Torpedo III Build Thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #91 of 322

Please keep in mind that I only have 5 pairs of Cinemags.  

I've got plenty more. No worries -- I'll drop them in the mail to Tom on Monday morning
smily_headphones1.gif

OK - well, there you go. 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #94 of 322
  Would like to add that it would be very nice if some of us Torpedo I owners could get the Cinemags sooner than later....
ph34r.gif

If Doug sends me a bunch, no problem.  These were just the terms we agreed to for the first half-dozen (I used one pair myself).

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #97 of 322
OK - Doug is going to send me a bunch that should arrive on Wednesday.  So, I will turn the Cinemag option back on with the understanding that follow-on sales of kits will be delayed in shipping a couple of days.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #98 of 322
  Would like to add that it would be very nice if some of us Torpedo I owners could get the Cinemags sooner than later....
ph34r.gif

Since Doug is sending me more, I will show some stock on the Cinemag individual listing.  Understand that I won't be able to ship until Thursday-Friday or so.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #101 of 322
I'm not very knowledgeable on tubes, but everything else is pretty high quality and probably the best it can be. Only potential is probably the parafeed caps, but the dimensions on it are pretty tight.

Yes, I think this is generally correct.  However - tubes are ubiquitous, readily available and the options are almost limitless.

On the Torpedo III website, there is a Tweaks page:
Torpedo III Tweaks

On that page, we describe three tweaks you can do for the Torpedo III, in the order of preference.  Preference, in my mind, would mean also including how much "the juice is worth the squeeze."  Anyway, unless Dsavitsk comes up with something else, we ranked them this way:
1. Output Transformers
2. Tubes
3. Parafeed Capacitors

The Output Transformers are obvious: the Cinemags.  The Parafeed Capacitors, as noted in some of the previous posts, may be problematic due to the high uf needed and the space available (not to mention $cost of high-uf boutique film capacitors).  Note that it is still listed as a possible Tweak, it's just not ranked as high as the other two.

That leaves the tubes.  Even though Doug has stated many times that the Torpedo III is optimized for the 12AY7, neither of us have come close to trying all the brands/makes that are available.  We simply selected the Electro-Harmonix as the most reliably-sourced and quality-controlled option to include with the kits.  That means there's a lot still out there.  Plus, we have already mentioned a number of variants that may have very interesting results when used in the Torpedo III.  As with any other tube amp, then, the idea of rolling tubes is absolutely valid for the Torpedo III and has yet to be fully explored.  With the 12A*7 family, the possibilities are almost unlimited. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #103 of 322
Thanks, looking forward to exploring those possibilities.

Thinking no, but is there enough room to mount ic1 and ic2 under the board rather than on top? Probably just a bit too high.

IC1 and IC2 were mounted on the bottom in my first prototype, because they simply wouldn't work on the top (I use different sockets than Doug.).  We changed the PCB so that wasn't necessary, but you still have to bend them forward a bit.  We thought that was a much better solution.  Despite the slight bending needed on the top of the PCB, they get in the way a whole lot more on the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back