Track your Burn-in!
Aug 14, 2008 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
I was reading a thread at Audio Asylum and a poster linked to his site. The link was to a software package for tracking Burn-in time. DL Burn-in Timer

Plenty of people try to sell items based on low use etc., particularly cartridges or turntables because of the motors (tubes is another good example).

Beyond selling purposes, I think it is a neat little idea to track the amount of time one listens to a piece of gear. This app makes it simple.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 10
I would be depressed if I really knew how much I listen to music
ph34r.gif

Might be neat though. Will try it next time anything needs burn-in, thanks for the heads-up.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 10
I've lost count on hours and this may be a good solution. But honestly, as much as I would want to stay on top of this data, I just don't have time in the day to add another task.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Foobar has a built-in counter with playing time.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar has a built-in counter with playing time.

Does it work if one plays CDs or Vinyl?

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Counting usage minutes or listening hours to me smacks just one tier too close to OCD, or possibly ADHD. As a wise man* once said:

"Insert disc, press play, adjust volume. Life's too short."

*Steve Hoffman.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 10
I agree. However, for some, particularly vinyl guys, they want to know if/when they might need to source out a new copy
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Lps can last for long time if the stylus is in good shape, and the TT is decent, if you ahve a good collection and do not use them daily, and if you are not too picky with clicks and pops, they will certainly live long time. OTOH clicks and pops, scratch surface noise are inherent to the media and trust me that they have those even just open from the plastic wrap, with time thye get worst, but many people find that noise a little on the charming side as well....
very_evil_smiley.gif

OTOH CDs are virtually eternal...I have not needed to rpelace any yet since they hit the market IIRC in the 80's...about gear, with good care they last long time as well, I replaced a couple of EQs due to PS noise, but other thna that, all my amps have been replaced still in perfect working order.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 10
I haven't had to replace any of my cds yet either, save for one that was lost and another that was horribly damaged by a friend. Otherwise all my discs are doing well and look brand new. My LP's (ones I bought new) look and sound the same as the day I bought them (perhaps better after a wash) and I agree, with the proper setup and careful cleaning techniques, one shouldn't have to replace vinyl. But you know these OCD types
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 10
I see how this can be useful. Especially when handling gear that may need 800 hours to fully burn in.
Too bad its MS Windows only...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back