Trolls and Shills
Sep 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 65
I tried to subtly bring this up once, but was berated for it. I think you say what many are thinking, but don't want to say for fear of offending someone. It really does sound like a marketing campaign from some posters... It doesn't make sense for regular consumers to use marketing buzz words, and it leaves me not wanting to bother asking questions.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 65
Nice first post!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

It seems like I have missed all those am*3 and hif*man advertisements, cause I have no idea what you talk about. But trolling seems to be somewhat normal around here, and some times I can not refrain from feeding them..

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #18 of 65
With the insertion of sponsors, the place has changed from a hobby and tech. site to a sales and marketing site. All the bs has been particularly bad with the portable market gaining numbers.

I'd love to have it back the way it was but all things change. Many of the members that have been part of what made this site so cool have moved on because of the ignorance and trolling mentality. They are also turned away with what they perceived as heavy-handed or biased moderating. Their choice.

To the benefit of most members here, we are pretty quick to call out trolling and shillers.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skampster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just quickly, what does Shilling mean here?

shill [shil]–noun

1.a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 65
More specifically, those with ties to a business who make multiple anonymous accounts to plug their own products.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice first post!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

It seems like I have missed all those am*3 and hif*man advertisements, cause I have no idea what you talk about. But trolling seems to be somewhat normal around here, and some times I can not refrain from feeding them..

Trolls can be fun at times.

Shills, not so much.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't go into the portable HP or Amp sections, so i can't comment. but the other areas of the forum seem to be pretty normal.

X2.

I only pulled this thread up because of the title. I think the worst of this is confined to portable gear, which doesn't much interest me.

The rest of the board is usually fine. The occasional troll pops up, but they usually get taken care of.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechosen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who inserts the amp3 and hifiman (mainly the amp3 though) into every conversation, this board is not a personal advertisement site for you. And all you even type similar, so it makes me wonder if that's the same person.

It is funny i was thinking it, you posted it. Last few months i have seen so much Amp3 push it is painful. Also i have seen people have become bit rude.. Maybe it is a phase and as with anything else it will pass .. I hope coz i love this forum and have learnt a lot from it

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is funny i was thinking it, you posted it. Last few months i have seen so much Amp3 push it is painful. Also i have seen people have become bit rude.. Maybe it is a phase and as with anything else it will pass .. I hope coz i love this forum and have learnt a lot from it

You're very right about the rudeness. I have owned and been very happy with the Sony X, and a comment was made early on that the amp3 'kicks the Sony's butt' (amusingly enough, it was made by the main retailer). So I was more than eager to purchase one, burn it in as recommended, and give it a listen. Members in the amp3 thread seemed excited to hear my comparison. But once I posted my final impressions it seemed all the main fans could do is react out of apparently being insulted that their prized possession didn't stack up as advertised. I was accused of not being unbiased in my review, despite my giving it many extended listening sessions and an eager ear. It makes you wonder if the whole thread has become a 'big shill'.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2.

I only pulled this thread up because of the title. I think the worst of this is confined to portable gear, which doesn't much interest me.

The rest of the board is usually fine. The occasional troll pops up, but they usually get taken care of.

Beresford DAC's... IMO, the portable forums are filled with new members who are inexperienced and tend to hype what they have. They often develop unbased brand loyalty just because of what they have heard about something they've never heard. Thus, shilling in the portable forums would be most effective which would explain the recent increase.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're very right about the rudeness. I have owned and been very happy with the Sony X, and a comment was made early on that the amp3 'kicks the Sony's butt' (amusingly enough, it was made by the main retailer). So I was more than eager to purchase one, burn it in as recommended, and give it a listen. Members in the amp3 thread seemed excited to hear my comparison. But once I posted my final impressions it seemed all the main fans could do is react out of apparently being insulted that their prized possession didn't stack up as advertised. I was accused of not being unbiased in my review, despite my giving it many extended listening sessions and an eager ear. It makes you wonder if the whole thread has become a 'big shill'.

For what it's worth, I certainly appreciated your impression as a prospective buyer. I saw it as one of the few completely unbiased impressions in that thread, and it's one of the main reasons I ended up deciding to buy the AMP3, since it seemed like you thought it compared favorably(especially in its price range). I agree with your point that the whole thread(especially the latter part) is becoming suspicious and this constant shilling(probably) is getting out of hand.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beresford DAC's... IMO, the portable forums are filled with new members who are inexperienced and tend to hype what they have. They often develop unbased brand loyalty just because of what they have heard about something they've never heard. Thus, shilling in the portable forums would be most effective which would explain the recent increase.

Such a shame. I hope the state of things doesn't end up turning off new members from getting deeper into the hobby. If they feel taken and used, they might assume that the same happens in the full-sized realm. Too bad people might be missing out on great gear and great conversations asidefrom the portable realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back