transformers and cd player
Sep 26, 2003 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I will be bringing back a cd player from japan, which runs on 100v. I was told to get a transformer for it, to step it down to 100v in north america.

Will the quality of this transformer affect the sound quality of the cd player? I know that there are some expensive transformers out there used by audiophiles, but are these generally for things that draw more power? will the cd players performance be affected?

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 13
The short answer is yes. But how much can not really be determined until you try it.

In our units, I sometimes accidentaly plug 100V/50Hz units destined for Japan into our 120V/60Hz sockets. The units always work 100% correctly and I don't even notice the issue until much later (sometimes hours) when I look down and read the label on the AC module.

I don't suggest that this is true with every player under every condition. It depends on the tolerances/design of the power supply and transformers. Truth be told your 120V lines sometimes drop to approaching 100V without you even knowing it.

Sep 27, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 13
If you forget you are using the wrong voltage it will work, but in the long run the life of the unit will be significantly shortened. One day it could just die. Not to mention any timing or clock issues. I've found a couple of useful sites when I was researching what I'd need to retire overseas and still run my stuff. The second link won't apply to your situation, but it's interesting anyway.

Overseas Electronics--Transformer or Adapters

Worlwide Voltage Guide

Sep 27, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Will using a cheap transformer affect the sound quality? I dont want to take any chances of damaging the unit, its far too expensive for my budget.

But at the same time, I dont want to end up using a transformer if its just going to degerade the sound quality.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi fractus2
I'm unable to open the link to.....
Overseas Electronics--Transformer or Adapters
Would you please repost it or give me the link. I'm very interested in reading more about using step-down transformers in audiophile quality systems.
Thanks Dan

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
Will using a cheap transformer affect the sound quality? I dont want to take any chances of damaging the unit, its far too expensive for my budget.

But at the same time, I dont want to end up using a transformer if its just going to degerade the sound quality.

Has anyone had experience with this?

My beloved Kenwood RD-VH7 is of the Japanese variety. I ran it for a long time without the step-down transformer, and may have killed it (it ran hot, which is bad for a CD player). I have since picked up the step-down transformer from Audiocubes that they sell, and have noticed no sound degradation as a result. That said, it may already be too late, and I wish I had been doing this from the beginning.

Sep 27, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 13
I suggest you to give it a try like this, to mess around with transformers is always worst, or try to modify the internal power supply, sometimes is very simple others maybe be complicated, I remember to had used an old vintage Pioneer amp that was originally prepared for 100v all the time running on 120, and the only thing I noticed, was that it overheated a little bit, but worked perfectly....

Sep 27, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 13
sovkiller, why is it bad to mess with transformers? to me the bad idea seems to be to potentially damage the cd player by running it at the wrong voltage. as for changing the tap, this unit is only available in europe and japan, so i dont know if it would be able to run at 117v, although i might try to find out.

thanks.

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
sovkiller, why is it bad to mess with transformers? to me the bad idea seems to be to potentially damage the cd player by running it at the wrong voltage. as for changing the tap, this unit is only available in europe and japan, so i dont know if it would be able to run at 117v, although i might try to find out.

thanks.

Of course you could ruin it, all dpends if the power supply is able to take that overload or not, is risky, but why not try to find out with the manufacturer also, maybe they could even have a solution for that problem, and maybe they could have a transformer already in mind for that, or will give you an idea of what to do inside the power supply, but most of the times the tranformers you get to step down or step up, are not even regular, and most of the times, are not even made for audio applications, are bulky, noisy, crappy cables, and outlets, it doesn't make sense to me to get a VD power cable to hook it on a crappy transformer, where is the benefit...but if you can get a decent one, I don't see any problem on using it, but a good one.

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Jefemeister pointed out that the AC voltage in your house can often drop below 120V, but the opposite is true as well. I've never measured below 125V in my house (other than during Blackout '03), and it usually is higher. Definitely use a step-down transformer.

If you are looking for a cheap step-down transformer, there's a chance that it will be an autotransformer. Autotransformers can use thinner windings and a smaller core, so they're cheaper to make. Autotransformers, however, offer no insulation between the primary and secondary windings. Any noise on the primary is therefore transmitted pretty much without loss to the secondary winding. With a regular insulating type, over a certain frequency range, you'll get some attenuation of noise(non-60hz signal).

Disclaimer: we are now entering audiophile voodoo land, reader discretion is advised.

Now as to how audible these differences may be, I have no idea. On the one hand, the autotransfomer MAY perserve the noise spectrum of your AC power fairly well, preventing sonic impact. On the other hand, while a regular insulating type would very likely change the noise spectrum of your AC power, this spectral change is more likely to correspond to that caused by the internal transformer of your CDP.

There are MANY other variables that could change when you add ANY device to your outlet. Jefemeister is right here; I don't think there is anyone who could predict how an additional transformer would affect the sound in your system, even if they knew the exact electrical and physical characteristics of the transformer you were going to buy.

The bottom-line? Just buy one and hope for the best. Heck, it could even improve the sound of your system.

Oh, and transformers aren't the only things out there, that will step-down your AC voltage. I have a "voltage converter" that simply uses a thyristor (like used in light-dimmers) to do this job. More modern light dimmers might use triacs, but even these have heavily distorted outputs. I probably don't need to tell you this, but stay away from these devices. You can spot these because they'll be much lighter than a transformer (duh, they don't have iron cores). I only mention this, because I found an add in the paper for a 120V=>100V step-down transformer and the guy showed up with one of these. I ended up buying it anyway, because I needed it for my soldering irons.

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 13
And what about making someone to modify the power supply to taylor your needs, it sould be no much more expensive than a good transformer, and a permanet solution, maybe replacing a diode, a couple of resistors, or a trasistor, will work fine, some of those power supplies are very simple to mod, even keeping the same transformer, just knowing the output voltage and current requirements.....

Sep 29, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 13
Could i take it to a hifi shop in Toronto? WOudl they be able to look at it for me and make the changes?

Can anyone recommend a place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back