s based upon your criteria :)

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 16
In terms of modding MS1 is very versatile.

I think it comes stock with Comfie Pads, which have no soundstage but create a very smooth, warm sound (and as the name suggests - are very comfie!).

You can put bowls on them to create more airyness and better separation, with a little sound stage too (but not much). Some people find them so uncomfortable they can't bear them though.

You can go old school with Tood The Vynl Junkie Flats - to create an extremely bassy, vibrant, high octane sound with the least soundstage and separation of all the methods, but still one of my favourites.

You can get sound stage from Grados using Jumbo Pads, which are super comfortable as well. MS1 can be modded to take them in one of two ways.

The MS1000 mod gives MS1 more soundstage than every phones I've ever heard bar the K70*. It requires buying distancers, which several headfiers will make for you at a very reasonable price. In then requires "tuning" with layers of kitchen felt to kill the treble brightness the mod produces.

The cheaper and more elegent (distancers look stupid) solution is unreversable - there is a thin layer of material covering the holes between the sound chamber and the driver - punch through those holes and let the bass through! You'll also need to line the inside of the air chamber with felt to dampen the sound a bit after. Then you can put on Jumbos without distancers and it sounds great. Less sound stage than MS1000 mod, but better clarity. I have this done to mine and I love it, although they are now too bassy to wear flats, so be warned!

In terms of M50 modding -

You can cover over the vents above and below the baffle with masking tape or electrical tape (masking tape having less effect, electrical more) - the moe holes you cover the less bass there will be and the more prominent the mids will be.

You can switch to DT250 velour pads for a huge increase in bass (waaay too much to sound good at first - and most of it in the muddy mid-bass area). To control that bass down to close to stock (but still boosted) levels, get rid of the foam and use pantyhose/tights as a filter and cover at least three the vents on each set with electrical tape.  

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 16
All the modding you do to the MS1i will never compensate for the fact the M50 driver just sounds better than the MS1i.  If you want an open sounding phone and SS is a big deal breaker for you by all means MS1i.  In every other SQ aspect the M50 is gonna beat up the MS1i pretty bad IME.  Honestly, rich and warm are words best attributed to the M50, not the MS1i (warm perhaps, rich no).

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't know, it's all down to personal taste.

I own both of them and while the M50 is fantastic portable can, I never think of sitting down at home with it for a listening session like I often do the M1.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I don't know, it's all down to personal taste.

I own both of them and while the M50 is fantastic portable can, I never think of sitting down at home with it for a listening session like I often do the M1.

Interesting.  I felt the oppostie about the MS1.  Too grainy and rough to me.  It was fine on its own, but in comparison...well, there wasn't.  So I have to agree, all down to personal taste.  X2 Eddie.  Good luck to the OP.  

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 16
well i decided to go for the ath-m50 and a fiio e5 amp. the m50 seemed like a safer choice; i saw less complaints about it than the alessandro and it seemed more versatile in music choice and portability. i do want to try out some grados some day though. and nevertheless, i figure that either one would impress me coming from crappy headphones.  well thanks for the advice guys.
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 16
m50 hands down. tried both, only the m50 have impressed me. the ms1i seemed more boomy for bass wise whereas the m50 have a more punchy bass. the highes are piercing in ms1i whereas the m50's are sweet. Mids are muddy in ms1i whereas(although to me its abit recessed) its still clear in m50. IMHO ms1i have been a disappointment, the old ms1 is way MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
m50 hands down. tried both, only the m50 have impressed me. the ms1i seemed more boomy for bass wise whereas the m50 have a more punchy bass. the highes are piercing in ms1i whereas the m50's are sweet. Mids are muddy in ms1i whereas(although to me its abit recessed) its still clear in m50. IMHO ms1i have been a disappointment, the old ms1 is way MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

good to know, can't wait for mine to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back