Triple.Fi 10 owners - Want to verify something for me? Have we been using them wrong?
Oct 3, 2009 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mvw2

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased the TF10 as a step back into IEMs. I've been toying with them a bit, and they've always sounded a little off. I toyed with EQing, amping, and recently got some Complys because frankly the stock tips suck.

Anywho, I always had a problem with the stage presentation being off. Location was good, but things just didn't blend together.

I started thinking about the design of the TF10 and the dual port configuration. It makes sense that how you wear it will affect arrival time to your ear drum from each port. I've been wearing it over the ear with phones sticking out goofily. It seems to be the way most folks wear them. I always thought that was odd and have previously worn them hanging downward like you would with a normal IEM. The structure sits flush with the ear in this manner, and it actually sits well on the ear as well as in the canal. I used the stock tips which sucked, so I didn't notice anything much at the time. However, I'm doing it again with the Comply tips and am noticing something rather significant. Wearing them down makes everything sound right. The presentation is actually coherent across the spectrum. I can flip them back up again, and things sound off again.

Have we all been wearing these things wrong?

I must say the presentation is significantly better worn downwards. It seems this was the orientation they were designed for, and the presentation is actually...good. It's strange to think that something like the directly you wear the earphone has that big of a significance, but it really seems to. With the dual port design, it seems to cause big problems when worn the wrong way. The timing from both ports ends up being off and throws off the entire presentation. It's not only staging but also perceived frequency response too. It ends up being pretty messy. I was relatively put off by the TF10 for the most part. Now I actually like them a lot, and it's only because of how I'm wearing them and subsequently how the ports orient themselves with the configuration.

Any other TF10 owner want to try this and see if they hear it too? It's rather significant for me and pretty much makes or breaks the IEM.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 10
I have a pair of UE Super.fi 5 Pros and they have the same design. I wear them as you say, with it curving into my ear and not out, but I wear the cable over my ear as well. You can if you just switch the cables and then put the "right" IEM in your left ear and vice versa. I'm not sure about sound, but it fits a hell of a lot better that way.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Also note that this method is actually mentioned in the insertion video on their website, so it must be pretty common.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 10
When I first got these badboys, I wore them like you suggest and I didn't think anything of it. I then realised there was a reason for the stiff wire and shaping so I started using them over the ear. I didn't notice an immediate difference but now after being more familiar with their sound and doing a test it is noticeable.

I'll test it out tonight with some FLAC and a better source and get back to you.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 10
The way they show on their website is the way that sounds wrong. The pictures and video show it sticking forward/out and over the ear. The pics also show it forwards and down (if you switch the cables). Again, this is the way it sounds bad to me.

When I switch it to facing back/against, it sounds much better, much more coherent. To get it over the ears again, I would have to switch the wires, and I guess I'd have to loop around back to forward instead of up around the front. I'm not sure.

The bad sounding way (not me):
ue.jpg

The better sounding way (not me, and I think Super.Fi 5):
flipflop1aft0.jpg

...although I find it a little better when straight back/slight down and back instead of up like that.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 10
i guess you havent been looking around the forums for a while, theres a whole thread dedicaded to the Super.fi/Triple.fi flip mod,

personaly, i disliked them in both configurations,

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess you havent been looking around the forums for a while, theres a whole thread dedicaded to the Super.fi/Triple.fi flip mod,

personaly, i disliked them in both configurations,

I guess it is a mod... kinda easy simple though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back