transporting cds - help ?
May 5, 2006 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

monkeygod

100+ Head-Fier
hey all,

so with all the discussion about music collections here, i thought someone might be able to give me a few good suggestions.

the situation is that i'm moving back to singapore in a few months, after spending several years in the US at college. i've amassed a respectable number of CDs (800-900), and am trying to figure out what the most cost-effective way of getting these back home in one piece is.

obviously with this many, i can't just bung them all in a suitcase and carry them with me ... am still debating whether or not i want to bother stripping them all out of their cases and slapping them in large wallets (that slappa discount might come in verrry handy).

since i have digital copies of pretty much everything, speed (e.g. surface mail), isn't an issue either-although customs *might* be (cases might be a plus since then they'll 'know' the cds are legit).

thanks in advance !

May 5, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 2
I have used freight services twice when moving from overseas to the US. This was for household goods that was collected and didn't want to part with. Seems like it was about $1000 for a cubic meter. It took between 1 and 2 months for the crate to get delivered to a local company for me to pick it up. The price for volume would be OK if they could quote you for smaller volumes.

My first shipment was from Beijing, China. It was loaded with vases. Nothing broke! The second shipment was from Manila, Philippines. It was turned upside down at some point, but still did pretty good on that one also. They broke the glass to a large frame, and a couple of my wifes angels.

If you have enough other stuff to move, this may be worth looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back