Took the plunge HD 280 Pro
Mar 8, 2002 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

blr

500+ Head-Fier
Well, the tittle tells it all. Just grebbed a pair today.
My very first impressions straight out of the box are quite positive.
The phones are rugged despite the all plastic construction, and the build quality is good.
Notice: THE CORD IS ACTUALLY REPLACABLE!!! For all of you HD 280 owners check your owners manual. There is a detailled instruction how to replace the cord. You have to (sort of) open the left earpiece where the cord is connected, but apparently not soldered.

Soundwize, these are not broken in yet and I've listened for no more than an hour, so I expect this to change somewhat. So far these are rather on the bright side without being harsh at all. Perhaps analytical is a word that can explain it too. Mind that these are monitors after all. The treble is very clean and clear with tons of details. The midrange is smooth. Vocals sound great. The bass goes deep, very deep (even though I'm driving them from my PMDP). I expect the sound to mallow a bit. One thing made me an impression was that these are rather revealing for poor recordings. Again very welcome for monitoring/mixing applications.
I'll give them a good 30-40 hours break in and then I'll post a longer review. I'm thinking of comparing them to DT250-80 that a friend has. So, expect the big battle of the German pro monitors DT250 vs HD280.

Mar 8, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

I'll give them a good 30-40 hours break in and then I'll post a longer review. I'm thinking of comparing them to DT250-80 that a friend has. So, expect the big battle of the German pro monitors DT250 vs HD280.

Great! That's going to be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back