Tool Ænima: happy 10th anniversary!
Oct 2, 2006 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a salute to one of my desert island discs Tool's Ænima.

Toolaenima19963.jpg

"It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

Tool-StinkfistCover.jpg

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah!
wink.gif

I didn't have anything to say about this (personal) masterpiece but I just couldn't let the date pass without saying something. And be back for the 20th anniversary!

Come to think of it, I do have something to say. I'm horrified by the vinyl price this goes for on ebay! Hundreds of dollars!
mad.gif

What would it take to get this master-tape over to RTI and into the hands of Kevin Gray/ Steve Hoffman? I think the whole catalogue deserves the 180 gram box set service. A CD remastering (SACD/DVD-A/Bluray?) is a long shot.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Yeah!
wink.gif

I didn't have anything to say about this (personal) masterpiece but I just couldn't let the date pass without saying something. And be back for the 20th anniversary!

Come to think of it, I do have something to say. I'm horrified by the vinyl price this goes for on ebay! Hundreds of dollars!
mad.gif

What would it take to get this master-tape over to RTI and into the hands of Kevin Gray/ Steve Hoffman? I think the whole catalogue deserves the 180 gram box set service. A CD remastering (SACD/DVD-A/Bluray?) is a long shot.

agreed, are the vinyl pressings really that much better than the CDs, or is just for collectability? i paid over $100 for the DVD Salival Box a few years ago but it was worth it for the content not just the sake of having it.

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
A wonderful TOOL ablum indeed, enjoying it much even post 10 years
cool.gif

There have been long stretches of time where I didn't listen to it but when I would, it would really kick in. That isn't the fate of many records that I may have adored at one time. Ænima is my Led Zeppelin IV of the 1990's, a (personal) landmark
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
agreed, are the vinyl pressings really that much better than the CDs, or is just for collectability? i paid over $100 for the DVD Salival Box a few years ago but it was worth it for the content not just the sake of having it.

I have the 2 LP vinyl Undertow which, from what I've read, is supposed to be superior to the single LP Undertow. I prefer the CD to the LP. The LP is a bit noisy and doesn't offer any real improvement. IMO the CD's of Undertow and Ænima are excellent; low volume, major dynamics. Ænima's intended distortions (I think) trick some into thinking there's a lack of fidelity. I also have Opiate on vinyl but can't remember what it sounds like.

By coincidence I picked up Lateralus just last Sunday. I hadn't bothered due to it being a picture disc (fidelity not the priority) and the price. I happened to see a bunch at a local shop for $20 and what the hell, why not. I don't know what it sounds like yet as I recently moved and only unboxed my TT today. I am curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Weird.
I just popped this disc in today and was searching for any discussion of clipping. My car speakers usually do a pretty good job, but they can't handle the low ends on this. I have to turn the bass down into the negative #s to eliminate distortion (I think I know where it's supposed to sound distorted).
Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back