Topping D50
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #106 of 1,054
I use linear fast roll off filters on every DAC because, without getting into it, it's the most transparent filter.

OK, thanks, transparent is good :ksc75smile:

I have just left it in mode 5, I'll give it a few days and change back to the factory default mode 1 and see if I think I can hear a difference.

After several hours of listening yesterday I continue to agree completely with your description of the sonics. I will also add the sound has a velvet like quality that pulls me right into the music. In my experience "velvet" comes with some loss of resolution, but not here! I can't recall hearing resolution like this in any of my personal systems.

Resolution + musicality is a really good combination of qualities.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #107 of 1,054
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #108 of 1,054
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #109 of 1,054
Jul 10, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #110 of 1,054
hey guys! i got a question dou, does the topping d50 good to stack with the topping a30 headphone amp?

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #113 of 1,054
Jul 25, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #114 of 1,054
nope. this is just DAC. So volume control is not available. It will be on the amp that you connect to D50.

I think he was asking if you can control volume through windows, which you can using the internal direct sound drivers of windows OS. Its the volume control located at the bottom right of almost all windows os. The D50 is no different from any other plug and play dac as they all allow for internal windows volume control unless you are using a program that takes advantage of Waspi or Asio that bypasses directsound.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #115 of 1,054
I think he was asking if you can control volume through windows, which you can using the internal direct sound drivers of windows OS. Its the volume control located at the bottom right of almost all windows os. The D50 is no different from any other plug and play dac as they all allow for internal windows volume control unless you are using a program that takes advantage of Waspi or Asio that bypasses directsound.
Yes, :) you can totally do that, but it would most likely affect the quality of sound. You are better off leaving it at full and managing the volume through amp.

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #118 of 1,054

Thank you BrotherKathos, that was exactly was I was trying to ask.

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #119 of 1,054
Quick question for you TOPPING D50 owners: When using the TOPPING D50 with the USB interface, is it possible to control the audio/volume level using the windows volume control? Thanks ya'll!

Yes, :) you can totally do that, but it would most likely affect the quality of sound. You are better off leaving it at full and managing the volume through amp.

It has something like that, but its essentially attenuation and not really volume control. You are better off leaving it at 1, and use amp to control volume. Most likely reducing the attenuation on D50 will reduce the dynamic range.

The Topping D50 utilises the 64bit digital signal processing capabilities of the ES9038Q2M to digitally attenuate the volume (all the way down to -120dB muting) without degrading sound quality. The audio signal (up to 32 bits) is kept completely intact. This is the very reason that the D50 will be my next upgrade for my desktop:
j7ROVmL.jpg

Yes it's dusty, I had just finished mounting those speakers.

Just upgraded to the Adam T7V monitors yesterday and they are pro studio monitors, meaning extreme clarity and individual gain adjustments on the back. So I want a DAC that does bit-perfect software volume control to replace the Audioquest Dragonfly Black that's currently feeding them - but without breaking the bank. Tadaa, enter the Topping D50 at the top of my list after doing a bunch of research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back