Total noob needs help
Jul 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

epicnoob1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so HI :)

I need some serious help on my first mp3 player. I got an iPod nano, which I think is pretty cool. Although, I don't like the headphones that come with them. Now, I live in India and I am in a bit of dilemma because nobody here actually sells quality in- ear phones.

The only one with decent review that I can find was Bose in-ear headphones. They cost around $100 over here.

I have wasted almost 6-7 hours searching for a website that sell some good earphones and deliver to India but with no luck. Bose has an official website for India and I can buy their headphones on that website.

However, I have a few concerns. I will be mainly using my mp3 player while working out in Gym. And my Gym plays some really really horrible music. I mean after some point it's unbearable because they play the same horrible music again and again.

So today, I was pretty much convinced on buying the bose in-ear headphones because that was the best I can find over here.

But when I went to the gym, I used my iPod today with the headphones that came with it. And I wasn't very impressed with the performance. Primarily because I can still hear the horrible gym music running in the background. And from what I read in the reviews of Bose in-ear headphones, it doesn't do a very good job of noise isolation.

Now, here are a few questions for you.

How much  better do you think the bose in-earphones are when compared to the headphones that come with the iPod Nano?

When I press the headphones (that came with  my iPod) against my ears, I was able to cancel out almost  all the external noise in my Gym. This might give you an idea of how loud the noise is at my Gym. So, will the bose in-ear headphones be able to isolate the noise that much?

Will it be enough for me to enjoy my music in peace?

I don't know what I'll do if  I can't get a good earphone over here. I certainly can't use a headphone because I don't like it and it willl be cumbersome while working out.

So, should I just go with  the bose in-ear phone, or should I continue with my search? I am pretty sure if I continue searching, I won't be able to find anything. All I have come across is bull websites selling bull earphones in India.

If you answer is search on, what earphones you recommend? I want something in the same price range $70-$100

I just hope your answer is go with the bose in-ear phone  because I am pretty sure whatever earphones you guys will recommend won't be available here in India.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 13
Okay, I just found out that Etymotic official website delivers to India. So, now I have to choose between the bose in-ear phones or Etymotic er6i

Which one do you recommend?

Any other headphone suggestions?

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 13
The Bose in-ears are pretty much the worst $100 in-ears I've heard, especially if you need isolation. Larger Bose cans IMO are defensible as they are fun and very comfy. The in-ears have no excuse. 

If you have the luxury of buying through ebay, you can get worldwide shipping from a variety of sellers on very good products, e.g. the Fischer Audio Eterna  and ViSang R03. Even if you can't use ebay there are sites that will ship worldwide - mp4nation.net, for example, has free worldwide shipping. They stock the Brainwavz M2, which is equivalent to the ViSang R03, and the Brainwavz M1, which is cheaper and great in its own right. And then there's audio stores like Jaben/uncle wilson's. I believe they ship worldwide as well. Some manufacturers do also -Head-Direct (head-direct.com), Meelectronics (Meelec.com). Most of their products would make a fair step up from the Bose IE and probably not cost as much.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 13
V-Moda Remix, Vibe II, Klipsch S4, ER6i and Sony EX500.........

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 13
OMG, that is effing amazing. I didn't know I can buy from anywhere on ebay. lol. I was searching for headphones in ebay India and all they had were crappy headphones.

Thanks man you are a life saver. Now it's just a question of which earphone to choose? I will keep researching the forums. I wish I can explain exactly in terms of sound, what I want, but the truth is I don't know squat about earphones and different sound quality.

I have never bought a good earphone. This is my first time. I do listen to music a lot and I like all genres. Everything from, pop, hip-hop, rock, metal and so on. I basically appreciate all kind of music and listen to all of them occasionally. For workouts I require high intensity music. For example, one of the songs I really like (right now) is In the House - In a heartbeat by John Murphy.

I don't know if what I wrote will help you guys make better recommendations. Tell me if anything else can help you guys. I am off to reading other posts in the forums to make a better decision.

Cheers

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 13

Alright guys, I am really inclining towards Klipsch S4

They are less than $100 and I got someone at ebay India selling them. So I can get these delivered pretty quickly I suppose.

Considering my basic needs, that is to workout and listen to my music with decent amount of noise isolation, do you think these are good?

For all others, I will have to pay the shipping charges and wait for quite some time for them to reach me. Clearing the customs do take a lot of time here in India.

So, in India Klipsch S4 and Bose in-ear phones are the only option for me.

So now, my question is, is it really worth ordering the ER6i from abroad?

I am just a noob and I am sure that anything that sounds better than the crappy headphones that came with the iPod will make me happy. I just want it to isolate the noise from the outside.

What do you think Joker?

Thanks for your time guys, much appreciated!

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 13
Keeping in mind that the Er6i are very cold/analytical-sounding earphones, they are probably not the best choice for someone new to hi-fi and looking for gym buds. That said, they were the first real step towards the audio addiction for many here (including myself). But I don't know if that's a road you want to travel down. Of the S4. Bose IE, and ER6i the S4 is probably the best all-rounder, especially for the gym. It won't keep up with some of the others I mentioned above (Eterna, R03, Head-Direct earphones, etc) in sound quality but it's a huge improvement over the Bose and has no real flaws in terms of comfort/isolation/usability. If you are curious to read my full impressions, I did review the S4 in the thread linked in my signature.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Eterna and RO3 are both much cheaper than the S4. Are they still better than the S4? You know anyone who isn't experienced in something generally goes by the rule the more expensive, the better. I know it is not the case in many situation.

Anyways, the guy says on the ebay page says that the Eterna aren't manufactured anymore and there are only 2 left. I am not sure if I want to buy them because, even though it will cost me less, it will still take a lot more time to get here. And I'll have to bare with these horrible headphones till then.

I am off to reading your reviews.

Cheers

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 13
Joker,

I am reading some really good stuff about the Eterna. I will buy it if you recommend it. I will put my money on your knowledge and reputation and buy this if you say it is a better choice than a S4.

Also, which one R03 or the Eterna?

What do you say?

Cheers!!

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 13
Alright, I read the review and it looks like that you recommend head direct RE0 over everything else.

However, I am not a detail freak or an accuracy lover. I am mostly looking to have fun with the IEM in the gym or outside, while travelling.

So according to your reviews, Eterna looks like a good choice for me. And since there is a Rev.1 version available (thanks a million for that link), I can go ahead and grab it right now.

So, just one last question (I know I am talking like an epic noob, hence the name)

Do you think this is the right choice for me?

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 13
I think the Eterna is an excellent and very unique earphone. I can't positively say that it's the right earphone for you as neither of us happens to know the exact type of sound you like. However, I do think the Eterna is a far safer choice than something like the Er6i or RE0 with its fun and engaging sound. The ViSang R03 is even more user-friendly in terms of sound (even warmer, smooth, forward mids) but the Eterna makes an especially good workout earphone with the included earguides after you get used to it.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Joker,

I went ahead and bought it. Now there is just one more of these available. :)

You have been of tremendous help brother. I would have bought you a beer if I could.

I can't wait for these to arrive now.

Cheers

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Joker,

I went ahead and bought it. Now there is just one more of these available. :)

You have been of tremendous help brother. I would have bought you a beer if I could.

I can't wait for these to arrive now.

Cheers

Congrats on your new earphones. I'm sure you'll like them and hopefully the wait isn't too great. Don't forget to give your ears time to adjust to the signature before passing judgment on them - an open mind is key to appreciating a new sound signature.

Oh and one day I will travel around the world and collect all of the beers people have promised me over the years. Until then, I'll just be happy that another person has avoided a close brush with Bose in-ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back