Trafomatic Experience Head One
Nov 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 199
Nice impressions, thanks. This amp looks very nice. I still wish they had chosen a different tube complement, but if it sounds good, that is the most important!

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 199
I got this amp two weeks ago after waiting two month for it. And wow did it look good on my shelve.
So I plugged in and before ever getting to push play, there was HUM!!!! Lots of it. Both audible in the cans (W1000 and hd650) and directly from the trafo.

I have tried Two different cd-players, three different cables and and a mainsfilter(xindak xf1000es).
I also got a new amp on loan from the supplier - same problem! Even the big bulky powercords he loaned med didn´t do a thing to help my problem!!!

I WANT THIS AMP - (with no hum!) - HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #20 of 199
That REALLY sucks.
My first amp had a channel imbalance but was quickly replaced by another one. The one I have now has hum on the line out (pre-amp output). I decided to just not use the pre-amp function and keep it.
The quality of the headphone out is superb though. It easily competes with Zana Deux for instance. I use it a lot and I'm really happy with it.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #23 of 199
Can you say where you purchased this and the price?

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 199
Actually I rigged it up again today and while the noise from the first unit was audible directly from the trafo on this one it sounds like the tubes kind of hissing, but the sound in the phones are almost the same. But it might not be the same thats wrong with this one then
triportsad.gif
?

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #26 of 199
I've been using my Trafomatic for several months. Absolutely love it. However, my MDR-SA5000 doesn't play well with it at all, have hiss sounds regardless of what ohm settings I use.
But the SA5K is mesmerizing with the ASL MG HEAD III.

I'm gonna try out some tubes with trafomatic, first Raytheon 5842. From what I can googled, it should be a close match. But I suspect it would not be a big improvement (or even worse). Well we'll see.

Right now I have on my desk a DT880, HD650 I just got, and the SA5k, the combo w/ HD650 is very good, not too dark, but since I have not burn it in, the high is still recess.

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #27 of 199
Thought I would chime in on this under appreciated and under exposed amp.

I have had my Trafomatic (black wood trim) since December and love it. I have tried it with all of my cans:

Ultrasone ED9's
Senn HD600
Senn HD650
Beyer DT990
Denon D2000

...and it drives them all very well and sounds good with each of them. I find the impedance selector switch is very useful as I like to mix it up with different cans, depending on mood.

Great to hear that it matches well with GS1000's, I have a set on order (...back order) right now and am looking forward to hearing the combo.

My $.02, this amp is a keeper.

FYI--I have no business relationship with Trafomatic or Vista Audio (US importer), I'm just a fan of this little gem.

Peace,

Lee

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #28 of 199
I gave up upon this amp because of the hum problem i experienced.

Allthough I still think both units i tried was broke, it sounds like it still won't give me a black background with w1000. So now I'm loóking for something with similar tonality and involvement, but with a completely silent background.
Thinking about the woo wa6se or the rudistor rpx-33 do anybody know how they will compare?

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 199
I have over 600+ hours on the Trafomatic amp and its great.I replaced
the EZ81 Tesla with an very old EZ80 Mullard tube.The soundstage got wider has more body and its more natural and the forwardness that KEES mentioned with GS 1000 is gone ,there is full soundstage without forwardness.KEES also mentioned earlier that this amp needs a lot of burn in time ,yes it needs lot of it.

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 199
So beside the rectifier, what about the other 2 tubes, have u tried any other? I'm hoping to get some good new issues tubes to put it in the amp and see if itd be better for the low ohm phones, and even push the amp to be better.

The 200+ ohm phones I have absolutely no problem using it with the amp. And is the best one I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have over 600+ hours on the Trafomatic amp and its great.I replaced
the EZ81 Tesla with an very old EZ80 Mullard tube.The soundstage got wider has more body and its more natural and the forwardness that KEES mentioned with GS 1000 is gone ,there is full soundstage without forwardness.KEES also mentioned earlier that this amp needs a lot of burn in time ,yes it needs lot of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back