To Sell or Not To Sell Westone ES5?
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Exorcist

New Head-Fier
I have owned 2 Custom IEMs. The first is Ultimate Ears 11 Pro and second being Westone ES5.

I don't have the habit of doing serious AB-Comparisons. When I compare IEMs, it is a rather casual affair.

It seems to me that ES5 wins UE11 Pro in all departments. However, ES5 loses to UE11 in the musicality department (though I have read many raving about ES5's musicality). Also, if my memory serves me right (I have sold the UE11), ES5 sounds warmer/darker than UE11.

Cables used on both Custom IEMs are Westone ES2 Cable.

In my own definition, musicality is the magic ingredient that makes you stop tracking the time/duration of the song and just moving on with the music effortlessly.

Scenario (I pick a random song): with the ES5, I find myself checking what's the left duration of the song. with the UE11, it didn't develop any urge to want to check any duration (I just simply enjoy the music). 

Recently, I started using Apple Earphones (yes, the stock ones which comes with every iPhone, iPod). I notice that with the Apple Earphones, I find every song very listenable. I can literally set my whole music collection on shuffle and just listen and not nitpick and change songs easily. I guess the trick behind this is that the iBuds sound pretty airy. The experience is like Bose Cubes Ceiling speakers at a Fast Food Restaurant. Sound is not exactly audiophile-standards but we enjoy the background chill-out music easily.

On the other hand, with the Westone ES5.. I find myself listening to certain songs only. This irritates me pretty much. My main aim of pursuing audiophile components is for the love of music. I would like to enjoy/appreciate a wide range of music without wanting to change song every 30 seconds. 

Also, the ES5's warm/dark sound signature doesn't sit too well with me. I prefer a more neutral sound signature I have realised. 

A heavenly sound signature for me would be a neutral clean sound with lush mids, good soundstage and outstanding musicality. I have always preferred Speakers to Headphones.. so I guess soundstage and airy feeling is my priority. 

I have auditioned briefly Unique Melody's Miracle Universal Demo Set. Vocals aren't as lush as ES5's but the airy cleaner sound clicks with me. 

What should I get if I sell the ES5 away? I might need to settle for Universal IEM instead of Custom IEMs. Sadly, there's not enough cash for another Custom IEM at the moment (even after selling ES5). 

I used to own a UM3X. I like its Sound Presentation. Very unique. Clean transparent sound. Vocals not exactly lush but stands out well. I sold it because i find the sound fatiguing and the mid-bass (or whichever bass) irritating. It isn't outrageously irritating but those daily minor irritating bits which got on my nerves eventually.

Just for the record, UE11 and ES5 aren't fatiguing. There aren't any bass-irritation either.

Probably a good solution to ES5 for me (without selling the ES5) would be Whiplash TWag V2 and iQube Portable Amp. Whiplash's service is notorious and iQube Amp though portable isn't convenient. I used to own an iQube; Amps aren't convenient if you like to multitask and choose your songs while commuting.

Any advice is appreciated. Have a good day everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back