Treble sensitive. Searching for excellent bass & gentle highs headphones
Nov 13, 2018 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

liampanto

Head-Fier
I thought hd598 cs would do the job, but was disappointed. Sounded to me like speakers covered with a blanket. Dull and boring. After two weeks returned them back to Amazon.
Recently, I have been listening to Grados sr 225e , and while I like the bass, the highs iritate my ears.
I listen mostly to bass jazz, blues, and classical music, and l double-bass, cello, drums are my favorite instruments.
Are there closed-back headphones with good bass and gentle highs for sensitive ears:)? Thank you very much.
(After some research I put together a list of the headphones that, according to the reviews I read, could fulfill my expectations. And there are: ATH M50x, MSR7, HD380, V-MODA-100, Momentum 2. Any thoughts on these? )

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 26
I thought hd598 cs would do the job, but was disappointed. Sounded to me like speakers covered with a blanket. Dull and boring. After two weeks returned them back to Amazon.

It's a little difficult to reconcile those requirements and reality vs what you're hearing.

If you're "treble sensitive" it's easy enough to find something with less treble than that...however you already hear them like they're veiled. Which is weird considering they have a practically flat plateau from 500hz to 2000hz, barely dips at 3000hz, then peaks up at 4000hz, then nose dives at 5800hz, then you have a high peak at 9000hz. Basically, it's very, very, very difficult to reconcile being treble sensitive when this sounds veiled as opposed to "borderline scratching a black board."

If you had the HD650 it could just be a matter of the bass plateau needing trimming (or get an HD600 and trim the 3500hz peak if it hurts), but in your case, recommending anything with smoother and weaker treble than the 598CS can make your problem worse, but getting something with more treble can be problematic as most tend to just have more jagged response with louder treble peaks.

If you can tweak that I'd take the pads off and get rid of the foam covering the driver; or whatever you're using to drive these has a high output impedance boosting its bass, something that will make it problematic on any low impedance headphone you get since they will all get EQ-d, but it can go either way. Also, wherever you buy, make sure you can either try them out in the store or if online, that they have a decent return policy.

Recently, I have been listening to Grados sr 225e , and while I like the bass, the highs iritate my ears.
I listen mostly to bass jazz, blues, and classical music, and l double-bass, cello, drums are my favorite instruments.

If by "bass" you mean the hard, higher frequency bass notes on the "attack" of the drums on, for example, a Mighty Mo Rogers or Michael Ruff track, then that's not surprising as Grados do well in that area. Too well that, objectively, it's not necessarily good - they have an upper bass peak followed by an early bass roll off. Which means that if you're referring to the really low bass and you have a lot of it in there, it adds more to the possibility that whatever you're plugging them into has a high output impedance that is messing with the sound, so it's hard to rely on graphs since your gear will change it (and not in a predictable manner) on top of your own perception and the way you wear the headphones (ie wearing Grados slightly forward from the ear canal reduces how bad that treble can be for example; wearing headphones too tight also boosts the bass; etc).

Are there closed-back headphones with good bass and gentle highs for sensitive ears:)? Thank you very much.
(After some research I put together a list of the headphones that, according to the reviews I read, could fulfill my expectations. And there are: ATH M50x, MSR7, HD380, V-MODA-100, Momentum 2. Any thoughts on these? )

Maybe try the HD380 but given it isn't one of the more expensive and more audiophile let alone esoteric products, see if local stores - maybe even pro audio stores - have demo units first and preferably try it with the exact device you're using.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 26
B&O H6 2nd generation is about as smooth and balanced, with a slightly notched up low end as one can find imo. Plus the mids aren't scooped.

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 26
Sounds like the Beyerdynamic DT-150 to me, which can sometimes be found for cheap. I think I paid around $100 for my pair.

Your problems with the "veil" on the HD598 could be amp related. Some of these cans scale pretty well and need to be driven appropriate to sound non-muddled. Consider a resolving but warm-ish amp and multibit DAC. D/S dacs sound too digital to me, which often manifests itself as harsh treble, IMHO. So DT-150 + Schiit Modi MB + a Project Polaris or Ember II would likely sound excellent (could be beyond your budget). Schiit Fulla 2 or similar might get you partway there, though.

Most of the cheap cans you mentioned above (M50x, V-Moda) have decent base but "sparkly" treble.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 26
Modhouse Audio Argon:
Epic bass
massive soundstage
smoooove treble

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 26
Audioquest Nighthawks if treble is a problem.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 26
I'm somewhat on the same page as cruelhand luke. But my recommendation is for the ZMF classic's. Very very similar but the general consensus is that the modhouse argons have even more bass. Which having the ZMF classics I can't even imagine. Just make sure you have a powerful amp to power these. I just recently purchased the Liquid spark and its a very good pairing for almost no money. But most recommend and agree the Emotiva A-100 really makes them come alive. But I can not comment on that as I haven't heard it myself. The Classic's have excellent bass a fantastic midrange, smooth highs but still holds onto details and has a very good soundstage and imaging. I would seriously consider these for what your looking for. You might also consider something like a Schiit loki EQ so you can tame the highs and bring up the bass on any headphone you choose. Cheap solution that might be easier on your wallet and it will work with all future purchases. Some food for thought.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 26
I'm somewhat on the same page as cruelhand luke. But my recommendation is for the ZMF classic's. Very very similar but the general consensus is that the modhouse argons have even more bass. Which having the ZMF classics I can't even imagine. Just make sure you have a powerful amp to power these. I just recently purchased the Liquid spark and its a very good pairing for almost no money. But most recommend and agree the Emotiva A-100 really makes them come alive. But I can not comment on that as I haven't heard it myself. The Classic's have excellent bass a fantastic midrange, smooth highs but still holds onto details and has a very good soundstage and imaging. I would seriously consider these for what your looking for. You might also consider something like a Schiit loki EQ so you can tame the highs and bring up the bass on any headphone you choose. Cheap solution that might be easier on your wallet and it will work with all future purchases. Some food for thought.
zmf classic is possibly a better choice if availability is important. good call..Argons have a little more mystique, but ZMFs are a great choice.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 26
I'll be recommending the Classics also for the simple reason that they give me the most enjoyment when listening to music compared to all the other headphones I've owned thus far. They are just so good for the money when amped properly. when you have your friends come over that are used to apple earpods and Beats and you put the Classics on their head. They literally go, What! These sound amazing! I'm sure the Argons are the same way. I would love to compare the two someday side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back