TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Aug 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #21,542 of 24,683
So my Icarus III arrived yesterday. Still on the honeymoon fase but they are really good. The best IEM i've had by far. My previous best IEM where the Havi B3 and the Sennheiser CX880 so my bar is set somewhat low compared to some of you guys here.

The Icarus are what i wished the Havi where. Wide soundstage, good separation and somewhat airy tone to it. I love the fact that it kinda creates a studio in your head. The bass is heavy and you can definitely feel it, probably a bit too much for my taste (gold filters). Tried the gold purple black green and blue filters. Despite the fact that i can't barely hear any difference between them (apart from low notes) for now im settling on the blue ones, however i would love a "sparkling" filter with higher notes more noticeable, i might try again the Purple filters. I've noticed that i like a brighter sound signature.

What i really dislike is the big overall size and the width of the nozzle. I have small ear canals and i can't find a small enough tip that will allow me to insert the IEM deep enough. However i do feel that these are not really seal dependent, or at least i can get a good seal with shallow insert. Any recommendations for tips?

Any questions that you guys have just let me know.

Jvc spiral dot tips work best for me. Tried the Trinity hybrids but the small one were difficult to get on and the medium just to big for me!

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #21,544 of 24,683
Interested how they can logically combine the two models - from what I've read previously, the IV has two BAs and a crossover, the III has one BA and no crossover. If they add an extra BA to the III but no X-over, that would more than likely make it a worse proposition than the IV as it is now. If they added a X-over to the III and retained the existing drivers that would be more likely to improve sound, so that's the only thing I could see them doing.

Anyone else care to hazard a guess?

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #21,545 of 24,683
The guy I was referring to is a friend, someone I had traded headphones and earphones with. He recieved the V2 a couple of days ago.
If you go the Kickstarter, he had a similar experience with his V2.
Wait, so did your friend share experience on KS? I saw a person by the handle of Newguy on KS comments say they still got the dropout issues and that's what my post was referring to.

Because they were never intended to be actual product lines. TAE customers are just beta testers.
Beta testers? Hardly even that.....beta testers usually get a product to test.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #21,546 of 24,683
Wait, so did your friend share experience on KS? I saw a person by the handle of Newguy on KS comments say they still got the dropout issues and that's what my post was referring to.

Good question. I'm not sure if he did share his experience on KS.

All he mentioned to me was: "good news I got the improved version of the Air, the bad news is that I can't use them". When I asked why he said "go to the KS discussion, this is what I'm experiencing".

I will check with him if he posted anything on KS.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #21,548 of 24,683
I wonder how many people have made the preorder of the Icarus II DAP and what are their thoughts...
I have joined the club on (pre)ordering the Icarus II DAP; as we all know, the last news were that the last minute changes to the shell of the DAP have been made, and it was said (Dave guy at Trinity) in the update that the intention is to ship them soon (if they are in production stages still - that could take time... ) ...

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #21,550 of 24,683
I didn't need a DAP and didn't order this one. My thought - what does a "speaker" company know about making complicated electronics like a DAP?

The ways of the industry are ... well... peculiar these days, and the question is and remains how they have conceived and realized the product, but most of all who has done that... It can be sort of an "outsorced" project, after all many of the today's DAPs are conceived in far east, more specifically China, so for all we know, it could have gone that way... Seeing Shanling M1 and Ruizu A50 I might be lead to think that Trinity or any company knowing where to outsorce the work might make a decent DAP.

I needed something which has the specs of the Icarus II (i would have been looking forward to DSD capability though), but for me the small(ish) form factor, and (possibly) even the small (or largely absent) screen were desirable features, so I went for it without hesitation... I hope It will meet the expectation, since the Trinity pay attention to the sq as the feature of their products.

I have grown tired of tinkering with the Iphone and Audioquest Dragonfly Red, due to the apple camera adapter making the whole contraption a bit clumsy, or the old (very battery flexible though) Iriver IFP 799T that I pulled out of the drawer and started using again.

The problem with the latter (Iriver) are the slow data transfer times, as well as very limited memory by today's standards (1GB in total), and also limited number of audio formats supported.
A big plus, in my book, is the AA battery - you simply swap it and are good to go for some time... much better - to me - than the built in batteries of today, more flexible.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #21,551 of 24,683
Posted on KS

I said a while ago that i didn't think v2 had fixed the problem. If it had they would have sung it from the rooftops, justifying the delays by saying "we have delivered what we promised". Instead, we got a simple "1000+ Phantom Air are being shipped, ' on the blog (not even an as update to backers)

I thought the same thing

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #21,554 of 24,683
So my Icarus III arrived yesterday. Still on the honeymoon fase but they are really good. The best IEM i've had by far. My previous best IEM where the Havi B3 and the Sennheiser CX880 so my bar is set somewhat low compared to some of you guys here.

The Icarus are what i wished the Havi where. Wide soundstage, good separation and somewhat airy tone to it. I love the fact that it kinda creates a studio in your head. The bass is heavy and you can definitely feel it, probably a bit too much for my taste (gold filters). Tried the gold purple black green and blue filters. Despite the fact that i can't barely hear any difference between them (apart from low notes) for now im settling on the blue ones, however i would love a "sparkling" filter with higher notes more noticeable, i might try again the Purple filters. I've noticed that i like a brighter sound signature.

What i really dislike is the big overall size and the width of the nozzle. I have small ear canals and i can't find a small enough tip that will allow me to insert the IEM deep enough. However i do feel that these are not really seal dependent, or at least i can get a good seal with shallow insert. Any recommendations for tips?

Any questions that you guys have just let me know.

I find that they need wider bores than the provided tips, which make them sound too thick and bassy to my ears. I use some that I had in my supply but I don't know where they came from; the Spiral Dot would also be a good bet though. The wide bore gives a more open and balanced sound.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #21,555 of 24,683
I find that they need wider bores than the provided tips, which make them sound too thick and bassy to my ears. I use some that I had in my supply but I don't know where they came from; the Spiral Dot would also be a good bet though. The wide bore gives a more open and balanced sound.

Spiral dots work great with the Icarus III They're just hard to source in the UK at a sensible price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back