Triple Fi 10 with quad drivers???
Dec 14, 2009 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheBoss

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5635287-post1.html

Check out this guy's customs.. he's got QUAD drivers! He says it's like listening to an ultra hi end home audio system than to an IEM!

This is the current triple fi 10 drivers...

Triple.fi_Expsmall.jpg

Noticed that it's missing a "midrange" driver? No wonder some people are complaining that triple fi 10's midrange is recessed...
I hope Logitech-Ultimate Ears incorporate a 4th midrange driver to future model replacement of Triple fi 10s...

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 11
I think Unique Melody does that in China. They add a 4th driver, specifically a mid.

I'm very tempted to have that done to my triple fi. I just have no idea how much it would cost.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 11
Excuse my nub, but wouldn't the mid be one of the "dual low freq driver" ? Low doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a sub? I mean technically anything that isn't high, is a low. So in this situation could the mid not fall into their "low" classification? Please don't flame me if I'm wrong ;p just throwing that in.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Unique Melody does that in China. They add a 4th driver, specifically a mid.

I'm very tempted to have that done to my triple fi. I just have no idea how much it would cost.

I remember the additional driver being a good amount, $150 or something along those lines.
The quad-driver TF10 custom isn't new news guys.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 11
Adding driver not belonged to original design is quite risky, you have to understand that 10 pro is fine tuned by engineer to reproduce sound signature that they are looking for. Letting some random twist original design has no guarantee to reap desired result you want.

I do read some member from other forum report that they don't like the sound signature after mollification. We should bear in mind that 1 + 1 is not always equal 2

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding driver not belonged to original design is quite risky, you have to understand that 10 pro is fine tuned by engineer to reproduce sound signature that they are looking for. Letting some random twist original design has no guarantee to reap desired result you want.

I do read some member from other forum report that they don't like the sound signature after mollification. We should bear in mind that 1 + 1 is not always equal 2

could it be that modder got the crossover settings wrong?

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could it be that modder got the crossover settings wrong?

I guess preference of sound signature depends on people

Even driver numbers are equal between westone Es3x and UE11, each of them has its own fans because of their sound signature, we can see the importance of music engineer. If random guys can easily work out how to mingle drivers well, it is no need for years of research by UE of JH anymore...

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5635287-post1.html

Check out this guy's customs.. he's got QUAD drivers! He says it's like listening to an ultra hi end home audio system than to an IEM!

This is the current triple fi 10 drivers...

Triple.fi_Expsmall.jpg

Noticed that it's missing a "midrange" driver? No wonder some people are complaining that triple fi 10's midrange is recessed...
I hope Logitech-Ultimate Ears incorporate a 4th midrange driver to future model replacement of Triple fi 10s...

The SE530 doesn't have a dedicated mid-range driver, yet its mids are probably the most prominent of any universal IEM currently available, including the UM3X, which does have a dedicated mid-range driver.

For what it's worth, I don't find the TF10's mid-range recessed, it's just not forward.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm Chinese and I've been considering reshelling and adding a extra mid-driver to the TF10 and from what I've read on chinese sites people usually feel that after adding in the new driver the treble is a bit worse and a bit worse in bass. But also some people say that they love it and that overall sound has improved. However, if you like the current TF10 I suggest not to add another driver as the sound signiture will definitely change. If you have a fit issue with your TF then just reshelling would be a better deal. About the prices a reshelling would cost 80 us while adding a mid would cost around 180 us without postage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back