tomahawk with non-iems?
Jan 12, 2007 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
basically, im planning on buying a tomahawk after being displeased with the supermicro's battery life. i'm wondering if the tomahawk just has a smaller load to better accomodate IEMs, or if it is actually tuned to work with the drivers in most IEMs?

the reason i want to know is i might want to use some other low-impedence cans for portable use (hd25, grado sr80) but i'm not sure if the tomahawk would sound great with 'em. nothing over 80 ohms.

should i just bump up to the hornet? i'd rather have something that fits more perfectly with my nano, and i think a tomahawk + nano + micro dock is a pretty darn sexy looking rig.

so yeah. anyone tried em with grados/hd25s/770-80s?

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 21
I can't comment on battery life with cans that are not IEM's, however, I think the Tomahawk will be just fine with low impedence cans. It did a nice job with a pair of borrowed Qualias.

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 21
It sounds amazing with a set of SR80's, i demoed SR60's to the SR225's the other day and for the price vs sound quality i decided to get the SR80's.

I've not listened through my ety's once since i came home with the Grado pizza box
icon10.gif

353283306_fcf60aad4c.jpg

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 21
I am using the DT880 (05) with the Tomahawk and I have about 200hrs on the same batteries. So needless to say this is the least of my worries.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 21
Thelonious Monk, which Supermicro do you have? If it is a Supermicro IV how long ago did you receive it? I am asking to determine if it has all the tweaks, do you know?

Also how many hours of playtime are you getting with an alkaline AAA battery?

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds amazing with a set of SR80's, i demoed SR60's to the SR225's the other day and for the price vs sound quality i decided to get the SR80's.

I've not listened through my ety's once since i came home with the Grado pizza box
icon10.gif

I SO wish you had not posted that! My portable set up is my only decent set up (home is a mini shelf system) and I have recently been looking at some of the Grados. From the reading I have done it seemed like the 80 is a point of diminishing returns where the cost for improved sound begins to really increase. Knowing they pair well with the Tmohawk may just push me over the edge now!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 21
thanks for the advice guys, i'll probably be picking one up

i have the supermicro iv, and i get about 16 hours of battery life on AAAs. pretty great for the little guy, but i have other things that require AAAs too... batteries aren't free
frown.gif

200 hours on DT880s sounds great. my current can queue is new IEMs, DT770-80s, and HD25s, and it looks like it'll pair with 'em all fine.

thanks again for the help

edit: HAD the iv. i sold it so i could add some money to my disposable funds and fund my audio stuff.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris in mo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I SO wish you had not posted that!

Here's another one to convince you then
icon10.gif

353283401_0f5fc48486.jpg

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddystoner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the DT880 (05) with the Tomahawk and I have about 200hrs on the same batteries. So needless to say this is the least of my worries.

How many ohms do the DT880's (05) run at? I have a tomahawk and was wondering if it could handle 250ohm Darth Beyers.

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many ohms do the DT880's (05) run at? I have a tomahawk and was wondering if it could handle 250ohm Darth Beyers.

I believe the 880's are 250 ohms.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Yes mine are the DT880 (05) @ 250 ohm.

My experience has been fantastic with the Tomahawk. I also wanted to clarify when I posted 200hrs on the AAA's that I am still using them so it will be 200hr's plus for sure.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Yes mine are the DT880 (05) @ 250 ohm.

My experience has been fantastic with the Tomahawk. I also wanted to clarify when I posted 200hrs on the AAA's that I am still using them so it will be 200hr's plus for sure.

Does it have enough power to BUMP pretty well? Also, what gain do you have it set at, HI or LO? Lastly, have you tried the Hornet M with the DT880's at all?

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 21
I am not not sure what BUMP means. But if you mean deliver solid sound at high levels then yes it does. I have it set on the HI/gain although it will drive the DT880 on LOW/gain very well for those low level listening sessions.

Now my experience with headphone amps has started with the TH. I have never used another amp for headphones, so what is awsome to me may not be your cup of tea.

For HI/gain I usually listen at the 8-10 o'clock position (this is black for me until the 1-2 o'clock position)
For LOW/gain I will listen at the 9-12 o'clock position (this is completely black)

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

I am not not sure what BUMP means. But if you mean deliver solid sound at high levels then yes it does. I have it set on the HI/gain although it will drive the DT880 on LOW/gain very well for those low level listening sessions.

Now my experience with headphone amps has started with the TH. I have never used another amp for headphones, so what is awsome to me may not be your cup of tea.

Thanks, your reply is very much appreciated! I'm thinking of getting a pair of 250ohm cans and only have my TH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back