Too good to be true? E-Bay Scam or not?
Oct 26, 2007 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, like the many other ebay posts around here, I need your guys help... this guy is willing to sell 2 new HD650s for $250... but it seems kinda fishy... here is the emails he sent me after i bid (for fun) on a pair of HD650 and lost:

I have for sale this item:
Sennheiser HD 650 HD650 Headphones Headset Reference -- Item number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The item is brand new in box and an international warranty of one year. My price for the item is US$150 and if you want 2 items the price will be 250$ shipping included. If you are interested just give me a fast reply on this email address. I want a safe deal only through ebay.
Thank you

and the next one:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I must tell you that now I'm in Greece with business but this is not a problem because you will receive the item in maximum 48 hours. I will provide you 10 days money back guarantee, no questions asked. That means within 10 working days you decide if you don't want to keep the item.

So, if you are really interested, now all you have to do is to send me exactly those info:

First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Price + Shipping: 1 item = US $150.00
Price + Shipping: 2 items = US $250.00

I need the details exactly like i have requested , because i have to forward the email to eBay. In short time, they will send you the invoice with all the details you need to complete the deal safe and fast for both of us,under ebay protection! I am dealing only thru eBay.

Thank you!!!

I cant find his email on the ebay feedback page either
plainface.gif

Is this a normal routine to buy directly from an ebay seller? HALPMEH

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 29
Definite scam. He's trying to make it look all safe and warm and fuzzy about putting everything through ebay, and yet he asks for your personal details via email. This is a classic phishing/ID theft scam, do NOT be a victim.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 29
A scam, after getting this info he will probably send you a invoice that will link to a nice looking screen where you enter CC info, or a fake paypal screen. Either way the purpose is to either steal your identity, or get your credit card info.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 29
ya thats what i thought... couldnt find his ebay ID, and i've bought stuff directly from ebay sellers before, and they never asked for anything other than my e-mail address.

too bad this IS too good to be true =(

time for me to play around with him now
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 29
jesus, what's the deal with folks around here being so dense? dude sends money to some guy of CRAIGSLIST, you think you can actually get a deal like this, come freakin on! wake up headfi

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jesus, what's the deal with folks around here being so dense? dude sends money to some guy of CRAIGSLIST, you think you can actually get a deal like this, come freakin on! wake up headfi

True.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 29
Your ebay account doesn't happen to be the same as your email does it? I had this issue and got tons of phishing emails like this, usually a couple everyday. Since I changed my userid I get a email like this once every 3-4 weeks.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 29
Yeah I have had similar issues when I tried to sell stuff in Amazon marketplace. This looks very similar to that email I received. Trying to convince you over and over that its genuine is the biggest give away of SCAM

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have to ask- you already know.

Mitch

x2.

and let's not forget "if it sounds too good to be true, blah, blah blah."

you get the point.
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 29
A few nuggets of wisdom I have acquired over the years:

If you have to make a post asking if an Ebay deal is a scam or not, then it most definitely IS a scam.

Every time you make an Ebay purchase, no matter how legit it seems, don't be surprised if it turns out to be a scam - and be prepared to deal with it.

If an Ebay seller sends you a very enthusiastic email that uses three or more exclamation points in the body of the email message, then it is a scam.

Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back