Touchscreen monitor in a computer audio stack?
Aug 7, 2010 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new Mac Mini and a Mimo touchscreen monitor.
My question is do any Head-Fiers use touchscreen monitors in their computer audio stacks and if so which one and what's been their experience good or bad?

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Apple products are all ripoffs, especially their grossly overpriced pcs and their gimp OS nobody develops stuff for.

As for touch screens, I personally find them to be useless.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 11

Internet
  Full web browsing
  Full email application
  Web TV and Web Radio

Play
  Media Club
  Videos
  Music
  Photos
  Games
  Content streaming from your PC

TV
  TV recording
  Content playback and Web surfing on TV

DVR Dock - Rear

Archos 7 can use Windows or Linux Android and does IT ALL.  Has the touch screen you want PLUS its a full computer that you can take with you.  Bring your music along inside and listen to your cans on the go.

All for less that $200 for the 8 Gig version

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the info Dynobot. Can Archos play HD movies flawlessly?

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for the info Dynobot. Can Archos play HD movies flawlessly?

I don't know how well it plays movies etc. I don't have one but I thought it was an interesting machine.  Before buying I suggest doing some homework to find out details.

Personally if I were to consider the Archos 7 I would load Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it, I believe it works well with touchscreens.  Also its probably the best distro of Linux out for Netbooks and is really ergonomic, in fact I use it for my main desktop.  This way the Archos 7 would be able to do everything any other Linux machine can do [which is everything] plus I would be able to load my favorite music player Music Player Daemon.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Apple products are all ripoffs, especially their grossly overpriced pcs and their gimp OS nobody develops stuff for.

Anger management, Dude.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

Thanks for disabusing me of my delusions. I shall now go and shoot myself.

Before I do however, does anyone use a touchscreen to operate their PC/music server of choice?

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for disabusing me of my delusions. I shall now go and shoot myself.

Before I do however, does anyone use a touchscreen to operate their PC/music server of choice?

Yep, I use an iTouch to operate my PC music server of choice which is Music Player Daemon.

I always like Multi-Purpose tools, which is why I posted the Archos product.  I think its kind of a waste to buy a product that only does one thing.  Esp with a little research you can buy a multi-purpose product that does the same thing Plus more.

FYI, there are iTouch apps for many other music players besides Music Player Daemon.  JRiver, Foobar, MediaMonkey to name a few....

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 11
While I appreciate items with multiple uses,  also like to try and keep things simple. Add to that the fact that almost all of the features on that Archos are totally superfluous to my needs.

I keep pondering whether to just take the plunge and get an iPod touch and Xtand stand. That way it can be used as a remote as well as on the stand with the stack ready for use.

The screen is pretty small but might be good enough to run itunes on the Mac Mini. My main beef is the expense of the iPod touch coupled to the fact that the storage capacity is too small to replace my 120GB Classic as a portable music source. That makes it an expensive remote (says the guy with a Logitech Harmony). It's also on the flimsy side for my use on the road. My classic travels in a Yotank case for a reason.

I'm toying with the idea of looking for a used IPod touch 8GB  on fleabay to save a buck and try out the concept. I'm not sure what the differences are between the generations of iPod touch or what they might mean for my main uses however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back