Tracking hours used
Feb 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

roadcykler

1000+ Head-Fier
I searched with a couple of different key words and didn't find anything similar so I apologize if there is a older thread about this. I was curious to know what kind of system folks here use to keep track of the number of hours a component/headphone has been used? In just about every For Sale listing, the accumulated hours of use is mentioned but how is that measured? Do you estimate or use a timer of sorts? Personally I use an on-line stopwatch that I turn on every time I listen to my headphones. I'm not sure it's really that important but those who believe in burn-in would probably disagree. What say you? 

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't think hours used are worth tracking. Burn-in is mostly ritual. I've never bothered and my headphones work fine. They've been listened to by others and no one has mentioned that they don't sound right, etc. because I didn't bother burning them in.

On the other side of the coin, I haven't seen headphone drivers wear out from too much use. If that happened regularly, there would be plenty of threads about it.

The only reason I'd track listening time would be if I were trying to stay under noise limit guidelines with loud listening.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 4
just an estimation

as for selling/buying, the condition of the cans and pads (unless you're buying new pads) is important, burn hours not really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back