Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Nov 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #287 of 318
Of course most people hear the Westone as it is usually described. The MC5 is a high YMMV phone. I get the same sound and I'm sure that part of it is that they fit equally shallow. The Westone design naturally fits shallow and I purposefully fit the Ety more shallow.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #288 of 318
I think that's correct about the MC5. It definitely is a big hit or miss. I really liked the W2 but I hated the MC5 so much that I sold it shortly after buying them even though I got a great price. I remember them being somewhat similar but there was something off in the MC5 for me.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #289 of 318
If there is anything I had truly hated about the MC5, it is probably its design. Sounds slightly strange considering it is an Ety and all that. It works wonder to MC5's ability to isolate noise, but the sound quality seemed to have suffered from it. This might have something to do with my canal than anything else though.

In my opinion, the sound quality sounded better when the earphones aren't driving deeeeeeeeep into your canal. However, it is strangely awkward to not drive it deep because it'll end up looking like if there is a a huge hook on your ears. I also like to sleep with my earphones; it was equally aggravating that I had to drive it deep to sleep with them. 
redface.gif

EDIT:

On an interesting note, having reach its 200+ hours of burn-in and usage, my MC5 suddenly and weirdly got a better presence of bass. It has gotten tighter and gotten a bit more of a bite to it.

Any other owners experienced this?
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #291 of 318
The standard tri-flange silicon tip that came with the MC5 ever since I got it. Not really quite sure why the change happened.

Out-of-Topic: By the way, did your avatar came from Persona 4?
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #293 of 318

Quote:

Quote:
EDIT:

On an interesting note, having reach its 200+ hours of burn-in and usage, my MC5 suddenly and weirdly got a better presence of bass. It has gotten tighter and gotten a bit more of a bite to it.

Any other owners experienced this?
confused.gif

Yes, but it happens when I place them deeper in my ear :p

Hahaha, I wish that was the case for me, but I haven't change how I place the earphones into my ears or the tips. In fact, as I had stated previously, I actually strangely prefer them not so deep.
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #294 of 318
whoa, I just watched the video on the etymotic site that shows you how to insert these properly.  I tried it, and instantly they sound better!  there's sounstage and bass now.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #295 of 318
Even though this thread is a little old-I want to tell you of how I won the battle with the M5's. When I first tried them, not only could  I not get a seal or a decent fit, they were really uncomfortable.  I finally settled on the large triple bi-flanges and learned how deep they needed to go in my ear , and I was starting to see the potential that these iem's
had for detail, especially with acoustic music, though it still wasn't  optimal comfort wise. I got the comply T-100's, and it's a whole different ball game now. The bass is
a bit more present, the sound stage is much wider, and because I am finally getting the proper seal, these isolate amazingly well, even on the NYC subways. While these phones might never give me the bass punch that I enjoy for hip-hop , they are excellent for everything else and especially for getting around NYC. So for those that are frustrated and want to unleash their potential (I knew it was in there, I just couldn't get it out) I highly recommend the complys, they rescued these iem's from imminent abandonment.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #296 of 318

Quote:
Even though this thread is a little old-I want to tell you of how I won the battle with the M5's. When I first tried them, not only could  I not get a seal or a decent fit, they were really uncomfortable.  I finally settled on the large triple bi-flanges and learned how deep they needed to go in my ear , and I was starting to see the potential that these iem's
had for detail, especially with acoustic music, though it still wasn't  optimal comfort wise. I got the comply T-100's, and it's a whole different ball game now. The bass is
a bit more present, the sound stage is much wider, and because I am finally getting the proper seal, these isolate amazingly well, even on the NYC subways. While these phones might never give me the bass punch that I enjoy for hip-hop , they are excellent for everything else and especially for getting around NYC. So for those that are frustrated and want to unleash their potential (I knew it was in there, I just couldn't get it out) I highly recommend the complys, they rescued these iem's from imminent abandonment.

An impression/appreciation thread is never too old.
biggrin.gif

Glad to know you are finally enjoying the MC5 though! They are amazing little earphones, given the price they are at.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #297 of 318
Hello gentlemen and gentlewomen,

I am excited to be getting these phones soon, but never having used an Etymotic product before, I have a few questions:

1) How long (on average) do the filters last?  I'm aware that the mc5's come with a set of extra filters, but I'm wondering if I should't pick up a few more while I'm at it.

2) Are the filters only available through etymotic's website?

3) Do the mc5s benefit from (cheap) amplification at all?  I know they have very low impedance, and the headroom page says that an amp is not needed, but I have heard people say that they are hard to drive nonetheless.  I will be primarily using these with my iPod, and while I don't have the $$$ to buy a real DAC amp, I would be more than willing to shell out $20-30 for a cheap FiiO E3 or E5 and a Line-out dock if it will make a noticable difference. 

Thanks for hearing me out.  Any feedback from anybody who has experience with ER earphones would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #298 of 318

Quote:
1) How long (on average) do the filters last?  I'm aware that the mc5's come with a set of extra filters, but I'm wondering if I should't pick up a few more while I'm at it.
For me the average is around... forever. If you keep your ear canal clean and clean up the IEM after use, you won't really need to replace the filter for a very long time. If not, then you better pick up some extra filters.

Mostly yes. Most retailer do not want to carry filter.

3) Do the mc5s benefit from (cheap) amplification at all?
It should be fine without amping.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #299 of 318

Quote:
Quote:
For me the average is around... forever. If you keep your ear canal clean and clean up the IEM after use, you won't really need to replace the filter for a very long time. If not, then you better pick up some extra filters.

Mostly yes. Most retailer do not want to carry filter.

3) Do the mc5s benefit from (cheap) amplification at all?
It should be fine without amping.

Thank you for the quick reply :)   Can't wait to try these out.

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #300 of 318
I just got a set yesterday, this was to replace my RE0 as my back-up, on the go phone.  I'm very happy with it so far, it is detailed, little bit bigger soundstage, better bass quantity, more fun than my RE0 imo with comparable clarity.  Definately warmer though.  I will miss the sparkling highs of the RE0, but I have my triple fi for that.  I haven't played around with tips very much, but I find the sound tube a little off-putting its really skinny and it feels like it has the potential to go in too far.  I really like the housings they seem like theyre built like little tanks.  I think Im gonna burn these in for about 150 or so hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back