TRN impressions thread
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #3,632 of 3,805
My XuanWu is here :sunglasses: :

Quite well made despite the shells being plastic.
It requires quite a lot of power to sound loud enough btw. Also I am liking these new T tips, a bit tacky but very good seal.

Still sit here waiting for impression
It sounds quite similar to the ST5 but with less punch probably due to the plastic shell. I think it will need some more time to stabilize as I am seeing the bass region of the graph varying a lot from measurement to measurement. For now I say it sounds pretty nice with very good clarity and no so-called BA timbre I can hear.
1670382351111.png

Purple is the XuanWu and Cyan is ST5.

Edit: ATM, the ST5 has more forward treble and in general quite a bit more forward which I think can be too much for some tracks while the XW has a smoother treble presentation. Likely due to having less BAs, the mids just below the treble region have a lesser presence. The bass of the two is suprisingly similar in sound with similar quantity and quality but the XW has to be pushed harder with more power. Also I think cable rolling is requried as the sound lacks some focus when using my Hakugei Healer with the XW and it sounds very nice with the EA Cadmus. It sounds at least as good as the ST5 to my ears and in the end I may even prefer it over the ST5. Let's see how it's gonna sound after burn-in.

Edit 2: forget about the cable, it's the tips. The T tips kill the bass as they are too large for me. I think it sounds like a variation of the ST5 or even a refined version. Nice one.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #3,633 of 3,805
It sounds quite similar to the ST5 but with less punch probably due to the plastic shell. I think it will need some more time to stabilize as I am seeing the bass region of the graph varying a lot from measurement to measurement. For now I say it sounds pretty nice with very good clarity and no so-called BA timbre I can hear.
1670382351111.png
Nice!

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,635 of 3,805
This has a square driver like the gumiho, which had a hybrid DD trying to be a planar. That's why people ain't talking about.

Indeed. As far as reports go, the SPD seems to be inferior to the “true” planar driver in the other popular sets (most of which appear to use the same 14.x mm.)

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #3,636 of 3,805

Edit: ATM, the ST5 has more forward treble and in general quite a bit more forward which I think can be too much for some tracks while the XW has a smoother treble presentation. Likely due to having less BAs, the mids just below the treble region have a lesser presence. The bass of the two is suprisingly similar in sound with similar quantity and quality but the XW has to be pushed harder with more power. Also I think cable rolling is requried as the sound lacks some focus when using my Hakugei Healer with the XW and it sounds very nice with the EA Cadmus. It sounds at least as good as the ST5 to my ears and in the end I may even prefer it over the ST5. Let's see how it's gonna sound after burn-in.

Edit 2: forget about the cable, it's the tips. The T tips kill the bass as they are too large for me. I think it sounds like a variation of the ST5 or even a refined version. Nice one.
OK, I am really liking the XuanWu for the smoother sound compared to the ST5 and it is definitely better than the TA1 MAX. It sounds to me the treble of the XuanWu has better dynamic than the ST5 which is especially good for vocales. The ST5 has a sharper sound and more detail in the mids and treble but I think the XuanWu beats the ST5 in smoothness and better sub-bass or maybe even bass. Overall they are close in SQ. I hope TRN can improve their first batch QC thou...

Edit: Also, the XuanWu has a less foward rendition of the sound space so more air is allowed between the notes.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #3,637 of 3,805
1670382351111.png

Interesting, if it's following ST5, but with the harsh edges tidied up.:L3000:

2022 In Summary​

No, I think you are mistaken, there is no problem with drivers functioning.

"Look, we have new single DDs!" (ongoing)

"OMG, Another planar release!" (ongoing)

then​

TRN TA1 Max enters as a challenger in the budget hybrid market.

TRN ST5 follows at a higher price using older BAs rather than a single Knowles.

Kinera release Celeste Gumiho with SPD/BA undercutting both with new tech.

KZ ZS10Pro X follows undercutting all three.

TRN XuanWu follows undercutting all of the above with SPD/BA.

Also a bit of oscillation between musical and analytical tuning also going on in there. We seem to be the ones winning as a result of these price wars!

(Covid and little men having temper tantrums over lost empires, have been a horrific distraction during this year)
Let's hope for better in 2023! :tired_face::rolling_eyes:

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #3,638 of 3,805
I just got word there is now a delay in TRN XuanWu production. They are having delays and the late orders will get a free gift added. Sadly mine seem to be part of the delayed batch?
OK, I am really liking the XuanWu for the smoother sound compared to the ST5 and it is definitely better than the TA1 MAX. It sounds to me the treble of the XuanWu has better dynamic than the ST5 which is especially good for vocales. The ST5 has a sharper sound and more detail in the mids and treble but I think the XuanWu beats the ST5 in smoothness and better sub-bass or maybe even bass. Overall they are close in SQ. I hope TRN can improve their first batch QC thou...

Edit: Also, the XuanWu has a less foward rendition of the sound space so more air is allowed between the notes.

2022 In Summary​

then​

Also a bit of oscillation between musical and analytical tuning also going on in there. We seem to be the ones winning as a result of these price wars!

(Covid and little men having temper tantrums over lost empires, have been a horrific distraction during this year)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #3,639 of 3,805

2022 In Summary​

then​

Interesting!

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #3,640 of 3,805
I just got word there is now a delay in TRN XuanWu production. They are having delays and the late orders will get a free gift added. Sadly mine seem to be part of the delayed batch?
It's best to let them make sure there's no QC problem before shipping in large quantity anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #3,641 of 3,805

What’s different between Xuanwu and TA1 Max in term of sound signature?

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #3,642 of 3,805
What’s different between Xuanwu and TA1 Max in term of sound signature?
TA1 MAX is slower in sound, smaller in stage and has more body and not as clear as the XuanWu. There is also less sub-bass extension. I need to listen to the XuanWu more to confirm as I find the MAX better for female vocale currently thou.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #3,643 of 3,805
TA1 MAX is slower in sound, smaller in stage and has more body and not as clear as the XuanWu. There is also less sub-bass extension. I need to listen to the XuanWu more to confirm as I find the MAX better for female vocale currently thou.
Not the most resovling set but in terms of musicality I would say the XuanWu has to be one of the best IEM I own. So please TRN please improve your QC so not to mess this up.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #3,644 of 3,805
TRN please improve your QC
ok, i'll pass on your wishes :)

Recently there have been many orders for this XuanWu, so there are slight delays in sending. You and I were lucky - we got them first (they will come to me tomorrow).

T tips best for me - very good fit, in my ears they stick like glued. Probably due to the stickiness of the ear pads themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back