Today's ECM Playlist
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

PoSR77

500+ Head-Fier
A thread dedicated to the unique and often wondrous music of the ECM label.

So feel free to post what ECM music you are listening to today (or recently)!

No real specific thread rules here save one: No criticizing others' selections/no music snobbery! :unamused:

Descriptions and discussion of the music is allowed and even encouraged. :slight_smile:

(Though I'm far from an authority on this music/label, I have a respectable collection of CD's from it, acquired over the 15 or so years I've been listening to its releases, and I continue to regularly add to my collection. So I'll try to post in here fairly often as I listen to and expand my ECM discography).

If you are new to ECM, or want to explore its catalog more, this review site/database is recommended:

https://ecmreviews.com/about/

I'm going to start with a collection* of 3 classic releases from the 70's which I think are fairly representative of the label's sound/style (as much as any can be of the enigmatic, ineffable ECM output anyway!).

ezgif-2-593ab13cc6.jpg

ezgif-2-10e553f0e8.jpg

ezgif-2-985e29a5e2.jpg

*This is the collection in which I acquired these 3 albums: https://ecmrecords.com/product/dans...-jon-christensen-terje-rypdal-arild-andersen/

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 80
Nice thread and great records!

This is what I was listening to this evening, from the slightly more contemplative side of ECM. I had not known about this one until 2019, when Manfred Eicher did a big digital Hi-Res remaster re-release of previous vinyl only records. Winterreise was one of them:

1705979443034.png

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 80
Thanks Bob, and that one looks very interesting (my Schubert senses are tingling for one thing)! I think I missed it since it never came out on CD. I'm going to check it out, so thanks for the post!

I'm a fan of Peacock's bass playing, so here's one of his releases. It oscillates between fairly straight forward piano-and-bass-forward jazz and experimental jazz to create a collection that's traditional enough when you don't feel like something too "out there", but also different enough for when you want something that differs from more traditional jazz.

Folder (7).jpg

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 80
Thanks Bob, and that one looks very interesting (my Schubert senses are tingling for one thing)! I think I missed it since it never came out on CD. I'm going to check it out, so thanks for the post!

I'm a fan of Peacock's bass playing, so here's one of his releases. It oscillates between fairly straight forward piano-and-bass-forward jazz and experimental jazz to create a collection that's traditional enough when you don't feel like something too "out there", but also different enough for when you want something that differs from more traditional jazz.

That's a great record. Mr. Peacock's bass was a big part of ECM's catalog and he is sorely missed in the jazz world.

Art Lande is another great keyboard player and a record that comes to mind of his that I like is his collaboration with Mark Isham, We Begin, from 1987:

1706111679234.png

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 80
My ECM label albums are mainly from Pat Metheny...

Currently playing some Miles Davis so that's why you see him and the track playing :slight_smile:
The White Album was my gateway into ECM lo these many, many years ago! Pat's ECM albums are really special and just so timeless. Bright Size Life sounds as good now as it did decades ago.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 80
The White Album was my gateway into ECM lo these many, many years ago! Pat's ECM albums are really special and just so timeless. BSL sounds as good now as it did decades ago.
My introduction to Pat was First Circle, and Offramp. After that, I started collecting him. My Favorite Pat Metheny albums though are Still Life (Talking) and Secret Story; both on the Geffen label. Strictly ECM - First Circle, Works.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 80
PoSR77--Here's one you probably know:

1706120607409.png

This is the first Gary Peacock that I bought and one of the first CD's I ever owned. The entire record is like one big, living space of sound and silence. Jan Erik Kongshaug of Rainbow Studios really got the sound right in this early digital outing and the fine sound of the compact disc was kind of a rarity for me as my ears were still missing the analog beauty of ECM's pristine vinyl. Still sounds good on my circa '89 Denon CD player (when I can get the drawer to open...).

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 80
My ECM label albums are mainly from Pat Metheny...Pat Metheny Collection.jpg

Currently playing some Miles Davis so that's why you see him and the track playing :slight_smile:

A nice collection. :thumbsup: Hard to go wrong with him!

That's a great record. Mr. Peacock's bass was a big part of ECM's catalog and he is sorely missed in the jazz world.

Art Lande is another great keyboard player and a record that comes to mind of his that I like is his collaboration with Mark Isham, We Begin, from 1987:

1706111679234.png

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't have much Lande in my collection, so I'll check that out for sure.

PoSR77--Here's one you probably know:

1706120607409.png

This is the first Gary Peacock that I bought and one of the first CD's I ever owned. The entire record is like one big, living space of sound and silence. Jan Erik Kongshaug of Rainbow Studios really got the sound right in this early digital outing and the fine sound of the compact disc was kind of a rarity for me as my ears were still missing the analog beauty of ECM's pristine vinyl. Still sounds good on my circa '89 Denon CD player (when I can get the drawer to open...).

Oh yea, a nice one for sure. :thumbsup:

Something very recent I find an interesting listen. Definitely leans towards the minimalist/avant garde side. Very dark, even stark, sounding session. Bass often hits hard with good rumble which is fun.

folder (6).jpg

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 80
A nice collection. :thumbsup: Hard to go wrong with him!

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't have much Lande in my collection, so I'll check that out for sure.

Oh yea, a nice one for sure. :thumbsup:

Something very recent I find an interesting listen. Definitely leans towards the minimalist/avant garde side. Very dark, even stark, sounding session. Bass often hits hard with good rumble which is fun.

Yes, Ayumi Tanaka is very interesting indeed. I think I have this one in Tidal and I think I had another one of hers called Memento on AMP Music and it's on Tidal streaming too. It's a little more accessible than her ECM outings which are more minimalist. Her use of silence and space is wonderful though and the production is stellar.

I have a set of headphones---SIVGA SV021-- that, if nothing else, are like bass catchers (for lack of a better descriptor) and I noticed exactly what you mentioned about the bass--it must be intentional, maybe utilizing subwoofers in production but man do they ever get that super low bass in her recordings, which is a valuable and very much music-enhancing thing when you're recording all acoustic instruments in a quiet soundstage. Check out Memento, especially if you have a set of cans that do acoustic instruments well.

EDIT: Wanted to add that Thomas Strønen's ECM recordings are real bass rumblers (drums/percussion) too.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 80
Wow Bob, I think you should have started this thread! I think your collection and knowledge of this material puts mine to shame! :smile:

Here's a classic, and true watermark. Genre defying to me (even if it's headed under "minimalism" or "classical").

music-for-18-musicians-64c7e7febaa46.jpg

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 80
Wow Bob, I think you should have started this thread! I think your collection and knowledge of this material puts mine to shame! :smile:

Here's a classic, and true watermark. Genre defying to me (even if it's headed under "minimalism" or "classical").

Not at all, you have fantastic taste and knowledge--this one is a true classic, as you say! I really appreciate you starting this thread and looking forward to many more postings and the thread gaining in popularity as it's all about the music!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 80
Well, you're too kind! :thumbsup:

I hope the thread gains some traction too, and others' posts help me expand my collection, but if not I'm content to post my ECM collection, and new finds, in the hope that some might find them worth checking out.

But you're welcome, thanks for your contributions, and we'll see how it goes!

Here's a very recent (2023) release that features Muthspiel's beautiful guitar work, which, to me, is an amalgamation of classic jazz guitar, folk, and classical playing. The production is, as always with ECM, excellent, with a dark and organic atmosphere that suits the music.

https://ecmrecords.com/product/dance-of-the-elders-wolfgang-muthspiel-scott-colley-brian-blade/

Folder.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back