Top Tier IEM/Customs and HP Out of ...
May 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
Which single DAP would you choose?

Feel free to elaborate on the reason(s) of your choice.

May 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 36
If money and size wasn't an issue the hifiman will obviously perform the best because it's closer to a home rig than the others which are just what they are - portable (though S-Flo:2 would win among the rest probably)

May 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 36

I'm actually comtemplating the purchase of a S:flo2.

Quote:
If money and size wasn't an issue the hifiman will obviously perform the best because it's closer to a home rig than the others which are just what they are - portable (though S-Flo:2 would win among the rest probably)

May 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 36

My customs are scheduled to arrive at latest next week.  First two DAPs I'm anxious to try are the NW-X1060 and NW-A847.

Quote:
Sony - FTW!!!

May 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 36
I chose Sony also! They make great players :)

With the price of the HiFi man... I would rather have a Sony player via Lineout to an amp such as the Arrow or Protector and be done...

May 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 36
Voted for HiFiMan. Not because the amp part might be all that much better than the amp part of some of the other entrants but because what comes before the amp is clearly superior to just about anything else

May 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 36
Well, if it's free then the HM-801. Then if I don't like it I can sell it and buy one of all of the others.

If I have to pay for it, then for the time being I'd stick with a SanDisk or Cowon.

May 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 36
I voted (against my best judgement) Fuze. I don't think it sounds 'better' than my other players, but it has more to offer. The Apple and Sony sound 'better' in some ways: smoother, and in the case of the Apple, less hiss. But, the Fuze has one thing in its favour: rockbox. And, it performs much better with hard to drive iems than any Sony, Cowon, Apple, etc. I DO not like the Fuze without rockbox however. It is rubbish, has rubbish code support, stupid controls, a stupid light, and pretentious marketing.

The S:Flo also drives iems very nicely, but unless firmware is fixed, I'd stay away. Lacking gapless playback is huge.

With sensitive iems, a DAP that hisses is hard to manage. So, ixnay on the Sony (unless you don't mind the sound of wind). Cowon don't hiss too badly, but they have pretty shoddy lowΩ peformance, with compressed stereo images and audibly boomy bass. I sold mine because of those two reasons. 

If the Fuze was as 'smooth' as the iPod or Sony, I'd love it. As it is, it stays because of Rockbox. 

May 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 36
Any Sony in particular?

Quote:
I chose Sony also! They make great players :)

With the price of the HiFi man... I would rather have a Sony player via Lineout to an amp such as the Arrow or Protector and be done...

I missed the opportunity to try the HiFiMan early May.  There were several units right in front of me at a show, but was suprised that no one took interest.

Quote:
Voted for HiFiMan. Not because the amp part might be all that much better than the amp part of some of the other entrants but because what comes before the amp is clearly superior to just about anything else

I think I like your train of thought.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Well, if it's free then the HM-801. Then if I don't like it I can sell it and buy one of all of the others.

shigzeo,
I wish I had ears like you.  Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out (if I can't hear the hiss, then maybe I can't hear other things as well).

Quote:
I voted (against my best judgement) Fuze. I don't think it sounds 'better' than my other players, but it has more to offer. The Apple and Sony sound 'better' in some ways: smoother, and in the case of the Apple, less hiss. But, the Fuze has one thing in its favour: rockbox. And, it performs much better with hard to drive iems than any Sony, Cowon, Apple, etc. I DO not like the Fuze without rockbox however. It is rubbish, has rubbish code support, stupid controls, a stupid light, and pretentious marketing.

The S:Flo also drives iems very nicely, but unless firmware is fixed, I'd stay away. Lacking gapless playback is huge.

With sensitive iems, a DAP that hisses is hard to manage. So, ixnay on the Sony (unless you don't mind the sound of wind). Cowon don't hiss too badly, but they have pretty shoddy lowΩ peformance, with compressed stereo images and audibly boomy bass. I sold mine because of those two reasons. 

If the Fuze was as 'smooth' as the iPod or Sony, I'd love it. As it is, it stays because of Rockbox. 

May 18, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
Sony - FTW!!!

+1
beyersmile.png

I like the sound quality of Sony players with RE0.  Doesn't need an external amp.  Their internal amp seems to perform very well if used with IEMs.  Very compact in size, pretty amazing really.  Sound quality to size, its really great. 

May 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 36
Any Sony in particular?

Quote:
+1
beyersmile.png

I like the sound quality of Sony players with RE0.  Doesn't need an external amp.  Their internal amp seems to perform very well if used with IEMs.  Very compact in size, pretty amazing really.  Sound quality to size, its really great. 

May 18, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:
Any Sony in particular?

I have X1051, and I am satisfied with it.  Even S636F is outputs very good sound, but X1051 is slightly better interms of sound stage.  But, S636F is very compact, very portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back