Top Tier Earphone Comparison - TF10, IE8, UM3X, SE530, OK1
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

mvw2

Headphoneus Supremus
IEM%20Comparison.jpg

I've been testing out a few new earphones recently...
tongue.gif

I'll be updating my big freaking review thread (Linky) as I play with and work through these earphones.

Teaser: Two key attributes -
- UM3X : dynamics, understands the meaning of subtlety
- TF10 : refinement, balance
- IE8 : bass, spacious
- SE530 : midrange, delicacy
- OK1 : energy, upbeat

Amp: Meier Corda 2Move
- Frankly, a strong amp is something everyone should have. It's just a shame the pricing of some of these things. The DAC is nice too for a crystal clear signal with no discernible noise floor, a very nice thing when you're running some of these very sensitive earphones. Some of these earphones really will soak up the juice too. The OK1 is a big one that likes the wattage. The IE8 is also pretty hungry despite the low ohm load. Even something as sensitive as the UM3X still improves a bit on the bottom end with a good amp. Mantra - You can never have too much overhead. You can only screw yourself over by not having enough.

Ok, now that I have the selection that I wanted to go through, I'm going to spend a little time and try and differentiate each relative to a wide array of characteristics. I'll define the context of some of my terms as I tend to use words slightly differently then some. I may break it down into an Excel spreadsheet and some form of scaling and short desciption. I'm not sure. I feel the TF10, IE8, SE530, and UM3X (minus W3, sorry) represent the main body of top end universals, so a resource of comparison might be useful for those who might be seeking these products but don't themselves want to try out every one. I intend to add to my linked review thread as I go along too, but I kind of want to build up a little spreadsheet to compare various attributes directly against each other. I'll note that the sound presentation of each of these IEMs is quite different from each other, each really offering their own flavor. A lot of your personal decision will be more personal preference then anything else. I hope the spreadsheet will make comparison a bit more painless, and you can focus on the specific characteristics that you deem important.

Update:

Frequency response graph, post 23.

Listening Notes, post 33.

Reviews, post 34.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 64
Sounds quite interesting, you sure bought a lot of IEMs recently.
wink.gif

Will be following your reviews.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 64
I see you don't like the OK1 with the canal phone adapter in place? I've always been curious about them with that screw on piece. Is it not as effective of an earphone that way? Looking forward to your jumbo comparison, as I've gone through several of those same earphones. My favorite of the ones you have coming up in the review is the IE8.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 64
Idk... I wouldn't say the UM3X are really that dynamic sounding. I'd attribute Versatility, Balance and Articulation to them. And yea, the IE8s aren't balanced by any means.

I look forward to your full review nonetheless
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 64
I say balanced in a much broader spectrum, overall presentation if you will. Yes, they do have a midbass hump.

I may use the term dynamics different then you. Dynamics to me is breadth of volume range. A very dynamic headphone is one that can both portray complete silence and very high energy effortlessly.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say balanced in a much broader spectrum, overall presentation if you will. Yes, they do have a midbass hump.

I may use the term dynamics different then you. Dynamics to me is breadth of volume range. A very dynamic headphone is one that can both portray complete silence and very high energy effortlessly.

Ah right. Well I find the overall presentation of the IE8s highly song dependent. Typically the less bass guitar (i.e. continuous bass) the better but hip hop and electronic is done well with snappy bass drum thumps.

I find the UM3X does quiet music and certain high energy genres well but not so great on stuff like rock but I'm just nit-picking. Idk, it lacks a certain body in the sound for some tracks. Still very listenable.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 64
Oh if you can, mvw2, give the UM3X a bit of treble if you have an EQ. It really brings them to life unbelievably. Also use the long comply tips (perhaps cut down a bit) not the short ones as I see you have.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 64
Hey mvw2 I really look forward to this. Perhaps my preferences may deviate from yours but your posts are always so damn informative haha, that a relative novice like myself read with keen interest.

By the way my favorite of the bunch you have there is of course the IE8 hahaha. Most folks seem to think they're bass head phones with a mid bass hump. I don't think they're necessarily bass head phones but they do exhibit some mid bass emphasis particularly when you try to ram them deep in the ear canals in an effort to find that 'seal'. However, I've always maintained that the design of the IE8 allows you to give them a shallow insertion depth with no degradation in SQ. In fact I think it improves them. I 'd like to know your thoughts on this because when I did that the IE8 had similar amounts of bass quantity to my ER4P but with a more bass impact and extended treble.

I'm also intrigued by the OK1 and like to know what about it that makes it more realistic over the other phones. Take your time in responding mate. No rush haha

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 64
I'll put it this way. The OK1 is the only headphone I've ever used that can fool me into believing the audio I'm hearing is happening in real life, like some sound effect, talking, whatever. The OK1 isn't the flattest in response in this bunch. It's actually a little bright. However, it does several key things that seem to make it believable. It has a pretty linear dynamic range, great transparency, and great clarity of note. You don't get attracted to the bud itself as it's playing music. The stage starts in the head, but it extends without a perceivable end, it's like daydreaming for ears.

Quick comments as I listen and switch back and forth between these earphones:

IE8 - BIG space. The size you get from these is great, and you have a nice, outside of the head experience. I do think the less then flat frequency response does ruin what could be an awesome stage space. A skewed frequency response can skew the shape of this space. Some EQing could even out everything and give a more linear presentation. Also, there's only around 30 hours on this earphone so far, so I expect it to open up just a little bit more. I see potential, but the coloration gets in the way for me. The driver itself seems to be broadly capable where you can both get good depth and top end detail. It's just not as even across the spectrum as it maybe should be. With some music, it sounds good. With other music, it's just a little off. I'm going to give these more time to burn in and play with some EQing. I just got these earphones, so my impressions are very, very initial.

UM3X - This earphone keeps impressing me. The one thing it keeps doing as I listen to a variety of music and switch from other earphones to it is that it points out little details in the music that I don't hear with other earphones. I always keep hearing new pieces of music that I haven't noticed before. It's a tribute to the dynamic breadth of this earphone and sense of space in the stage presentation. I'll make a note for any UM3X users, the stock foam tip is a very bad choice for this earphone. It has this midbass hump that it adds and it sucks out a sizable portion of the highs and even some upper midrange. Switch to another tip immediately or these will really sound weird. These earphones remind me a lot of my OK1 buds. I sort of view them as the warmer version of my OK1s.

Triple.Fi 10 - I keep going back to these and view them just like I did with the ER4S. Balance, balance, balance. The frequency response is flat. The dynamic range is linear. It lacks some of the dynamic breadth really needed to make it stand out though, more of a laid back presentation then some of the other earphones here, and this does make it suffer some in terms of overall presentation. You really do need that bottomless and effortless energy to really recreate a big presentation. The treble is outstanding with this earphone, extending up very high, and without a perceivable limit. The low end is a little subtle for some, but it sounds full and extended. It does come down to fit a whole lot though. You need a good, tight seal to get the low end response and fit is a sticky issue with these with it's large body that quickly runs into the ear somewhere any way you try to insert the tip. A larger diameter, well conforming tip works better, or a long tip if you can find one that'll fit, just to hold the body out a little bit and allow for more insertion depth. Outside of fit, these are the most pleasant to listen to earphones of the bunch, non-fatiguing, even with some of the most extended highs of the bunch.

SA6 - I just picked these up to play with. It's an earphone that I always wanted to try out. It's not a bad IEM, a little outside of this field of top end IEMs, but for a midrange product, it fairs well. I initially went straight to Shure Olive tips. I was a little put off by the frequency response it had. I played with tips and got better results, but it never felt in its element. I ended up going back to the stock tips and primarily the small one. Then I shoved the sucker as far in my ear as possible. These really seem geared mainly for deep insertion, sort of like you'd have with any other IEM product running those tiny, black single flange tips. The stock tips end right at the end of the nozzle, and it seems acoustically geared for this. After I started listening to them this way, everything changed. The response evened out, and turned from awkward to fun. I ended up using no nozzle filter (treble++) and no rear adjuster, making it more IB then enclosure which offers a flatter, and well extended bass response(think bass++). With the deep insertion, overall presentation is warm and bassy(with a good seal). The best way I can describe it is is it's a better version of the V-Moda Vibe. You get a similar warm presentation, bassy response, but it fixes the muddiness of the Vibe and gives a cleaner, more detailed and articulate version. It really doesn't match these other earphones, but at a mid level price, they fit well, and the tuning really works well. I'd love to see a 2-way or 3-way universal from them following the same adjustment matra. I'd be really curious to see what they could do.

OK1 - I've had these the longest and are the best buds I've ever owned. Even after listening to these top tier IEMs, I can keep coming back to this bud and realize how truely good the OK1 is at reproduction. It does so many things so right, and it's very well balanced, great dynamic breadth and air, frequency response range, separation and locational cues. It's just a lot of good qualities rolled into one, small package. It's not perfect of course. It's a slightly bright and the treble can be a little harsh/sibilant with some music due to the higher frequency focus. Bass is good with these but not subwoofer extended. There's a good sense of warmth, bass note and impact energy. You hear most of the bass notes, but you're not going to get a full, reverberating experience. Instead is it clean and crisp and energetic and just strong enough relative to the mids and highs to not have the earphone sound anemic. The midrange and treble will impress over and over again, great air, sparkle, energy, and even the bass will impress with great energy, cleanliness, and speed.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 64
I now have the SE530.
icon10.gif

Initial impressions...

I likey.
tongue.gif
They do certain things better then the others, and I see why people think well of their midrange. There's a certain delicacy to the sound, cleanliness, speed. They remind me somewhat of the PFE in terms of the clean, spaced notes but isn't as energetic, edgy with the notes like the PFE. Stage presence is really good, location, space, etc. These are definitely likable earphones. The build quality and everything reminds me a lot of the IE8, lots of high brow flash with the metal case, and extra "value" bits. I do like the construction, slightly industrial like Etymotic but clean and a little softer in feel and finish. It's funny how companies like Sennheiser and Shure add "value" via pretty accessories. It's half nice but also half a shame since you're really paying for it in the end anyways. Pretty is nice, but you're always paying for it.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back