Tried JVC RX700 & the CAL! need more recommendation pls!
Jun 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RabbitHole

New Head-Fier
Thanks for stopping by Head-Fiers!

New member here, I've been wanting a set of my first quality cans without spending too much for just daily use with music(iphone4S, laptop), movies(laptop, tv), & gaming(360).  This site has been very helpful and I'm glad that I found it.

At first I wanted something just under around $50 and read all the good stuff about the JVC RX700, so I went ahead and got those from Amazon($32).  After burn-in for 5 hours, I felt that these had lack of bass, but the quality of music is good but just no bass.

Next, the Creative Aurvana Live was recommended for boomy bass, got that(Amazon $92), After 2 hours  burn-in, I felt the bass was not enough.  It was there but I was expecting more as many on here has said the bass was very good on these.  IMO, they were just average, the highs were sharp too, could use more time burning in maybe.

Finally, my main question, what's the next set of cans I should try without spending over $150 as it seems like only upping the price will lead to something of my preference.

All suggestions are welcome!  Thanks for the help!

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
The Ultrasone HFI-580 sound good for you. Nice amounts of bass while still keeping a good amount of clarity in the other spectrums. 

I'm going to disagree here. Yes, they have a nice amount of bass, but I was disappointed in the clarity. They have the Grado effect -- if you emphasize the treble, headphones sound more detailed. I level matched the treble down via equalization to my other headphones and compared them. I found the HFI-580 and the HFI-780 from Ultrasone both to be rather lacking in overall microdetailing. If you still own the Ultrasones, give that a shot. I was surprised how bad they were at detail retrieval -- I've heard budget headphones that detailed better than those Ultrasones at a fraction of the cost. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 5
M Audio Q40 is another step up in bass quantity.

You skipped over the Sony XB500 and XB700, which are designed for bass lovers.  ljokerl has reviews of all three in his thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for all your suggestions!

Another poster on another thread has pointed me to the buyer's guide on this forum.

The Sony XB500 will be next to try, already have the order placed(Amazon 50), will post an update next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back