Tracks/CDs to WOW Your Friends with Your Cans
Aug 8, 2001 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
I'm just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for tracks to play for your friends when they go "You paid HOW much for those stupid headphones...Let me listen to them to see if they're any better than my [POS] Sony headphones". They could be good due to Bass Response (always a good one to impress Dum-basses), Clarity, or Soundstage even. They have to be something that's easily noticable with a quick listen. Obviously we all know that our cans are better than everyone else's
wink.gif
, but that's because we are fortunate enough to enjoy them for hours on end.

I will start this off with the track that prompted me to ask this question:

Tori Amos- Waitress on Under The Pink

The first few seconds of that song have such powerful bass notes on my Senns that just aren't given justice on cheap cans. I think I'm truly becoming an audiophile, I'm listening to Tori Amos because it sounds good, not because I like the music (although it is growing on me)

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 24
I think several tracks on the Gladiator Soundtrack have powerful bass
smily_headphones1.gif

I would personally reccomend any well recorded guitar (acoustic). Good cans make guitar sound piercing yet smooth - all at once. MUCH better than cruddy Sonys.....

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 24
When people want to hear what my system can do I always start with Cardigans Gran Turismo.

Here's agreat trick to play on unsuspecting friends. Cue up track one. It starts with a lot of ambient noise playing softly and some casual whistling and then all of a sudden-- WHAM!, a huge, deep bass note kicks in. They'll jump out of their chair! Works every time.

Mark

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 24
I know what you mean markl, it's not even really the volume of the bass note, but on our nice cans just the fact that they have such bass extension to such low frequencies, when I listen to that Waitress track, it makes my spine tingle, and even I go WOW, these cans were worth every cent, and I don't even have an amp for them yet. OOH! I think Blr's OBH-11 should be waiting for me when I get home, I can't wait.

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 24
Man everybody talks about that Gladiator soundtrack... I guess I'll have to go pick it up.

I'm gonna have to agree with coolvij about acoustic guitar music. If you like Dave Matthews, pick up the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College - it really sounds awesome... actually, I'm gonna go listen to it now.

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 24
I would recommend the Gladiator Soundtrack to you as well, it's incredible, and actually it may be an answer to my question, thanks guys.

Aug 8, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 24
For a second time tonight I'm with markl. Paralized from gran turismo is a great track for a headphone demp plus if you ask me it's awesome music.
Another track I can pull from the top of my head now is UB Jesus the opening of David Byrne's Look Into The Eyeball. Nice deep bass in the first 4 bars.

BTW: grrr223 let me know ASA your recieve the package I sent you, so I know everything went fine.

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 24
I'd probably show em Coco Lee's song from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, A Love Before Time. You just aren't going to enjoy that song from a P.O.S. headphone.

And if I have a dum-bass in the house, I'll throw them my Kimball Collins - Norlander Starchild techno track.
cool.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 24
How about Massive Attack - Mezzanine? Deep, heavy-hitting, tuneful bass on this cd!

Aug 9, 2001 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 24
Hey blr,
I too have "Look into the Eyeball", as well as the 2 previous discs. All sound positively remarkable and are REFERENCE quality recordings cram-packed with innovative, original sound.

You really can't say enough good things about David Byrne can you?

markl

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 24
markl, seems we have similar tastes.
I'm actually a fen of DB and Talking Heads also. Have everything they've done. Absolutely agree with you. Obviously, I adore the music but the sound is also first rate, specially on "Look into the Eyeball" Check also tracks like "revolution" and "smile" pure sweetness. Saw him live couple of months ago in Stockholm, great...
Which too previous Burns do you have? There are actually 4 before "Look into the Eyeball",
Rei Momo
Uh Oh
Feelings
David Byrne (ie no title)

Later Talking Heads is also very well recorded and music wise kind of close to Byrne. "Naked" is one of my favourites.

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 24
Its funny that Gran Turismo was brought up in this thread. I had no idea how good headphones could sound until my first encounter with a pair of Senn 580s and this cd. That experience ate away at me for ages until I got my own real headphones.

If I wanted to wow anybody with headphones, a bass heavy track would definitely be the one to do it with. One of my favorites is song 15 on K & D's DJ Kicks cd.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 24
Sarah McLachlan - I Love You (Surfacing, track 2)

Jeff Buckley - Everybody Here Wants You (Sketches For My Sweetheart, track 2)

Billy Bragg & Wilco - At My Window Sad And Lonely (Mermaid Avenue, soft one line intro, then boo-ya!)

Massive Attack - Teardrop (Mezzanine, track 3)

The Cure - Plainsong (Disintegration, track 1)

Perfect Cirle - Judith (Mer De Noms, track 4)

Willie Nelson w. Emmy Lou Harris - The Maker (Teatro, track 8)

Any album by Converge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back