TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Dec 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #9,196 of 24,683
  I have read that an AMP can help the PM4 shine more. I wonder if the new Sony NW-A35 can drive them better than a cellphone. It only has 35 mW per channel. Can anybody help me? Because I'm planning to get that as a DAP.

Depends on your smartphone I guess. In my limited experience with the PM4 so far low output impedance makes more of a difference, which should be good for the Sony but I couldn't find the value. 35mW is plenty, but that is only at 16 Ohm, whereas the PM4 are 160 Ohm, meaning that that output power will likely decrease quite a bit still. Should be enough though; can't imagine Sony putting in an OpAmp that wont be able to drive something like this in such an expensive player.

You might want to look up your phone on GSMarena to check the audio specs and compare.

EDIT: They're 16 Ohms. Woops.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #9,197 of 24,683
  Depends on your smartphone I guess. In my limited experience with the PM4 so far low output impedance makes more of a difference, which should be good for the Sony but I couldn't find the value. 35mW is plenty, but that is only at 16 Ohm, whereas the PM4 are 160 Ohm, meaning that that output power will likely decrease quite a bit still. Should be enough though; can't imagine Sony putting in an OpAmp that wont be able to drive something like this in such an expensive player.

You might want to look up your phone on phonearena to check the audio specs and compare.

I'm pretty sure the PM4's are 16 Ohm.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #9,200 of 24,683
You have: Ostry kc06a and the legendary Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition. How do they compare to them? I have the Ostry also, they are very special for the price, tad hot on some songs but 90% there.

@Hi-Fi'er

sorry for a late reply 

now, i am not a great writer and English is not my primary language , but I'll try to provide as much info as i can

first of all, from my point of view these iems need amping, for me there is like night and day difference how they sound with/without amplifier and you definitely need to use high quality recordings like Chesky, Stockfisch and etc. so these 2 components will get you to heaven with PM4, of course you could still enjoy it unamped and with lower quality material but that would be a waste of a great potential here

Now back to your question, I can't compare Ostry and Gr02 to PM4 in any way, PM4 is on a different level in every aspect, actually it has a such an addictive sound signature that I did not listen to any of my iems or over the ear phones since I got them, they are so good indeed. one thing though , if somebody is into electronic music or hip hop I would not advise these iems ( me myself have a huge collection of that type of music) but if you like jazz, blues, acoustics and etc you will be a very happy listener, there is something unique in terms how they sound that I can not define yet 

there are many combinations of filters and eartips that you will get in the box, but actually I am using eartip from fidelio S2 that suits me more than any included one in terms of how it sounds 

I was thinking how to explain all the details how it sounds and then I realized that I can do it it with just one word, ALIVE, these iems are so alive that my jaw still drops when I do listen to the music, using parasound zdac v2 as a dac and Matrix M-Stage HPA 3B (Dual LME49710) as an amp and a great quality material 

cheers  

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #9,201 of 24,683
I currently use an ostry kc06a on the go -- tough mofo survived hard tugs and an actually wash and dry!

I should be expecting my pm4 this week. Let me get back to you. My gear is compromised of 1st gen xuelin 770 and AMPED by an Alo Rx (for iems). Curious for the soundstage since I did appreciate the FLC8S highs and sonic presentation.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #9,202 of 24,683
I currently use an ostry kc06a on the go -- tough mofo survived hard tugs and an actually wash and dry!

I should be expecting my pm4 this week. Let me get back to you. My gear is compromised of 1st gen xuelin 770 and AMPED by an Alo Rx (for iems). Curious for the soundstage since I did appreciate the FLC8S highs and sonic presentation.

will be interesting !

by the way my beloved combo of hidizs ap100 and cayin c5 that has a great synergy wit almost everything, sounds like a crap in combination with PM4, go figure  

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #9,203 of 24,683
will be interesting !

by the way my beloved combo of hidizs ap100 and cayin c5 that has a great synergy wit almost everything, sounds like a crap in combination with PM4, go figure  
strange because my cayin c5 paired with android hifi me diy dac sounds quality, listening right now on the way to work

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #9,205 of 24,683

pm4 silver dampened filters, red tips, neutron player through the cayin n5

pm4 is nice on complicated music cause it has 4 quad dynamic and manages to get dynamic range on songs like [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/SSCzDykng4g[/VIDEO]

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #9,208 of 24,683
Finally getting some quality listening time with my PM4 AND for the first time I heard the shrill treble that some have noticed - and it was source related for me.

I have a D-JIX M550 (version of the Kogan player). It is a bright detailed source. Synergy is not good with PM4. Sounds amazing for 2 minutes. Painful thereafter.

With my ulefone Vienna which is slightly warm things are much better.

I think I need a different source. I have the RE00 which sound amazing at 50% volume with the Vienna. I have to go to 70+ to match with Pm4.

They sound good but I think are capable of more with a better matched source. I prefer them to my first gen Q-Jays by quite a bit and also my ATH-CMK99.

Looks like a new source for Christmas then!

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #9,209 of 24,683
Finally getting some quality listening time with my PM4 AND for the first time I heard the shrill treble that some have noticed - and it was source related for me.

I have a D-JIX M550 (version of the Kogan player). It is a bright detailed source. Synergy is not good with PM4. Sounds amazing for 2 minutes. Painful thereafter.

With my ulefone Vienna which is slightly warm things are much better.

I think I need a different source. I have the RE00 which sound amazing at 50% volume with the Vienna. I have to go to 70+ to match with Pm4.

They sound good but I think are capable of more with a better matched source. I prefer them to my first gen Q-Jays by quite a bit and also my ATH-CMK99.

Looks like a new source for Christmas then!

What filters are you using on pm4? A warmish filter would do with a bright source

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #9,210 of 24,683
Gunmetal. You may be right as the bass is also slightly lacking with the djix. To be honest I'm not that worried as the djix isn't that useable (interface) and my phone is good enough for now and takes all the shrillness away.

It just made me wonder if this is what others are hearing when they say the treble is too much for them. (Oh and any excuse to spend some more money!)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back