transformer-related questions
Jul 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

John In Cali

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a  24v 450ma transformer from radioshack to use with a cheap desktop cmoy.  
the schematic i'm going off of http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/misc/cmoy-tangent-sch.pdf
1.  I have a wire with ground to the wall jack(three prong) would this make anything easier or change anything for the better in the cmoy's circuit or should i just leave the ground connection alone?
2.  The transformer has two yellow (12v?) wires and one black wire.  As far as positive/negative goes which are which. The schematic calls for one positive, one negative; will i have to do anything to get this?
3.  Will changing input voltages affect output volumes?  I have a mono 100k potentiometer so i am hoping i can change the output volume by have the input of the transformer run through a potentiometer before getting to the proto-board thus adjusting the input voltage to the chip (reducing the volume?).  
            3a.  If i do run it through the pot should i run one of the 12v through and it meet the other 12v for a constant 12 + (whatever i have the pot set to) or both of the lines for a 0-24v volt             connection? 

Sorry for the laundry list of dumb questions, just wanted to make sure that i was doing everything right.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I think you need an ac adapter. Transformers usually output AC rather than DC.
You could build a TREAD(see tangetsoft, oops sorry tangentsoft doesn't seem to have a page for their TREAD design anymore) to accompany your Transformer.

Remember you'll need a regulated dc power supply.

WARNING do not connect your transformer to the cmoy. You will fry it.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 8
Hmmm it seems TREAD's page is broken.  Know of any other ways to see it, steps to make it or schematics?
Also i ran yellow to black with a rectifier in between and im getting 6v on my multimeter and when i run yellow to yellow i get 12v.  The transformer is rated for 2 12 volt rails.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge but could you tell me where my rectifiers should go and where im getting the 12v from?

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 8
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-ps.html

this might help

I think you can buy a power supply regulator kit on ebay

somthing like this which kinda looks almost exactly like Tangetsoft's TREAD(from memory)

They also have it preassembled
 http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5-27V-DC-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Module-LM317-/200615222080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5995b40

The board accepts either ac or dc input and outputs a regulated dc.

A rectifier alone would leave it still unregulared

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Jul 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Do you think a 2500uf cap will smooth enough to be suitable for the amp? Should i add a resistor at the end to lessen the draw on the cap giving the cap more time to charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back