Topping G5
Jul 20, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #256 of 354
I agree the amp section is really great for what it is (single ended nfca). I got a nice bump in quality using a different DAC with the G5 amp section. A testament to the amp’s transparency!

Glad that I'm not insane for using a dongle with G5 :dt880smile: G5 is a good test of the internal amp stage of any DAP or all-in-one as well. My question for reviewing any source nowadays is "can it beat G5's amp"

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #257 of 354
Naah you're not insane... At least not more insane than anybody else in the hobby 😁
I´m using G5 with Q5K only and love it! 😍
IMG_20230721_135711.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #258 of 354
Using my G5 with a dongle also - TempoTec BHD pro via Neutron "convert all to DSD".
A definite improvement over the internal DAC to my ears
IMG_1373.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #259 of 354
Glad that I'm not insane for using a dongle with G5 :dt880smile: G5 is a good test of the internal amp stage of any DAP or all-in-one as well. My question for reviewing any source nowadays is "can it beat G5's amp"
do you find the K7 or G5 overall more enjoyable? Curious as I just came across a reddit thread with the guy claiming he couldn't hear the $250 from his highly recommended from cousin recent purchase. Overkill for M50x. :smile: :smile: Both have similar prices and both use high tier DACs.

Jul 23, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #260 of 354
do you find the K7 or G5 overall more enjoyable? Curious as I just came across a reddit thread with the guy claiming he couldn't hear the $250 from his highly recommended from cousin recent purchase. Overkill for M50x. :smile: :smile: Both have similar prices and both use high tier DACs.
G5 by itself is not very enjoyable to me. It compresses the stage depth a bit too much, though the width is good. I listen primarily to orchestral and I am obsessed with staging, so I’m more sensitive. People might not care.

K7 by itself has a slightly warm-ish, with more body. You can feel it, though not to the degree of a warm IEM. I was quite shocked how “puffy” it sounds when comparing directly to P6 Pro DAP. Still, it sounds spacious, not harsh, even “musical”.

G5 with an external DAC is a different story though. The compressed depth is gone. Depending on your DAC, the tonality can shift a bit. M6Ultra + G5 handily beats K7 on every aspect that I index for, though there is no logical reason to buy an M6U AND a G5.

I believe in “trained listener”. When I started, I couldn’t even hear any difference between IEMs :dt880smile:

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #261 of 354
I really enjoy the G5. I received my second one today. lol. Overall I prefer the sound of AK as I like smooth and warm more. With the 9068AS on some recordings I can still hear aliasing but nowhere near as much as 9218 or 9038q. I really like the imaging and separation but as you said the stage is a bit compressed or loose. I tested all my DACs leading up to receiving my first G5 and it was apparent listening to two audio streams at the same barely had any distortion or muffling and hearing details in games I haven't heard before whilst a podcast is in the background. I think some of the detail retrieval is a testament to how good the amp section is too. The best part for me though is after I sell some old audio equipment and controllers I am all USB type C and A now.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #262 of 354
about that second G5. I think the DAC is bad. I only used BT for about 5 mins before I thought the battery died. I can use aux and there is no light like it should be. but for USB and BT I get the flashing blue but as soon as I insert or pair, it goes to flashing red, meaning no input. stale blue would mean input detected and it should work. I just read the manual and near the bottom you get the warranty instantly void if you open up your G5. on other forums I've read topping dips the PCBs in epoxy and do some other dubious stuff. I'm not sure if it's official stance of topping but supposedly it's to protect their craft. After the obligatory laughter, you realize if topping is using epoxy, it's planned obsolescence and they intend their products to be disposable. no public battery option and epoxy can make a simple fix a nightmare, not to mention probably some measurable contraction and expansion figured in which eventually interferes with circuits. I don't know about y'all but right to repair and offering parts and batteries for your wares can build strong brand loyalty. just sharing all this because the only option given is to return, no exchange. and it's not due to inventory. what makes this mildly infuriating is I got it on sale. again. meaning I imported it to where I am for $315USD with IVA. what do you think of the used options? there is one like new for $240 but quite sure I would have to pay IVA still making it ~$300. I'm tempted because I'm hoping someone didn't like it and just returned it or just stole the cables from it. the G5 has been out almost a year now I think so somebody's curiosity sooner or later will open it up after warranty expired. topping doesn't put the best batteries in their portable devices and pleather be damned they're going to swap a battery in.

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #263 of 354
anybody else's bluetooth cutout? not like static or distortion because of obstructions. because of my temporary liveing arrangement I have been using bluetooth exclusively this last week and using firefox and all videos eventually sound cuts OFF. something as simple as changing tabs or pausing a video can make this happen. I have been using the ldac a2dp alternate driver and today I uninstalled the driver and same issue. I've had some walking time with my phone and it never did this. so I am thinking windows, browser or driver could be the issue. it's been annoying.

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #264 of 354
I don't use Bluetooth with the computer so I can't be any help. Haven't seen anything like that with Android. Are you using an integrated Bluetooth adapter or one of the little USB dongles?

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #265 of 354
straight up G5 to PC is the issue. Android no issue. Sometimes I check volume mixer and sound settings and everything is fine there. It just stops playing sound but the sound is playing. Sometimes it takes 3-5 seconds for sound to start playing and other times less than 1 sec. the amount of times per day is double digits.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #266 of 354
straight up G5 to PC is the issue. Android no issue. Sometimes I check volume mixer and sound settings and everything is fine there. It just stops playing sound but the sound is playing. Sometimes it takes 3-5 seconds for sound to start playing and other times less than 1 sec. the amount of times per day is double digits.
Same behavior via USB? Do you have the Topping Windows driver installed?

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #267 of 354
anybody else's bluetooth cutout? not like static or distortion because of obstructions. because of my temporary liveing arrangement I have been using bluetooth exclusively this last week and using firefox and all videos eventually sound cuts OFF. something as simple as changing tabs or pausing a video can make this happen. I have been using the ldac a2dp alternate driver and today I uninstalled the driver and same issue. I've had some walking time with my phone and it never did this. so I am thinking windows, browser or driver could be the issue. it's been annoying.
No bluetooth problem from my side. The only non-audio problem of G5 is the inference noise whenever I place my phone near the device.

And yeah, the built-in DAC is quite bad when A/Bing against even Apple dongle. I actually use BTR5 as the bluetooth receiver and DAC for G5.

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #268 of 354
no. not the same behavior with USB. USB is flawless. yes, I have the windows topping driver installed though I don't think it's necessary.

my G5 is stuck to G8X and only recently have I heard the little crackle or distortion here and there. it is so infrequent that part hasn't been a nuisance. the built in DAC is awesome. I haven't heard the apple dongle as I'm not a fan.

Aug 13, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #269 of 354
just in case anybody interested. I sometimes move around a lot so my setup changes often. I bought this for strain relief mostly so I can position differently to move the strain mid cable. more useful than I thought it would be. using the 3.5mm straight isn't always ideal for me and if some of you haven't noticed, the usb-c ports and HP and Line in/out are sloppy, meaning loose and sometimes affecting connection.

~$25 shipped. ddHIFI DJ30C on aliexpress and $5-$10 more if you find it somewhere else. I think ddHIFI has a 4.4mm one for ~ similar price and I think it's DJ30A. I don't have anything 4.4.

Attachments

• 20230813_125040.jpg
    20230813_125040.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_125013.jpg
    20230813_125013.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #270 of 354
Hi everyone, It appears that, as mentioned by @arbiter76 , the depth of the soundstage is not satisfactory. Despite its impressive width, there is a noticeable compression in the depth of the soundstage. In addition to this issue, I find that things deteriorate further. Not only does the soundstage depth present a problem, but the imaging as well, which could be characterized by a three blob-ish one, resulting in a blurry and indistinct positioning of instruments.

What exacerbates the problem is the fact that even a basic Apple dongle significantly improves the two mentioned shortcomings of the DAC. To be honest, this is quite disappointing for me, especially considering the exceptional performance of the amp section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back