Torn between SF5P and ER4P...
Apr 26, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #61 of 74
You will always hear your footsteps with any IEM, but there shouldn't be any cord noise if the cord is secured properly and isn't rubbing against anything.

I wear mine like this:

P1012561.jpg

The cord is NOT wrapped around my neck. It is resting against my neck and goes over my shoulder. I also wore my E4Cs and UESF5Ps in this manner.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #62 of 74
I'm going to have to try that, Piccolo. I just got my set a few days ago, and I love them save the microphonics.

A side question, I found I prefer the foamies to the flanges, but I'm worried about how long they'll last with daily use. What kind of life do you guys get out of them, and would I see more life out of comply tips? Thanks.

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #63 of 74
The Shure black foamies are very tough, I can use them for a long time without the foam degrading or separating from the inner tube. They're washable too.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #65 of 74
They will all fit the ER4. They're much easier to get on and off than the Comply tips, too.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #66 of 74
How do they sound, compared to the stock black foamies (which of I love sound)?

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #67 of 74
I don't really know, I haven't directly compared them. They're certainly more comfortable (smoother) and a lot more dense. I imagine they probably offer better isolation, but I haven't tested this to be sure. Bass is good and the sound is clear and unmuffled.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #68 of 74
sometimes i feel the slight muddiness of my sf5p.

but what they excel at outnumbers these instances.

and i wouldnt say all vocals are super recessed, david bowie is inside my brain with the sf5p. it is heavenly stuff.

and royksopp in remind me, he is in my brain. and then when those synthesized drums kick in. oh man.

booyah!

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #69 of 74
Done a little more listening, but this time with the provided black foams. I noticed that the sound was slightly more involving and engaging. This may be due to the fact that the bass was also more apparent and had more impact. But it still sounds a bit analytical and "sterile", and the highs sound somewhat compressed and grainy (this may be due to the recordings, but some phones/speakers hide it better). Can't say that I am surprised, as I was expecting this when I decided to buy it. These seem very much like what it's advertised to be, a real monitor for your ear canals.
wink.gif

Am I disappointed? Not at all...you need to have realistic expectations before buying things, and I got what I expected. But my music listening preference favors a sound that is a bit more complimentary to the music, but does not bring obvious distortion to it, either.

So overall, great for critical listening and "monitoring" purposes, but less flattering and "musical" for enjoyment purposes. But I will still use them for my portable listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #71 of 74
Ok, this will probably be my final impression and judgment of the ER4P since I've had the opportunity to try them out with my Rio Karma, my intended source. What I've noticed is that the sound got softer (smoother?) and it became less analytical and harsh. And the bass presence was there, thanks greatly to the foam tips. I don't think I really need any eq adjustment for bass!
basshead.gif

Overall; great detail, neutrality, and convenience. Sounds great for portable setups, as intended. Consider me VERY SATISFIED!
etysmile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #72 of 74
I'm really glad you enjoy your ER4Ps. Definitely join us in the Etymotic owner's list!

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So overall, great for critical listening and "monitoring" purposes, but less flattering and "musical" for enjoyment purposes.

That is exactly the reason I chose to listen to my SFs instead of my E4cs. To my ears the 5s were more "musical"

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #74 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly the reason I chose to listen to my SFs instead of my E4cs. To my ears the 5s were more "musical"

Those were my impressions while using a DAC/amp combo, but when using my portable source (Rio Karma), the sound became less analytical and more smoother and pleasant sounding. For portable listening (at least with Rio Karma), they offer a musically neutral and smooth sound.

I'm considering a P-to-S converter for use with my DAC/amp in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back