True $20 Cmoy?
Dec 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

arw45

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm considering a portable amp for my Beyer DT770 80ohm.  From reading here, it sounds like a cmoy is just the ticket for my first amp.  Using the tangent parts list, the most basic cost is edging dangerously close to $30 from digikey and over 25 from mouser.  I'd like to solder my own amp: how can I get parts for under $20?.

I might be able to get my hands on an old pc or something similar to steal parts from--is this worth the effort?  I'm not even on the 'starving student' budget.  Any help? 

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 31
Dec 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 31
I'm in Arizona.  I was looking at my costs, and it seems that most of the outlay is going into the switches, sockets, and various accessories.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may be able to scavenge these parts?  I'm willing to shell out the 6 bucks for a decent op amp, but don't care about the nobs and such. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 31

Quote:
Hello,
I'm considering a portable amp for my Beyer DT770 80ohm.  From reading here, it sounds like a cmoy is just the ticket for my first amp.  Using the tangent parts list, the most basic cost is edging dangerously close to $30 from digikey and over 25 from mouser.  I'd like to solder my own amp: how can I get parts for under $20?.

I might be able to get my hands on an old pc or something similar to steal parts from--is this worth the effort?  I'm not even on the 'starving student' budget.  Any help? 

a desktop amp might suit the DT770's a bit better, even the 32ohm model is power hungry, though if you really are on a budget,a  cmoy is better than nothing

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 31
I would definitely enjoy a desktop model, but those are out of my budget.  I will probably be using this with an ipod, so mobility is a big +.  I am also considering this project as a good way to get some soldering experience. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 31
How about a Szekeres?

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

a desktop amp might suit the DT770's a bit better, even the 32ohm model is power hungry, though if you really are on a budget,a  cmoy is better than nothing

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 31
The $20 budget is pretty tight for a Cmoy. mega-congratulations if you can pull it off. 
I have considered running a $75 amplifier challenge at NYC/NJ area meets. "what can you build for $75" and we all compare.

On that note, if you are using DIY as a way to save money it really isnt*. DIY audio is mostly a way to find a personal reward in building stuff for yourself, and on occasion you get to hear things that may not be commercially available.

*At silly price points (~$400? and up) DIY starts to pay off. Until you consider what you would make flipping burgers instead of building DIY audio gear. Its still not about saving money when you sink a lot into it.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 31
Nikongod, that sounds like fun...I would enter that.

Quote:
The $20 budget is pretty tight for a Cmoy. mega-congratulations if you can pull it off. 
I have considered running a $75 amplifier challenge at NYC/NJ area meets. "what can you build for $75" and we all compare.

On that note, if you are using DIY as a way to save money it really isnt*. DIY audio is mostly a way to find a personal reward in building stuff for yourself, and on occasion you get to hear things that may not be commercially available.

*At silly price points (~$400? and up) DIY starts to pay off. Until you consider what you would make flipping burgers instead of building DIY audio gear. Its still not about saving money when you sink a lot into it.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT.  And so it is written...

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 31
The only thing that may be worrisome is the ground between the two 9V batteries.  I am not sure if this circuit can compensate for the batteries being at different voltages (i.e. one battery draining faster than the other).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back