Topping a50s or schiit Asgard 3
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Topping A50s if you're mostly concerned about how something measures.
Schiit Asgard 3 has a more "musical" sound signature but doesn't measure nearly as well as the Topping. Yet many seem to prefer the sound of the Asgard 3 over something more "neutral".

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 13
@Mr Head P Hones

Schiit will rip you off with extra fees on the Asgard. They tacked on $34 in charges when I went to checkout. Homie don't play that!

Capture+_2021-02-16-10-27-33.png

Topping A50s if you're mostly concerned about how something measures.
Schiit Asgard 3 has a more "musical" sound signature but doesn't measure nearly as well as the Topping. Yet many seem to prefer the sound of the Asgard 3 over something more "neutral".

So they say. They (Head-fi and SBAF Schiit cultists) also said the Magni 3 was "the best solid state amp under $1,000" back when it came out in 2017. I bought into the hype and was thoroughly disappointed, rarely used it and eventually sold off the Magni.

Measurements matter and the proof in the pudding is that Schiit has revamped their product line in response to the poor measurements their older products yielded. It's a contradiction in terms for the Schiiters to dismiss measurements when their darling company is now playing Topping's game. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 13
@Mr Head P Hones

Schiit will rip you off with extra fees on the Asgard. They tacked on $34 in charges when I went to checkout. Homie don't play that!

So they say. They (Head-fi and SBAF Schiit cultists) also said the Magni 3 was "the best solid state amp under $1,000" back when it came out in 2017. I bought into the hype and was thoroughly disappointed, rarely used it and eventually sold off the Magni.

Measurements matter and the proof in the pudding is that Schiit has revamped their product line in response to the poor measurements their older products yielded. It's a contradiction in terms for the Schiiters to dismiss measurements when their darling company is now playing Topping's game. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery.
So you pay 7% mandatory sales tax which is very little, sales tax in the Netherlands is 21% for example.
19 dollars shipping doesn't seem to be that outrageous either to me.

Measurements matter.. to a certain extent yes. But it's not the be be all end all.
The Modi 3+ measures significantly better then the Yggdrasil yet everyone agrees that the Yggdrasil sounds much better.

I'm not a Schiit fanboy I couldn't care less if the OP or you or anyone else buys Schiit, Topping or SMSL or whatever they fancy.

You on the other hand really are grasping at straws to be negative about Schiit. The OMG they "rip you off" 34 dollars onto the price.... makes no sense whatsoever.

Interesting review for you:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 13
So you pay 7% sales tax which is very little, sales tax in the Netherlands is 21% for example.
19 dollars shipping doesn't seem to be that outrageous either to me.

Measurements matter.. to a certain extent yes. But it's not be be all end all.
The 99 dollar Modi 3+ measures significantly better then the 2500 dollar Yggdrasil yet everyone agrees that the Yggdrasil sounds much better.

I'm not a Schiit fanboy I couldn't care less if the OP or you or anyone else buys Schiit, Topping or SMSL or whatever they fancy.

You on the other hand really are grasping at straws to be negative about Schiit. The OMG they "tack" 34 dollars onto the price.... point made

First of all, I don't live in the State Schiit is HQ'd or has facilities in so they can't legally charge me sales tax. Second, the sales tax in my state is not 7%. It's lower.

This is America. Not the Netherlands. Paying shipping for online sales of any good is a rarity. Especially for a $199 purchase. Nearly every online retailer in the USA has free shipping for orders above $35-99.

Frankly, Schiit's business practices look like a hot mess. Inappropriately charging out of state customers taxes. Putting their thumb on the postal scale. In my opinion it's text book price obfuscation. The intent is to mislead the customer with a lower initial price on the underlying product and then lop on an outsized shipping charge to boost their bottom line. Unscrupulous Ebay merchants were notorious for doing this before policy changes on excessive shipping charges were implemented.

Let's be honest here. Schiit is a creature of social media and viral marketing. So yes, they are overhyped and benefit from groupthink, cascade-opinon effect, and the generally laziness of people to default-option to the brand with the largest visibility/presence in any given market segment regardless of contemporaneous merit.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 13
First of all, I don't live in the State Schiit is HQ'd or has facilities in so they can't legally charge me sales tax. Second, the sales tax in my state is not 7%. It's lower.

This is America. Not the Netherlands. Paying shipping for online sales of any good is a rarity. Especially for a $199 purchase. Nearly every online retailer in the USA has free shipping for orders above $35-99.

Frankly, Schiit's business practices look like a hot mess. Inappropriately charging out of state customers taxes. Putting their thumb on the postal scale. In my opinion it's text book price obfuscation. The intent is to mislead the customer with a lower initial price on the underlying product and then lop on an outsized shipping charge to boost their bottom line. Unscrupulous Ebay merchants were notorious for doing this before policy changes on excessive shipping charges were implemented.

Let's be honest here. Schiit is a creature of social media and viral marketing. So yes, they are overhyped and benefit from groupthink, cascade-opinon effect, and the generally laziness of people to default-option to the brand with the largest visibility/presence in any given market segment regardless of contemporaneous merit.

.... Almost every state requires out of state sellers collect sales tax for online sales now. It's been like that for years.

I do agree that $20 shipping on a $200 product is a little excessive... But have a hard time believing your local sales tax is "much less" than 7%. Like it might be 5% - oh no you paid $4 extra. If there's really an issue? Email them. It's an automated form, there may have been an error. In the end, though... The fact that you posted that screenshot expecting sympathy is hilarious. "Fees" = tax and a shipping charge. Nothing shady.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 13
.... Almost every state requires out of state sellers collect sales tax for online sales now. It's been like that for years.

I do agree that $20 shipping on a $200 product is a little excessive... But have a hard time believing your local sales tax is "much less" than 7%. Like it might be 5% - oh no you paid $4 extra. If there's really an issue? Email them. It's an automated form, there may have been an error. In the end, though... The fact that you posted that screenshot expecting sympathy is hilarious. "Fees" = tax and a shipping charge. Nothing shady.

Well I have to eat some crow here. Looks like my fellow county residents have upped the sales tax to 7%. Used to be 6% then went to 6.5 and now it's 7%. So Schiit's sales tax calculator works properly. A customer rep from Schiit confirmed it's based on zipcode, as you said.

As for collecting out-of-state taxes I guess more retailers are falling into line as states enter into tax exchange pacts. It sucks. Not Schiit's fault.

Sorry for the drama folks.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 13

Same here in the Netherlands.
Most of the retailers don't charge shipping costs. Ordered a basic USB cable for €5 and got is shipped for free and received it the next day.

We have to stay/be realistic though when it comes to Schiit.
They offer decent gear at a $99 and $199 price point which is manufactured in USA which is more expensive than moving the manufacturing to a random factory in China. From what I've heard they have a pretty decent customer support to.
Something has to give.. I for one can fully understand that free shipping is not a very viable option for them at this point, they are too small for that. I don't know their daily/weekly shipping volumes but I highly doubt they have high enough volume to be in a strong negotiation position when trying to get better prices from their preferred parcel service.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Same here in the Netherlands.
Most of the retailers don't charge shipping costs. Ordered a basic USB cable for €5 and got is shipped for free and received it the next day.

We have to stay/be realistic though when it comes to Schiit.
They offer decent gear at a $99 and $199 price point which is manufactured in USA which is more expensive than moving the manufacturing to a random factory in China. From what I've heard they have a pretty decent customer support to.
Something has to give.. I for one can fully understand that free shipping is not a very viable option for them at this point, they are too small for that. I don't know their daily/weekly shipping volumes but I highly doubt they have high enough volume to be in a strong negotiation position when trying to get better prices from their preferred parcel service.
This.

My Topping stack is better... The Jotunheim is damn close at half the price. Something has to give.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 13
This.

My Topping stack is better... The Jotunheim is damn close at half the price. Something has to give.
hey you mean A90/D9 stack you have from topping? And what do you think, what is your experience about topping vs shiit. I am finding very different opinions. Some say shiit is best thing in the world, and topping is no comparison in sound , only good measurement. For example i hear their asgard 3 best for such planars as Sunadara. I have full d50S/A50S/P50 stack from topping and dont know if asgard is and upgrade. IMO my topping stack is really wonderfull from technical side for my planars.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 13
hey you mean A90/D9 stack you have from topping? And what do you think, what is your experience about topping vs shiit. I am finding very different opinions. Some say shiit is best thing in the world, and topping is no comparison in sound , only good measurement. For example i hear their asgard 3 best for such planars as Sunadara. I have full d50S/A50S/P50 stack from topping and dont know if asgard is and upgrade. IMO my topping stack is really wonderfull from technical side for my planars.

Honestly, there's not a big enough difference in sound quality to justify the price difference on that alone. The D90's extra features (remote control and extra inputs) mean it can replace the DAC in my stereo system at some point, so I'll probably sell the Joy as I really don't need multiple dedicated headphone "systems". As a dedicated all in one it's great though, and I did consider selling the DAC card and getting a Bifrost before settling on the A90/D90.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 13

Yes man I think you are concerned. I was at Schiit head quarters and realized that it would be cheaper to ship to my house in OR then pay cali sales tax. To complain about Schiit business practices is just troll BS. They are the most up front and clear about costs and production. They aren't perfect but I don't really know of any company that is more out there with why they do things.

I didn't need the juice of the Asgard 3 but the ergonomics of the thing are great. I did the up grade to the unison USB card and I am very happy with my all in one. Sometimes I wish it had optical input and didn't run quite so warm in the summertime but I love the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back