Torn between Denon 2000 and hd650
Dec 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
I want to make a good headphone investment and have something that will last me.

I usually listen to: techno/electronic, rock, and rap off my macbook pro.

I currently have a cmoy amp and a fiio e5.

I am a bit worried that the hd650s might not be a good solution when i study at the library on the go.

I plan on investing in a quality dac/amp eventually. I am a bit interested in the compass though at this time.

People are telling me that the denons are the way to go but i dont want to get an inferior phone either that can really be surpassed by the hd650s. Thing is that the hd650s are at least 100$ more, im guessing they probably are higher quality.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 25
i can spend up to 350.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 25
I love my HD650 but unless it is a live recording of softer rock, etc. I use them for classical only. Perhaps the D2000 would be a better solution, espcially if you want to use them in the library. They aren't super leak proof, but being closed cans they are much better than the HD650.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 25
What would the differences be between the two phones?
I just have this idea that the sennheiser hd650 is a superior product, is there benefit in going with the less sensitive phone?

Throw in a ahd5000 in the mix, how would that verse against the other two.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 25
What kind(s) of music do you listen to? That's a determining factor as to which headphone will be better suited.

And cost has nothing to very little to do with which headphone will be better suited for you. Just because one headphone is more expensive or preferred by people with expensive rigs doesn't mean it is going to be the better headphone for your needs.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 25
Electronic/techno (tiesto, deadmau5, benassi) the most lately, rock (aerosmith, metallica, ac/dc), rap (3 6 mafia, eminem). Stuff like that.

I am a basshead.

But i do like a wide variety of stuff and listen to just about everything at some point.
Don't use much for movies or games.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronic/techno (tiesto, deadmau5, benassi) the most lately, rock (aerosmith, metallica, ac/dc), rap (3 6 mafia, eminem). Stuff like that.

I am a basshead.

But i do like a wide variety of stuff and listen to just about everything at some point.
Don't use much for movies or games.

Ultrasone

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 25
Which ultrasone model?

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #14 of 25
The HD600/HD650 wouldn't be my choice for the hard rock and the hard driving rock that you listen to. They just don't have the energy and the speed.

The D2000 is also not so well suited for hard rock. Hard rock is one area where the D2000 can fall apart. They have a recessed midrange right where the lead guitar(s) and vocals tend to be for that kind of rock. The guitars need to drive the music and if they are recessed and distant rather than front and center the music just doesn't work. I have taken to adding EQ to my D2000 when listening to hard rock. I'm adding a few dB at 600Hz, 4 to 5 dB at 1kHz, and about 3dB at 3kHz. That gets the rock more forward and rocking again. But it also changes the Denon sound and makes the bass less prominent. The D2000 are not suitable for hard rock unless you EQ them. For electronic they'll be fine with no EQ. I don't listen to rap so can't comment on how they sound for rap. For jam rock like Grateful Dead I tend to turn off the EQ. It's only the hard rock and a few other special cases where I turn on the EQ.

You might also want to look at some of the Pro series Ultrasones. When I've had a chance to listen to them at meets they've always given me the impression that they could work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back