Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #4,336 of 6,404
  first of all super car comparison does not stand any criticism... if we talk about super car then please go to specially tweak CIEMs costing many thousands and custom made from top to bottom including sound sig tuning.

so 1p2 is not super car man.... sorry

Personally, I feel that I'm fairly qualified to comment on the state of the high-end IEM and CIEM industry, but okay.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #4,337 of 6,404
  Good stuff, Lachs!

However, I want to clarify a few things before there's confusion: There is a reason for all that "empty space" behind the dynamic driver. I've actually heard a prototype miniaturized version of the old 1Plus2 aka Rhapsodio RDB V1 (or whatever it's called) that placed the BA receiver and the dynamic driver in a package the size of an RHA MA450 (no joke, the case is exactly the same, I think it's from the same mold) --- the sound was good, but the bass wasn't nearly as tight. The "empty space" is actually filled with speaker cabinet damping material (looks like clay-like goop and cotton/fiberglass), which is supposed to help adjust the bass response of the 1Plus2 to make it sound the way it does in the bass region. I've actually also heard the Ranko RIE-1020, which sounds a bit different from the 1Plus2. It has the same damping material, but is used differently. It also has a crossover change, AFAIK.

Yet, I do agree with the fact that build quality in the 1Plus2 does not match most consumer expectations of its price. Perhaps that's why it's only marketed toward the most hardcore of in-ear audiophiles... I would love to see the 1Plus2 evolve into something more ergonomically sound, and have its build quality improved several-fold. It seems, however, that fans of the 1Plus2 love it for its specific sound signature.

Thanks Tom! Trust you to have some insider insight on this hah. If this is indeed true I'll make some addendum to my review. I could not visually determine what was behind the dynamic driver but it honestly seemed like a bunch of blank plastic to me.

That said, I can't help but feel the 1Plus2 could have been designed differently. Looking at the SE215 or Westone ADV for instance, you could imagine modifications on that style that could accomodate the 1Plus2 internals in a much more ergonomic package. Both of those IEMs (the Westone ADV especially) are also much better in terms of build quality. 

The revised Null Audio Elpis I have also has some pretty impressively tight bass, though I am still really getting a grip on it.

however i am against when people start talking down the product only because its price is prohibitive.
you know Ferrari is very expensive car, so would you suggest measuring Ferrari vs. Mercedes or Land Rover pound-for-pound as boxers would say? 
tongue.gif

If you read a_recording's post closely, I think this is the most telling statement: "I tend to think of expensive audio gear as an aspirational purpose" --- he regards high-end audio gear as something that sets benchmarks on all fronts, in both build quality/ergonomics and sound.

Extending your car analogy, the price of the 1Plus2 is more along the lines of a "hypercar", which is supposed to function as a halo car and be tops in everything --- think of the Koenigsegg Agera R, Pagani Huayra, Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Lamborghini Veneno, etc. These are million dollar cars that dwarf the price tags of even so-called supercars, like the Ferrari 450 Italia, Lamborghini Aventador, etc. These cars have the purpose of inspiring young boys to put up posters on their walls. Something like the AKG K3003 does a similar thing for in-ears. I think that the 1Plus2 falls short of that in the looks and ergonomics category. In that sense, it's more like a Radical SR8 (still very expensive, mind you) --- looks silly, rides terribly, but posts insane Nurburgring lap times.

This is indeed the important aspect to me. I'm not disparaging the 1Plus2 simply because it is expensive. I think the AKG K3003 or IE800 for instance are beautifully crafted examples of engineering. Though I might not be personally able to afford them, I can imagine being proud to own them.

For reference, I think something like the SE846 is a huge letdown simply because, again, it's plastic.

As I said, my review is from my personal perspective. I know some people are after a no holds-barred approach when it comes to sound quality, kind of like how Lotus designs fast cars by removing the air conditioning or other amenities.

I'm the kind of person who would rather something like the Lexus LF-A, which combines material science innovation, performance and beauty.

I feel most negatively about the cable, but again I'm not a cable guy. I just think for $800 it should at least look and feel better. A few days ago a friend showed me his Oyaide cable which was 6000 yen and I could see why you would buy it: it was well made, clean, practical and seemingly high quality. I don't get that feeling with the 1Plus2.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #4,338 of 6,404
mate, i had chance to compare 1p2 to k3003. for me 1p2 was still winning in comfort and sound aspects despite sound wise k3003 is darn close to 1p2 with some aspects being tuned slightly differently. for this reason i called k3003 a polite version of 1p2.

make wise k3003 surprises you positively, shiny body, quality materials.... IF only cable was detachable. however i had more problem and time to spend before i found comfort seal with k3003, shells were a bit heavy on my ears, i did not like metallic chill either. also i prefer wearing cable over my ears.

but that's me. talking about make and sound k3003 is great IEM and must not be overlooked as it delivers a lot for the price. is it expensive? yes! is it less flexible? yes! so if you have no money to afford k3003 you can look elsewhere but for the price k3003 will please even most demanding audiophiles. there is no direct contest between k3003 and 1p2, it rather boils down to your personal preferences so only you can answer which one you like better. that said both IEMs will surprise you with clean, well controlled and lively sound and will deliver many hours of musical pleasure to their proud owners.

NB: please see how i wrote the last paragraph when comparing things.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #4,339 of 6,404
Just want to share my own experience with the aesthetics/build quality aspects on the 1plus2.  This is not a review, but a rather detailed sharing of my purchase struggles and experiences.

I must preface this by saying I'm a really superficial guy who ALWAYS judge a book by its cover.  Aesthetics/form factor had played a key role in nearly all of my purchases. I paid usd300 extra just to get the chrome plate for my ASG2.  I was even willing to compromise on the AK100 to replace my DX100 just based on looks.  Thus far in the Audiophile-land I surprised myself with two purchases, and the 1plus2 is one of them.

The beginning
Before I first demo'ed the 1plus2, I was really skeptical and suspected this is just another overpriced fad.   It wasn't until I read many positive reviews and impressions of peopled I had followed/respected on HF for quite some time (way before I joined as a posting member), I decided to get a demo.

First encounter
At my first demo, I believe I confirmed my suspicious was confirmed at first sight.  It didn't look premium at all.  The cable connectors particularly look ugly.  The shell and faceplate themselves are okay but doesn't carry themselves as totl product.  I guess I lost maybe 90% of my interest on the spot already.  I proceed to demo with my favorite album/tracks for a good hour or so and came away not overly impressed. The meeting concluded with me politely thanking Gavin.

The missing bit
My trouble actually started AFTER this demo - even right after we parted ways and I went on to the local subway putting on my TG334, I felt something is not right.  This feeling will grew overtime and I went as far as trying out many many IEMs in various price range trying to find that "missing bit", but it was nowhere to be found.  Only then knew I had already fallen IN LOVE with the 1plus2.  On one hand I deem its aesthetics falling short of my standard, on the other hand I was mesmerized with it unique soundstage and tuning.  The feeling grew stronger and stronger and I finally broke down after a couple months ordering one WITHOUT another demo.  

The unboxing
I still remember it was a Friday afternoon I receive my package.  The unboxing was uninspired as it partially reminds me why it took me so much struggle to finally ordered it and I examine it like I'm trying to find any flaw or excuse to return it.  However it was also obvious this new unit had been put together with care and it felt solid and robust.  The cable were more supple than I remembered, and the shell/faceplate looked more polished.  It could be new toy syndrome but I did compare it side-by-side with my TG334 and I wasn't sure why I hesitated for so long.  I put it on and played my test tracks, one after another, then another, then another, until I notice my office was empty with me the last person staying way past beer hour on my floor.

My daily driver
It had since supplanted my TG334 as my everyday go-to IEM.  I have since ordered many other totl or new IEMs (including ASG-2, JH13pro, UM 3DD. SE846) but to date 1plus2 remain my go-to even on the very day my new IEM arrive.  I just keep going back to them.  The shine and polish on the shell and faceplate had not faded one bit and it is very durable.  I had been carrying them in my shirt/pants pocket WITHOUT any purse or carrying box.  Neither the cable or the IEM units themselves is showing any sign of wear or tear, except that the cable become even more supple.  I have switch countless cables with them (Fiio SPC, Alo sxc24, UE18pro balanced cable, whiplash...) that I own or tried at meets or show and the socket stills hold.  In contrast my JH13's non-recessed socket had already loosen to a point I'm wary of any further cable changes in just 1/10th of the number of cable changes.  And I still like my gold/silver cable best with the 1plus2.  The Alo sxc24 was my second favorite, but it is stiffer.

Final thoughts
I am not sure in what shape the demo unit was but if it is anything similar to what I experienced, the actual brand new unit should be much better.  Some things won't change are 1) the bigger housing, 2) the ugly cable connector, 3) the stiff cable (well mine actually became more supple...), and 4) a price that seems to imply "better" aesthetics.  Nonetheless, it I need to give up all of my IEM and just keep one to use for the rest of my life, I'm picking the 1plus2 with full confidence it will last as long as me.

Thanks for reading.   
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4,340 of 6,404
kkcc, same here

i remember when i listened to 1p2 i was not prepared to love them, i had another IEM which was highly praised on HeadFi and i thought "well well, lets see what this fuzz is all about"
after some time i got some strange sensations asking myself, was this 1p2 or did i forget to switch off my front end system...so real bass reverb and air moving sensation was.... going back and forth between my IEMs and 1p2 i each time tried to convince myself i need not them... but as time went on i could not resist and contacted Gavin to purchase a pair. since then 1p2 is my most universal and most listened IEM. i find no issues so far, quality and comfort suit me greatly and i stopped worrying about upgrades. now i look only for IEMs which could compliment 1p2 when i want listen to small acoustics or get this warm sweet voices in my head but... talking about realistic picture and live music sensations there is nothing i heard that could come close to 1p2.

IMHO 1p2 is the most musical and realistic sounding IEM to be found. more curiously this IEM was created not by a big corporation or audio boutique but by a person who understands music and live sound so well.

so count me in into 1p2 fan club. 
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #4,341 of 6,404
I liked them at 1st listen and agree that the general silver/gold cable sig should be great for them. I remember swapping cables on them for perspective. I later tried a silver/gold cable on my JH13s. I didn't think a good match but immediately thought about how well it would likely interface with the 1+2. I still slightly preferred what I use now but these are the best universals I've auditioned and with the right cable, a true contender for best available. Nobody should go wrong by ordering these and fitting becomes a moot issue.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #4,343 of 6,404
gav, happy listen and sorry for your wallet :D

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4,344 of 6,404
I got the 1plus2 today and at first, I listened to it on my SGS3 and I wasn't too impressed, but when I plugged it into my HDP-R10, I was blown away! Holy crap! Everything was awesome, especially the bass! So fast and such great detail and impact. 
I might buy it, but it is a lot of money and my UM Miracle is already very good... What to do 
confused.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4,345 of 6,404
I got the 1plus2 today and at first, I listened to it on my SGS3 and I wasn't too impressed, but when I plugged it into my HDP-R10, I was blown away! Holy crap! Everything was awesome, especially the bass! So fast and such great detail and impact. 
I might buy it, but it is a lot of money and my UM Miracle is already very good... What to do :confused:

Lol they do scale very well with your source/amp.

Haha I had been in that same predicament before with my "end game" tg334. And you knew how it went.

Enjoy!

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #4,346 of 6,404
Lol they do scale very well with your source/amp.

Haha I had been in that same predicament before with my "end game" tg334. And you knew how it went.

Enjoy!

Thanks. A huge improvement that I have never heard from an IEM before is the soundstage. 
A while ago, I was chatting with Lee and he explained to me that IEMs didn't have soundstage and it was headstage or something like that. Admittedly, I didn't understand what he was saying, but now I do! They sound like speakers!

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4,347 of 6,404
Yep you got it Lin. Most people can't even differentiate sound staging from head staging and that is a fact, sadly. If I could only have 1 IEM it would be a toss up honestly between the 1Plus2 and the Flat 4 Sui. I could do without the SE5 if I had to. The 1Plus2 and Flat 4 are my main go to IEMs. Then again the SE5 is up there with them but it's a very different presentation. Kinda like the 8A in the sense where when I'm in the mood for it, it sweeps me off my feet. While with the Flat 4 and 1Plus2 I can use them all the time.

Regarding the build. Well I think it is rather good. Not the best out there but far from the worst and far from being as bad as I've just read. Regarding the cable coming loose from the pins. Well I already said my piece on that. I put a small piece of scotch tape into each recessed housing and locked the cable in place. It has not come out once since doing so and it will not until I pull it out. I could switch cables hundreds of times and not have issues that I'd have that are inherent to CIEMs. I would dare not try this on my SE5 as I'd ruin the sockets in no time. I'll take longevity over beauty any day (not that you could see the tape anyways :wink:.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #4,348 of 6,404
  Yep you got it Lin. Most people can't even differentiate sound staging from head staging and that is a fact, sadly. If I could only have 1 IEM it would be a toss up honestly between the 1Plus2 and the Flat 4 Sui. I could do without the SE5 if I had to. The 1Plus2 and Flat 4 are my main go to IEMs. Then again the SE5 is up there with them but it's a very different presentation. Kinda like the 8A in the sense where when I'm in the mood for it, it sweeps me off my feet. While with the Flat 4 and 1Plus2 I can use them all the time.

Regarding the build. Well I think it is rather good. Not the best out there but far from the worst and far from being as bad as I've just read. Regarding the cable coming loose from the pins. Well I already said my piece on that. I put a small piece of scotch tape into each recessed housing and locked the cable in place. It has not come out once since doing so and it will not until I pull it out. I could switch cables hundreds of times and not have issues that I'd have that are inherent to CIEMs. I would dare not try this on my SE5 as I'd ruin the sockets in no time. I'll take longevity over beauty any day (not that you could see the tape anyways :wink:.

Damn you and Gavin!!! 
angry_face.gif

Now I might have to buy this AND a Studio V 3rd Anniversary. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4,349 of 6,404
Lin, all i can say "sorry for your wallet" 
tongue.gif

as high-end reviewers would say: 1p2 - cost is no objection IEM 
cool.gif

yes, 1p2 looks will not impress girls, cables are stiff and expensive, your wallet protests even the idea of paying them because of steep price. but when you hear 1p2 it is so difficult to forget them.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #4,350 of 6,404
One very annoying problem is the right pin is very loose, but I've "fixed" this by lining the inside of the recessed socket with electrical tape. Double sided tape didn't cut it and normal scotch tape didn't work either. Gavin's suggestion to use thin cardboard failed as well. Haven't tried the glue and I don't think that I will. 
I am in love with the sound and I probably have something worked out with Gavin... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back