TOTL Solid State Headphone Amp?
Aug 27, 2022 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
Curious what would be recommended for a top of the line solid state headphone amp? I'm currently using 300 Ohm ZMF headphones and find myself enjoying critical/analytical listening vs. the tube experience. I've read great things about the Benchmark HPA4, which could be a top choice, although I've never heard it in-person. Also, I'm reading/hearing great things about the Topping A90 or A90D. Any others to consider?

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 13
Aug 27, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 13
I've heard the hpa4 with my VO a while back. Similar to other THX amps, it has a very clean presentation and have plenty of power but I don't think it really warrants the much higher premium over the 789 and other lower priced THX amps though I do appreciate the tank build and additional preamp features.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 13
I've heard the hpa4 with my VO a while back. Similar to other THX amps, it has a very clean presentation and have plenty of power but I don't think it really warrants the much higher premium over the 789 and other lower priced THX amps though I do appreciate the tank build and additional preamp features.
Good to know, thank you! Of those lower priced THX amps, which did you like with your VO?

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Curious what would be recommended for a top of the line solid state headphone amp? I'm currently using 300 Ohm ZMF headphones and find myself enjoying critical/analytical listening vs. the tube experience. I've read great things about the Benchmark HPA4, which could be a top choice, although I've never heard it in-person. Also, I'm reading/hearing great things about the Topping A90 or A90D. Any others to consider?
Ferrum oor with hypsos gets my recommendation. Suits the verite closed and atrium very much. The VO sounds better with the cayin iha-6 high impedannce output though. Zach himself recommends zmf with the cayin iha-6

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 13
For ZMF (I tested with Aeolus and Atrium), I strongly recommend the Burson Soloist 3XGT.

Soloist GT has neutral midrange, which actually synergizes well with Aeolus/Atrium + best soundstage and width I have ever heard from solidstate.

Ferrum OOR + Hypsos is good, but its midrange with ZMF is bit too thick and sweet for my taste. Similar experience with Enleum/Bakoon 13R

From my experience this is the headphone + amp pair that I think synergize really well:
1. Aeolus/Atrium + Soloist 3xGT
2. LCD 5 + GSX Mini
3. Diana Phi/Diana TC + Ferrum stack

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 13
For TOTL / near-TOTL solid-state headphone amps which will adeptly handle 300-ohm dynamic headphones, I have to suggest: Niimbus 5 (or 5 Pro, if you want the 256 relay); and, a little lower on the price spectrum, Violectric HPA V550. Violectrics feature high output voltage swing capability which, despite low output impedance, makes them great matches to high impedance headphones.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 13
ECP Audio DSHA-3F.
For any dynamic headphone (including ZMF 300 ohm) this will not be beat, period. It’s not good with low impedance planars because of 5ohm output impedance.

The original is out of production but I believe someone is making a version without rollable transformers for a little cheaper.

Edit: Found the modified production, which is the same amp more or less

https://nitschsound.com/products/dsha-3fn

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Can't agree more about DSHA-3F.
Best SS for ZMF.
I guess Zach uses one for tuning his headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back