Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Aug 24, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #241 of 807
Forgot to mention it's a "review" of my Gustard X26 Pro but both of the DACs you mentioned are briefly described in it, too. I still have the D90 and I have a decent recollection of what the Ares II was like, so just send me a private message if you have any specific questions (don't want to litter this thread).

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #242 of 807
I've tried the Susvara with all the amps you see in my signature. Most of them are not powerful enough to make these headphones perform properly. As of now, my favorite amps for the Susvara are the McIntosh MHA200, Flux Volot, and the A90D is not far behind those two.
You seem to have some fantastic gear at your disposal. And it's interesting to know that you think the A90D is not far behind.

Have you thought about upgrading your DAC? I used to be a non-believer but each of the DACs I've had (D90, Ares II, Gustard) has sounded different with the current one being a clear step above the other two. With headphones like yours and the rest of the gear I'm certain that your Susvara is not being allowed to spread its wings fully due to the DAC.

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #243 of 807
Forgot to mention it's a "review" of my Gustard X26 Pro but both of the DACs you mentioned are briefly described in it, too. I still have the D90 and I have a decent recollection of what the Ares II was like, so just send me a private message if you have any specific questions (don't want to litter this thread).
Sure, X26 seems interesting, bit out of my target range, but will still keep it as an option.

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #244 of 807
So I had quite the wild ride with this A90D...

12 hours into ownership I'm jamming away and I go hmm...don't remember this track being so right-sided. Volume also dropped out hard. 99% on the volume and not even remotely loud. Barely a normal listening level. Yup! A90D took a dump. No "pop" no abnormal pitched noise. Just left channel died on my Arya and volume dropped out mid track. It broke the left driver in my Arya on the single-ended unbalanced output. Zero audio output on my Arya. Tried swapping cables around, different amp, etc. Dead. What kind of recourse you think I have with Topping? You think they'll tell me to shove it or you think they'll try to compensate me for destroying my Arya in less than 12 hours of ownership? I'm out of warranty and had to pay Hifiman for a replacement (with shipping in my busted Arya).

Vendor definitely went "above and beyond" to try and right the ship the best they could. They offered replace vs return. I figured replace. I have the new A90D with the broken one still on my desk (it's going back tomorrow). Very trustworthy vendor to send a second one out without receiving broken product and without additional funds placed on hold. They also gave me a killer price on a new pair of headphones so I picked up the Focal Clear Mg. Breaking them in and using the XLR pathway on these. So here is A90D #2 with a pair of Focal Clear Mg while my Arya on a UPS truck back to Hifiman.

300863762_613779545783_6164218203590310103_n.jpg
Wait a minute. The A90D destroyed your headphones and you are still willing to buy there crap(topping) just because your dealer gaved you a good price on the focal.

I understand why no dealers I know have sells topping. I seriously cant believe that you are still “willing” to take the risk to damage your Focals.

No offense but I dont get it.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #245 of 807
Order placed, now which DAC will go best with this, options I am currently thinking of D90 / Denafrips Ares II?

Will be great to have some opinions or experiences.
IIRC The Ares II with its unbuffered outputs could run into issues with the unusually low input impedances on the A90, A90D, P90 -- even more so if you use a balanced hookup.

IMHO the Ares 2 and Singxer SA-1 (appropriately matched higher Zin) make a nice pairing, but that's another story.

D90 or RME ADI-2 FS would do nicely with an A90D -- I've got both paired with an A90 each and no complaints at all.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #246 of 807
Wait a minute. The A90D destroyed your headphones and you are still willing to buy there crap(topping) just because your dealer gaved you a good price on the focal.

I understand why no dealers I know have sells topping. I seriously cant believe that you are still “willing” to take the risk to damage your Focals.

No offense but I dont get it.

My hand wasn't forced. I had option to do everything I did and get something else. I'll return it if it fails again. All of it. I'm not going to let one failure ruin the entire experience. This amp still sounds stellar.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #247 of 807
I updated to 2.4 and it now prevents the A90 from restarting when I plug in/unplug a SE connector, but I still get the pop and "-2" error.
I'm trying to get a replacement through Apos but they seem to want to charge me for shipping out the replacement.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #248 of 807
You seem to have some fantastic gear at your disposal. And it's interesting to know that you think the A90D is not far behind.

Have you thought about upgrading your DAC? I used to be a non-believer but each of the DACs I've had (D90, Ares II, Gustard) has sounded different with the current one being a clear step above the other two. With headphones like yours and the rest of the gear I'm certain that your Susvara is not being allowed to spread its wings fully due to the DAC.
I've owned an Yggy A2, Pontus II, Hugo TT2, and X26 PRO. I quit chasing DACs after I could conduct volume-matched A/B tests. IMO all properly-designed DACs sound the same. I prefer to play with flavors by trying different amps, tubes, and headphones.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #249 of 807
I've owned an Yggy A2, Pontus II, Hugo TT2, and X26 PRO. I quit chasing DACs after I could conduct volume-matched A/B tests. IMO all properly-designed DACs sound the same. I prefer to play with flavors by trying different amps, tubes, and headphones.
Listen to the drum and you will eventually find the difference :wink:

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #250 of 807
My hand wasn't forced. I had option to do everything I did and get something else. I'll return it if it fails again. All of it. I'm not going to let one failure ruin the entire experience. This amp still sounds stellar.
If my local dealer sold me a wellknown-for-bad-QC product. They would never give me good deals on anything, because my dealer would tell me its my own responsibility if anything happened. I would not even ask for anything because I know it might happen(60%) But hey! your dealer must have a good heart. You lucky.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #251 of 807
Listen to the drum and you will eventually find the difference :wink:
Eventually? Why bother? If one can be as happy with a $700 D90 as one would with a $6,000 TT2, isn't that a huge win?

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #252 of 807
Eventually? Why bother? If one can be as happy with a $700 D90 as one would with a $6,000 TT2, isn't that a huge win?

If there IS an audible difference, the D90 should objectively be better. A certain scientific review-y place measured the TT2 yesterday. Performance puts it around the $300-400 mark. I don't think the wonky interface or aesthetics are worth the premium.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #253 of 807
If my local dealer sold me a wellknown-for-bad-QC product. They would never give me good deals on anything, because my dealer would tell me its my own responsibility if anything happened. I would not even ask for anything because I know it might happen(60%) But hey! your dealer must have a good heart. You lucky.
"The garbage I sold you doesn't work? Too bad. It's your fault for buying it."

I don't think that's even legal unless they have a disclaimer warning that it's garbage and is being sold as-is.

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #254 of 807
"The garbage I sold you doesn't work? Too bad. It's your fault for buying it."

I don't think that's even legal unless they have a disclaimer warning that it's garbage and is being sold as-is.
My rme adi2 measures way better than TT2. But it sounds like crap next to TT2. How you gonna say measurements counts when it doesnt…unless you believe in numbers and not your ears

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #255 of 807
My rme adi2 measures way better than TT2. But it aounds like crap next to TT2. How you gonna say measurements counts when it doesnt…unless you believe in numbers and not your ears

Unfortunately most people here are trying to conduct scientific experiments without knowing the first thing on how to conduct a proper test and that produces invalid results.
And that's not to mention how variable and limited our biology is compared to proper test equipment.
If someone got a job testing the audio of a product and just used their ears they'd be fired and laughed out of the building. Unless of course if they were designing overpriced boutique hifi products. Then no one would question them or care how their products measure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back