Transformer magnetics... noob ????s
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure where to post this...  I'll try here for starters.

So a transformer takes in 110/220 @ 60Hz from the wall, surrounds an iron core with "hot" coil windings.  A magnetic field results.   Lower voltage AC is produced by a secondary coil thats immersed in the field.

If a strong magnet is placed next to either coil, does the steady magnetic field produce DC in either coil?
If thats the case and you had a strong enough magnet and an efficient enough coil... could the resulting DC be used to replace a battery?. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Subscribed. 

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but want to hear why from someone else. Doug or JCX to the rescue! 

My guesses:
It sounds like you're on the way to describing a simple generator. 
I'm pretty sure you need to "move" the magnetic field to "move" the electrons in the wires. 
In a generator you do this by spinning a magnet in a single loop (or many loops in series as is more common :wink: ) of wire
In a transformer you interconnect 2 "loops" and the one loop generates the "moving" field, the other accepts it. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Nikongod is right.

A transformer never produces DC.

A large magnet placed near to a transformer will have one certain result. It will partially or completely saturate the core, resulting in reduced funtionality at AC.

In order to produce an output the 'lines of flux' are required to 'cut' the conductor. IOW they cannot be static.

If a magnet is brought up to a solenoid then, as it approaches, current will flow in one direction. This results in an induced field. When the magnet stops moving closer, the current its movement creates ceases to flow. Ar a result of the cessation of current flow the induced field collapses, and current flows in the opposite direction. Hence the output, although flowing briefly in one direction then reverses and cannot be considered to be DC.

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back