TOSLINK Optical to Coax Digital Converters
Sep 11, 2013 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jd007

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I need to hook up a TOSLINK optical output to a DAC which only takes coaxial digital inputs. I looked around and found some converters, in particular, this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSlink-Optical-to-COAX-Coaxial-Digital-Audio-Converter-24bit-192K-sampling-rate-/221156873861, which claims that other cheaper converters only do up to 48kHz, and theirs can do up to 24/192kHz. On the other converters I cannot find their sample rate limit, so I'm not sure if this is true. Is there a difference in how high the sample rate can go for a converter like this?

Also any other recommendations for such converters are welcome, as I don't want any degradation in the conversion process (TOSLINK is already the worst affected by jitter I think). Thanks in advance!

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 7
If the source is a Windows desktop PC, you can get a basic sound card with the S/PDIF coaxial output for around $20.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 7
It may support up to 24/192, but you probably will never use it.
The S/PDIF standard for optical is up to 96kHz, so it is rather unlikely that your source will output anything above that. 
On the other hand, at this price point it's probably not worth the time to do more research.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 7
@PurpleAngel: the source is actually a PS3 which only has optical out.

@PleasantSounds: yeah I'm aware of that but if what this 24/192 product says is true then the cheaper converters only do up to 48kHz. I would at least want to go up to the SPDIF max of 96kHz. I know the PS3 may not go up to that high but I might use it for other sources later.

Thanks for your help guys!

Does anybody know if the signal quality will be degraded with a converter like this? If so are there better quality ones out there?

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 7
@PurpleAngel: the source is actually a PS3 which only has optical out.

@PleasantSounds: yeah I'm aware of that but if what this 24/192 product says is true then the cheaper converters only do up to 48kHz. I would at least want to go up to the SPDIF max of 96kHz. I know the PS3 may not go up to that high but I might use it for other sources later.

Thanks for your help guys!

Does anybody know if the signal quality will be degraded with a converter like this? If so are there better quality ones out there?

I would say to get that cheap $25 converter for now, otherwise it might be better to sell off your coaxial DAC for an optical input DAC.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 7
I just bought the DAC and it is quite excellent with the only downside being the lack of optical input. I mainly use USB with my PC but would like to also use it with my PS3. I will try the converter I guess. If it works well then effectively I got optical input for my DAC. I just hope the quality isn't degraded so badly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back