Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #10,276 of 10,312
I bought a Toxic Viper ~6ft 3.5mm to 6.35mm cable from ebay and have converted it to an IEM cable. I bought parts from Matt and he has been amazing - always quick to respond to questions and providing replacement parts when I accidentally butchered it on my first attempt (I hadn't soldered anything in a very very long time).

I'd prevoiously been using a stock OFC cable with my IEMS and changing to the Viper (SPC) has dramatically changed the sound - I'm really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to purchasing some more stuff from Toxic cables later down the line.

I cannot recommend Matt's service highly enough.

I can second this - I've had a great experience dealing with Toxic throughout October.

I've very recently been in touch with Matt, unfortunately it was about an issue with my old Copper Venom cables for the HD-800 - purchased from Frank a good many years ago - which had developed a fault.

Matt had offered a repair, and so I sent these in. When it came to the tear-down of the cables - which I think was unique in their range and a design later discarded after learning of a potential for the copper to be brittle - it looked like there could well be more than one area of fault. So for the price of the repair, Matt has discarded the existing venom and made me a brand new, top of the range large-gauge silver cable as a replacement. He's taken a substantial hit on materials and labour costs to do this, which has been hugely appreciated (particularly as I've been out of work for some time through Covid).

I can say only good things about my experience with this company.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10,277 of 10,312
Hi All,

Has anybody tried any of the Toxic cables with the HiFiMan Susvara ?

And if so, which Toxic cable do you think is the best match for the Susvara ?

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #10,278 of 10,312
Hi All,

Has anybody tried any of the Toxic cables with the HiFiMan Susvara ?

And if so, which Toxic cable do you think is the best match for the Susvara ?

I use the Medusa. Not sure if Matt still does that. It was probably the last cable that Frank did for me - for the Susvara. For the LCD4, he did the Hydra. Which was the second last... :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #10,279 of 10,312
I use the Medusa. Not sure if Matt still does that. It was probably the last cable that Frank did for me - for the Susvara. For the LCD4, he did the Hydra. Which was the second last... :frowning2:
Thank you Kiats for your reply. Much appreciated.

What were the changes to the sound using the Medusa as opposed to the stock HiFiMan cable that comes with the Susvara ?

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #10,280 of 10,312

What were the changes to the sound using the Medusa as opposed to the stock HiFiMan cable that comes with the Susvara ?

Firstly, the sound really opened up and you get to hear just how transparent the Susvara is; secondly, the density of the sound also went up a fair bit - with that you get a nice depth as well as width of the soundstage; finally, I got to hear fully the speed and nuances of the Susvara.

So, if you ask me: was it worth it? Absolutely! Just as I said to Frank then: astonishing how it allowed the Susvara to show that it was a possible for a planar to sound as nimble or as quick as an electrostatic can, while sounding so organic and nuanced.

The Susvara remains my go to non-electrostatic. Much as I love the Final Audio D8000 or HE1000v2. Perhaps a bit less the LCD4. In fact, its balance with the Medusa easily holds its own in the same space as Stax 009, 009S, 007Mk1 or Mk2 or even the Hifiman Shangrila Junior.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #10,281 of 10,312

Did you order your Medusa? If so, I would be interested in your findings since I am considering this as well. I do have some Cables made by Frank and would continue with Matt from Toxic when I decide to pull the trigger on the Susvara

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #10,283 of 10,312
Did anyone try the toxic power cables so far?

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #10,284 of 10,312
hydra 18 ordered! will go against my cema tianwaitian cable when arrives :)
Would love to hear your impressions on the match up. :) I have the Hydra for my LCD 4.

Did anyone try the toxic power cables so far?

I have one of the early solid core silver dual XLR interconnects that Frank was experimenting with (and I was the fortunate and very willing guinea pig) for one of my amps and the Bricasti M1 DAC. Very good. What I love about Toxic silver is its never too bright. Great note weight and yet so smooth but transparent. :) I am sure Matt has learned well and evolved into the master now.

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #10,285 of 10,312
I have one of the early solid core silver dual XLR interconnects that Frank was experimenting with (and I was the fortunate and very willing guinea pig) for one of my amps and the Bricasti M1 DAC. Very good. What I love about Toxic silver is its never too bright. Great note weight and yet so smooth but transparent. :) I am sure Matt has learned well and evolved into the master now.
Could you post a picrure of this prototype?

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #10,287 of 10,312
how is it? i just saw on the site that orders take 16 - 20 weeks so that's quite the wait there..
Yeah I am a Norne Audio Fan and thetefore no stranger to waiting times.
However 5 months is quite crazy "as default".
Imagine then also something happening that causes further delay, like supply problems for the material.

On the other hand it's fair to communicate if yoz have a backlog this big.

Anyways, it kept me from trying the cables so far

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #10,288 of 10,312
Love my Gold Widow & VE8
3F2767A6-4443-4404-8D19-33509825ACA3.jpeg

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #10,289 of 10,312
Love my Gold Widow & VE8
3F2767A6-4443-4404-8D19-33509825ACA3.jpeg
Lovely! I still use the prototype that Frank used me as a guinea pig for. heheh! And it is still as lovely today and still holds its own against newer cables. :)

25A644E5-E6BA-44F1-8283-2BDA36220199.jpeg

Blast from the past: One of the first Silver Widow 22 that Frank made. Uncovered it while looking for something else today. Will enjoy it this weekend. :)

Here's a review for those who are unfamiliar with it: https://theheadphonelist.com/toxic-cables-silver-widow-22-24-awg/

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #10,290 of 10,312
734B274A-1319-42BC-9D4A-CB2AD2E39CD8.jpeg

Some Saturday morning easy listening on the Shanling M30. LCD3 with Toxic cables Silver Widow 22 balanced cable. Turbo gain, tube output. Such sweet sonics. Learning to love my LCD3 once again with the help of SW22. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back