Top 2006 albums
Sep 16, 2006 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 183

Vic

500+ Head-Fier
Please list the top 5, or 10, or 15, 20, 50 published so far in 2006.
You can add further posts and update your list when you find another album worthy of entering.
Then you can place your final 2006 list at the end of the year. I don't know if that has been done in another thread, but have not found one.

My top 10 so far:

1TV on the radio Return to the cookie mountain
2Cat Power The greatest
3Regina Spector Begin to hope
4Howe Gelb snow angel like you
5Guillemots Through The Windowpane
6Arctic Monkeys Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
7Alejandro Escovedo The boxing mirror
8Neko Case Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
9Ron Sexsmith Time being
10Springsteen We shall overcome

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 183
My Top 5 So Far:

Neko Case- "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
Tool- "10,000 Days"
Yo La Tengo- "I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass"
M. Ward- "Post-War"
David Thomas Broughton- "The Complete Guide to Insufficiency"

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 183
1. UneXpect - In A Flesh Aquarium
2. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (Agalloch combine their old Folk/Doom Metal sound with a bit of Post Rock, and manage to keep the feel of their older albums while taking a forward step)
3. Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale (Mammoth Funeral Doom Metal release)
4. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death (Their best album since '88)
5. To-Mera - Transcendental (Fantastic new Progressive Metal)
6. The Gathering - Home (The Gathering create yet another challenging atmospheric rock album, albeit quite, quite different from their other ones)
7. Madder Mortem - Desiderata (Their best album so far, always improving their Avante Metal sound)
8. Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die (Not their best, heavier too, good Melodic Doom Metal)
9. Dylath-Leen - Insecure (Fantastic new band, Atmospheric Death metal with a female vocalist)
10. Distorted - Memorial (great new Israeli Melodic Death metal band with death & female vocals)
11. Edenbridge - The Grand Design (Their best effort to date, nice to see their moving forward too)
12. Ava Inferi - Burdens (Brilliant Gothic/Doom that is quite different from the normal attire of the genre)
13. Tenhi - Maaäet (excellent Neofolk music)
14. Draconian - The Burning Halo (Their worst release so far, bad idea to re-release older songs that aren't quite acclaimed to the sound of their newer stuff and cover 70's rock songs on the same album)

Still a few to come, I know a few releases that have been delayed until Jan 2007 (Virgin Black, Tristania)

Am still waiting on the release of Elend - A World in their Screams, Todesbonden - Ghost of a Crescent Moon, Ebony Ark - Decoder 2.0, VAST - April etc

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 183
Is it EVER too early for top album lists!
wink.gif
We're about to hit the serious music section of the year, so I imagine these will be pretty fluid.

My top five AS OF NOW:

1.The Knife - "Silent Shout" - a work of sheer greatness. It is rare for electro pop to challege while maintaining such a sexy groove. I love this work so much, it is already secure in MY top of the decade.

2. Muse - "Black Holes and Revelations - a big album, and I love big albums. "Take a Bow" and "Knights of Cydonia" are epic bookends. This is the kind of music that makes me want to go really live life.

3. White Rose Movment - "Kick" - this one hasn't made it to the states. Apparently it spawned some hits in the U.K. Dirty, derivitive New Romantic electro sex rock. This may be a guilty pleasure for many, but I exhalt in the camp.

4. Matmos - The Rose has Teeth in the Mouth of the Beast - listen to a couple times for the sweet samples with tinker toy sounds. Keep listening and a great beat settles in - a deep rewarding album.

5. The Black Heart Procession - "The Spell" - in some altered reality where hearse's are hugo's, TBH make this tight, upbeat (for them!) work.

In the "huh" category...Thommy Yorke noodles and noodles some more, Tool does even more noodling, and the Still's try to do it better than the Boss and fall on their face.

So far 06 has me thinking the current cacophony indie pop is stale, and my faith in electronic music may be returning.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 183
Kind of early for me since a bunch of my favorite artists have new ones ready to hit the shelves in the next few weeks, and I expect one or more of them to be on the top at the end of the year, and to be honest I haven't heard much good new music this year, but the one I've been listening to over and over recently is the new Wovenhand "Mosaic". Really loving that dark and spiritual sound. Almost sinister at times. Don't know how many spins so far since it's so intoxicating, but probably a bunch. Has much more of a Joy Division sound than in the past. But with that medieval folk sound that weaves throughout early Dead Can Dance music. A heavy dose of that good ol Nick Cave southern gothic. It does sound like a full band on this one, even though it's usually just David Eugene Edwards on guitar and/or banjo and voice and an understated drummer, with piano/organ and/or strings on a lot of it. Another nice sounding one too, at least for a modern job, recorded, mixed and mastered by Robert Ferbrache up at his studio in Elktooth, CO. Be fun to have a recording studio and work with a lot of your favorite artists, hearing them and the recordings in a more natural state before they get all punched up for CD release. I think Ferbrache used to play some lap-steel with Edwards' old band, 16 Horsepower. Anyway, always a caution that it is very passionate music, and his religious fervor can get almost overwhelming at times, but he brings it all on this one, and I love it so far. Nice review at ... http://lostatsea.net/review.phtml?id...744f8781abcaad

Some others up there right now are ...

Black Heart Procession - The Spell
Howe Gelb - 'Sno Angel Like You
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
Built To Spill - You In Reverse
Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3 - ...tick...tick...tick (2005 in EU)

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 183
Right now it's a toss-up between Neko Case's Fox Confessor Brings the Flood & Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain. I'm not sure I could pick between the two even if I wanted to.

Honorable mention would have to go to Pretty Girls Make Graves' Elan Vital, Emilie Autumn's Opheliac & Nellie McKay's now-shelved Pretty Little Head.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 183
lets get rid of the obivous : Tool - 10,000 days .

Iron Maiden - A Matter of life and death
Stream Of Passion - Embrace The Storm ( another successfull project from ayreon , looking forward for future releases )
Distorted - Memorial ( a promising band from my homecountry
biggrin.gif
)
Communic - Waves of Visual Decay ( a very nice prog metal band )
Sylvan - Posthumous Silence ( Prog Rock )

It's been a good year for music IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back