Top Albums of 2009
Dec 21, 2009 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

smrtby123

100+ Head-Fier
So looking over the various top lists of '09 (Spin, RS, Pitchfork, etc) I have to say I am dissapointed by all of them. Lots of albums that don't deserve the top 100 let alone top 10. RS making U2 #1 of 09? Give me a break. Thoughts?

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 22
RS is horribly mainstream-ified and Pitchfork is pretty heavily biased and limited to indie/alt.

Far more reliable lists:

Top Albums of 2009 - Rate Your Music
Sputnikmusic - Charts

There's stuff I disagree with here, but at least when it's based on aggregated user reviews/ratings across a good variety of genres, I can put it down to opinion.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 22
Different taste, different ranking. Not much more to say...

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 22
There was nothing surprising about the Pitchfork or Rolling Stone lists, or any other I've seen, you have to know going in what the biases are and approach them accordingly.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 22
I had seen the other threads, but I was mainly focused on the end-of-year lists that are put out. '08 I thought the top lists were pretty good, but this year they seem to be all over the place, with lots of albums I had heard no buzz on being in the top 10. There was a much larger pool to choose from this year than last year, I will say that.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had seen the other threads, but I was mainly focused on the end-of-year lists that are put out.

yeah, this makes sense for a good thread.
glad DeusEx linked the other personal list thread early on.

in terms of lists, I am surprised Wavves isn't turning up on more lists. They aren't even on the pitchfork list at all right?
Two solid albums, Wavves and Wavvves, plus it annoys me when a band goes so quickly from media favorite to forgotten and discarded.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two solid albums, Wavves and Wavvves, plus it annoys me when a band goes so quickly from media favorite to forgotten and discarded.

It is amazing how good pitchfork seems to be at doing that on their own.

I keep thinking this is going to happen to Bradford Cox sometime soon. Pitchfork absolutely worships this guy, and they have been worshiping him for a while now. If they follow their own trend, it is about time to try to make him crash and burn.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the lists-

I thought Pitchfork was worse than usual, especially towards the bottom- there were some ridiculous omissions. Rolling Stone's year end list is always pretty silly, but I thought the decade list was kind of cool if only for the way they did it.

This is my favorite list this year though-

The least essential albums of 2009 | Music | Best of | The A.V. Club

LOL, good read, I almost feel like sampling some of those out of sheer curiosity.

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 22
About this time every year, list haze sets in for me, as all the selections begin to clump together. Take the top 50 popular albums or so, place in the centrifuge, then press the button.

Well save The Animal Collective - one of the more universal top selections? I didn't think it was a particularly strong year for new music. Many of the trends seem played out.

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About this time every year, list haze sets in for me, as all the selections begin to clump together. Take the top 50 popular albums or so, place in the centrifuge, then press the button.

Well save The Animal Collective - one of the more universal top selections? I didn't think it was a particularly strong year for new music. Many of the trends seem played out.

I think there a lot of strong new stuff so it was hard to pick a real favorite, but this was a year for already established bands (Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, Flaming Lips). I have seen lately that a lot of the bands getting hype are older but put out an album people are drawn to (Phoenix, etc). I do think that AC:MWPP deserved the top but It's Blitz was much higher on a lot of lists than I expected. It was great but in the top 5? Fever Ray and Neko Case were both big ones that I couldn't get through when I tried to listen.

Anyone else angry that The Decemberists: Hazards of Love was passed over for almost every list? I absolutely love this album and it would be 2 or 3 on my own top list, but everyone loved to hate on it for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back