Torn: Focal Elegia or Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X/RT?
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

pk4425

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all:
I'm looking to step up from my Meze 99 Classics in a closed-back. The Mezes' bass is just too uncontrolled, too bloomy.

Seeking something with some warmth and a bit of richness in controlled bass, with no bleed or bloom into the mids or treble. I do NOT like hot treble, as a pretty serious case of tinnitus makes me pretty treble-sensitive. Yet, I still want clear, detailed mids and treble. Basically, I seek something on the slightly warm or rolled-off side of neutrality, with good soundstage, detail and imaging.

My extensive research has led me to the discontinued Focal Elegia at $540 on Amazon or the Drop.com special on the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X for $380. I will drive these from the iFi hip-dac, SE with the Dan Clark's until I can get a balanced cable. I can go balanced with the Focals out of the box since the outstanding Audiophile Ninja balanced cable I have for my HiFiMan HE-400se -- LOVE those cans -- will work with the Focals.

My primary genres are classic rock, alt-country and Americana, with a hint of blues, hard bop jazz and progressive house EDM.

So, would the Elegia or Aeon Closed X/RT work best for me? Appreciate the advice!

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 34
You can get the Elegia from Adorama for $399 - which is a steal at that price.

I personally love the Elegia and think they are a steal at $400.

https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.h...nRFPVf2UkGxjNTJ20CZzM0&utm_source=rflaid62905
Holy hell, that's cheap. Thanks for the tip!

What kind of music sounds best to you on Elegia? Not too dry, clinical or bass-light? Remember, I'm FAR from a basshead. But I do like a bit of richness in my bass. Something like you would hear at a live club show.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 34

What kind of music sounds best to you on Elegia? Not too dry, clinical or bass-light? Remember, I'm FAR from a basshead. But I do like a bit of richness in my bass. Something like you would hear at a live club show.

Thanks!
My experience is that if the music has solid bass, the Elegia will present it for ya in a really nice and controlled way. Not boosted in the sub bass though. YMMV.

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 34
I own the Elegia and will say it is truly wrong to pass up that deal on adorama. My very recent Elegia came with normalized cables. Supposedly the Dan Clark closed RT are very close to harman target response curve in objective testing, and the purpose of the retune of the Dan Clark website version was specifically for better bass (closed version only). The drop are again retuned if you read their blurb. I went through this very same decision only a week ago, its a toss up. I like that the DC Aeon rt version gives an xlr choice without surcharge. Drop does not. I picked the Elegia as they are easy to run and I had already spent time with them. I like the timbre and yes they are versatile for all genres. Comes down to that deal being sooo good.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 34
Oh and the Elegia have both practical-use and musical versatility. I have been very impressed by whats come through off of my streaming app. They also do scale quite nicely. Not dissapointed. The DC Aeon RT aren't discontinued, Elegia are. Similar price histories.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 34

Thanks!
Yeah it’s a crazy deal right now. Not sure if you have the promo or not but certain people received a $60 off $300 more if you pay with PayPal (paypal promo). Sign in on the app and on the windows and search around for the promo section.

I listen to everything from light rock, current pop, edm, Chinese pop, rap.

If youre into bass, take the extra 150, you would save from buying at Adorama and buy the dekoni Stella ltd pads. Those pads will bring out the bass

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 34
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I didn't like either of the two you mentioned.

Perhaps to throw a new suggestion to review: The E-mu teak has imho the best overall bass in a headphone under $500. Check some reviews!

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 34
The Elegia are... Okay. A very good value at $400, probably the best closed back you can get at that price, but there are many things I'd take used for a little more over them.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 34
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I didn't like either of the two you mentioned.

Perhaps to throw a new suggestion to review: The E-mu teak has imho the best overall bass in a headphone under $500. Check some reviews!
The Teaks are intriguing, but every review mentions the bass, the bass, the bass. I should have been more explicit: I'm not a basshead. I don't want a ton of bass, even if it's well controlled. I just prefer a slightly warmer sound due to tinnitus. But I can live with neutrality or even mids and treble if they're both rolled off a bit.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 34
Such as? Please do tell!
I own both, and the Denon AH-D7200 gets far more use than the Elegia. I personally hear the Denons exactly as what you're describing -- warm, a little laid back in the treble (I also deal with fairly severe tinnitus). Some say they lack detail, but that hasn't been my experience. Yes, other headphones I own and have heard do offer more detail, but these aren't "lacking", and they're a very easy, pleasant listen. They can be had for $5-600 used.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 34
The Teaks are intriguing, but every review mentions the bass, the bass, the bass. I should have been more explicit: I'm not a basshead. I don't want a ton of bass, even if it's well controlled. I just prefer a slightly warmer sound due to tinnitus. But I can live with neutrality or even mids and treble if they're both rolled off a bit.
It’s not the MOST bass, it’s the best bass. They’re the best closed backs in the price range you mentioned imho. Good technicalities, natural tone, and great low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back