Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Aug 24, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #286 of 807
*** actually last night. PS, do you automatically know what the ‘right’ thing to measure is? The point is that measurement cannot CAPTURE an experience.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #288 of 807
Aug 24, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #289 of 807
Could we keep things civil, not start throwing around ad hominem, but rather target the argument, not the person making it - its not really useful to anyone involved, and just clogs the thread?
Also, not use "objective" where it isn't appropriate? Most people prefer bass elevated by about 5dB on average as per Harman's research, and currently more or less the only planar to meet that target is the DCA Stealth. Most are 5-10dB below that target - so people finding planars on average lacking in quantity should come as no surprise.
Incidentally DCA is conversely one of the more extreme examples of the other common property or issue with planars, that being a perceived lacking sense of dynamics, similar but less extreme to electrostats (planars being somewhat like an electrodynamic version of electrostatic membrane drivers), comparatively speaking to dynamic driver units such as Focal or Fostex.
Most if not all planars excibit some combination of these leading to some not finding their bass engaging enough.

Where planars excel in terms of bass is their speed, texturing and resolution - often lending to the perceived dry and precise bass. Which naturally some prefer in high end audio - its just important to realize it has its tradeoffs.

My 2 cents at least. Cheers.
Noted. Still stand by my post though....except the preference part that you fleshed out really well.

Aug 24, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #290 of 807
So I had quite the wild ride with this A90D...

12 hours into ownership I'm jamming away and I go hmm...don't remember this track being so right-sided. Volume also dropped out hard. 99% on the volume and not even remotely loud. Barely a normal listening level. Yup! A90D took a dump. No "pop" no abnormal pitched noise. Just left channel died on my Arya and volume dropped out mid track. It broke the left driver in my Arya on the single-ended unbalanced output. Zero audio output on my Arya. Tried swapping cables around, different amp, etc. Dead. What kind of recourse you think I have with Topping? You think they'll tell me to shove it or you think they'll try to compensate me for destroying my Arya in less than 12 hours of ownership? I'm out of warranty and had to pay Hifiman for a replacement (with shipping in my busted Arya).

Vendor definitely went "above and beyond" to try and right the ship the best they could. They offered replace vs return. I figured replace. I have the new A90D with the broken one still on my desk (it's going back tomorrow). Very trustworthy vendor to send a second one out without receiving broken product and without additional funds placed on hold. They also gave me a killer price on a new pair of headphones so I picked up the Focal Clear Mg. Breaking them in and using the XLR pathway on these. So here is A90D #2 with a pair of Focal Clear Mg while my Arya on a UPS truck back to Hifiman.

300863762_613779545783_6164218203590310103_n.jpg
Ooof. I guess Topping has more experience with IC opamp based amps instead of discretes. Could this be teething pains until they get the SMD robot working right???

Aug 24, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #291 of 807
That's measuring the wrong thing. How do you not understand? That's like saying "Why not measure how much peanut butter is in a jar to gauge how headphones sound?" Measuring emotion can be done but that doesn't have anything to do with this. If you want some examples of basic headphone measurements, check Rtings.com. Also check out CSD graphs. That is, if you care. Most people don't and think their results are valid after multiple incorrect assumptions. When was the last time you even used a meter to volume match when doing a comparison? It's basic things like this that people don't do which calls into question the validity of most subjective impressions on here.
Ignoring how far off the rails this has gone, the debate is sorta pointless. You’re arguing with people who will refuse any fact or information that doesn’t agree with their subjective experience, regardless of not having done anything to ensure they aren’t marred by placebo, bias, volume difference etc., so you’re never going to ‘win’. Not worth the energy or pages of space…
people have different approaches to audio. Tricky thing is just figuring out which is which.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #292 of 807
So I had quite the wild ride with this A90D...

12 hours into ownership I'm jamming away and I go hmm...don't remember this track being so right-sided. Volume also dropped out hard. 99% on the volume and not even remotely loud. Barely a normal listening level. Yup! A90D took a dump. No "pop" no abnormal pitched noise. Just left channel died on my Arya and volume dropped out mid track. It broke the left driver in my Arya on the single-ended unbalanced output. Zero audio output on my Arya. Tried swapping cables around, different amp, etc. Dead. What kind of recourse you think I have with Topping? You think they'll tell me to shove it or you think they'll try to compensate me for destroying my Arya in less than 12 hours of ownership? I'm out of warranty and had to pay Hifiman for a replacement (with shipping in my busted Arya).

Vendor definitely went "above and beyond" to try and right the ship the best they could. They offered replace vs return. I figured replace. I have the new A90D with the broken one still on my desk (it's going back tomorrow). Very trustworthy vendor to send a second one out without receiving broken product and without additional funds placed on hold. They also gave me a killer price on a new pair of headphones so I picked up the Focal Clear Mg. Breaking them in and using the XLR pathway on these. So here is A90D #2 with a pair of Focal Clear Mg while my Arya on a UPS truck back to Hifiman.

300863762_613779545783_6164218203590310103_n.jpg
oh my... did you notice any weird stuff happening before your headphones be killed? do you turn off your amp after your listening sessions or you keep it powered on?

maaan now i'm very worried if could be happening to me too, especially now that i'm using umbalanced connection between dac-amp mixed with balanced amp-headphones connection

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #293 of 807
Guys, please report back issues with single ended, this is bit worrisome.

I think not all headphones can fail rightaway even if there is an issue, It will be great ff similar scenario can be recreated and changes in the power measured for any kind of anomaly.

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #294 of 807
IMG_20220627_214504.jpg

I am a legit owner of Topping's gears and other well-measureing amps. Really would like to know, what improvements have been made to the Topping A90 Discrete. Or is it a simple bi-annual refresh in the lineup for the sake of releasing a product as a product cycle of the original A90 ended?
How does it drive the Susvara?

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #295 of 807
I disagree that it has to be heard. We know the limits of human hearing and the components of sound quality. We are able to measure them and determine the quality compared to either other devices or the limits of human hearing.
Human hearing isn't a continuum.
Sound only has significance when it is heard.

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #297 of 807
I've tried the Susvara with all the amps you see in my signature. Most of them are not powerful enough to make these headphones perform properly. As of now, my favorite amps for the Susvara are the McIntosh MHA200, Flux Volot, and the A90D is not far behind those two.
I second the MHA200 + Susvara pairing. I have some 19awg pure silver true balanced cables running out of the two 3-pin outputs and I think it's bliss. Numbers aren't everything looking at what the MHA200 outputs. I was also looking at the Flux Volot but it's massive, hence I'm looking at this thread.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #298 of 807
oh my... did you notice any weird stuff happening before your headphones be killed? do you turn off your amp after your listening sessions or you keep it powered on?

maaan now i'm very worried if could be happening to me too, especially now that i'm using umbalanced connection between dac-amp mixed with balanced amp-headphones connection

I've been jamming the Focal Clear Mg non-stop 24 hours straight via balanced. Then gave it a rest. Been jamming the last 6 hours no issues. Yesterday had a friend bring over his HD 650. It didn't blow up on the unbalanced out. I'm just hoping it was a defective unit. There was no weird stuff it just went without a whimper.

With that said, the D90SE (or LE for the I hate MQA crowd) + A90D is truly a wonderful combo. D90SE very revealing. I'm relistening to music and tracks I know very well I'm surprised to be picking up things I never did before on other hardware.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #299 of 807
I've been jamming the Focal Clear Mg non-stop 24 hours straight via balanced. Then gave it a rest. Been jamming the last 6 hours no issues. Yesterday had a friend bring over his HD 650. It didn't blow up on the unbalanced out. I'm just hoping it was a defective unit. There was no weird stuff it just went without a whimper.

With that said, the D90SE (or LE for the I hate MQA crowd) + A90D is truly a wonderful combo. D90SE very revealing. I'm relistening to music and tracks I know very well I'm surprised to be picking up things I never did before on other hardware.
is the dac that gamechanging? i'm using the d10s and i already can hear the difference

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #300 of 807
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back