Top American manufacturers?
Jun 15, 2003 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everybody! I will behave nicely from now on!
tongue.gif

Out of sheer curiosity and to show, once again, my noobiness, who are the top American manufacturers that make sources like CDPs, SACDPs, etc.? I am a very proud American and I have been that way ever since I immigrated to this great country twenty one years ago. So, I figured that my next upgrade come my college graduation in May 2004 will be a top American owned & made, high resolution "universal" source. Thank you.

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 37
No, but I would prefer that it would be an American company with its headquarters within the Continental US, Alaska, or Hawaii. After all, I know that I will get myself a graduation gift -- probably a new source as my readings here on Head-Fi and throughout the Internet have suggested that the source should be the most significant investment in the chain that binds my audio gear together -- so why not consider an Red, White, and Blue audio company?

Jun 15, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 37
Thanks for the lists...keep 'em coming!

Anyone heard if the above listed American manufacturers are planning on releasing a high resolution "universal" source come either May / August 2004?

Jun 16, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 37
-Wadia
-Audio Research
-Krell
-McCormack. I don't no anything about there universal player, but every amp and pre-amp I've listened to are very good.

Jun 16, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 37
"Anyone heard if the above listed American manufacturers are planning on releasing a high resolution "universal" source come either May / August 2004?"

Bel Canto is releasing their universal player, with built in DAC2, in the fall of this year. it will be very pricey though.

Bel Canto is about a half hour away from me in White Bear Lake, MN, i've driven by their headquarters
biggrin.gif

Magnapan is right by me too.

Jun 16, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by dustinyo
Bel Canto is releasing their universal player, with built in DAC2, in the fall of this year. it will be very pricey though.

Its redbook playback should actually be good since its analogue output section has been beefed up than current DAC2.
wink.gif

I've heard one at CES this year and sounded promissing.

Jun 16, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by omer
Also, to my knowledge, Cary is NOT assembled in China.

The DSP and transformer in my 303/200 are labeled "Made in USA", but the manual has a sticker on it that says "Assembled in Hong Kong" (on the page with a drawing of the back panel). Apparently this text hasn't made it to the chassis yet.

Jun 16, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 37
McIntosh Lab hasn't been an American company for the past 10 years or so since its parent company was Clarion of car audio fame. Recently, McIntosh was acquired by D&M Holding Co., the parent company of Denon and Marantz. I believe D&M is a Japanese company.

Jun 16, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 37
yes, D&M Holdings, owner's of the Denon and Marantz brands, and now Mac, are based in Japan, however, all design and manufacture of Mac gear will remain a separate entity, and to my knowledge, is still made in the US. June's issue of Stereophile had a writeup about this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back