To Beyer or Not To Beyer?
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #19 of 44
I found DT990/250 Ohm to resemble SR225 with added bass (incl. deep bass), soundstage and comfort. This seems to be what you are looking for. Some DT990 harshness at highs could be cured with recabling. I do not mean expensive cable, any affordable OFC 4-wired cable (Mogami, Canare) would be nice. Unfortunately, stock cable is 3-wired and this is the shame. Recabling is easy, I recabled DT770 (built the same) in less than hour, though I am not skilled DIYer. Hopefully, 600 Ohm version does not suffer from extra brightness.

Quote:
I have a pair of Grado SR-225i's. They are a tad too bright for certain genres (mathcore)... I like bass but I am by no means a bass head. I want just a little more sub bass than my SR-225i has. 
I PC game A LOT so I need good soundstage too.

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 44

Quote:
What would the sarcasm emoticon look like?

How about this 
rolleyes.gif
 ? Does that help?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 44
I've just received my DT990/600 today, and i am liking it a lot. By some reviews, i was worried, waiting for LOADS of extra bass, but no... IMO the bass is VERY good, not as exagerated as people describes. The highs, on the other side, are very bright, indeed, almost sibilant. But i like the sparkle, i got used to it after some hours. Soundstage is good. A great phone to have if you listen to rock. Another thing, i found the mids to be nice too. Overall, a very nice acquisition for the 230 bucks i've payed.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 44
that is a good deal there! but i would echo your sentiments, as i also love my dt990/600 very much. i was supposed to sell them but after 1 week of listening i do not want to let them go now. the bass response is really impressive 
smile.gif

Quote:
I've just received my DT990/600 today, and i am liking it a lot. By some reviews, i was worried, waiting for LOADS of extra bass, but no... IMO the bass is VERY good, not as exagerated as people describes. The highs, on the other side, are very bright, indeed, almost sibilant. But i like the sparkle, i got used to it after some hours. Soundstage is good. A great phone to have if you listen to rock. Another thing, i found the mids to be nice too. Overall, a very nice acquisition for the 230 bucks i've payed.

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #23 of 44
Maybe you want the Denon's?

They are a lot more easily driven and they synergize pretty well with that uDAC.

They weren't quite my cup of tea but they had their strong points.

Killer bass for one, they looked great and they were oh so comfie.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #24 of 44

Quote:
Maybe you want the Denon's?

They are a lot more easily driven and they synergize pretty well with that uDAC.

They weren't quite my cup of tea but they had their strong points.

Killer bass for one, they looked great and they were oh so comfie.

But the problem is they don't look as cool. XD
I might look into them as well. 

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #25 of 44
Denons may fit your bill also and actually look better and more luxury than Beyers. They are less durable but more comfortable than DT990. D2000 has better SQ and more even FR with no extra brightness.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 44

Quote:
I have an offer of a DT880/250ohm. How will this compare with my SR-225i?
I want more sub bass and a little less harsh treble. 

I have no idea I've never heard the Beyers. Value wise I'd say it's an even swap, so satisfy your curiosity and swap. If you dont like them you  can sell or swap again. I wouldnt ding the Denon's on their looks though, they're pretty good looking cans and did I mention hiow comftorble they are. Sound wise though you have to make some compromises. I didnt like the mids on the Denon's, they left me wanting but the bass was great and they were very detailed without being bright. I think the uDAC might actually be perfect for them because it tends to heighten the mids. I tried an EQ that Ham Sandwich suggested but it caused more problems for me than it solved, Anyway if you have an offer on the table for an even swap for a pair of cans your curious about you should do it.

Part of me wishes I would have just stuck with the 225's then again I've enjoyed my journey down the head fi rabbit hole. You might want to check this thread out too. The discussion going on there seems very intriguing. I was seriously considering ordering a pair and doing the mods before I decided to grab up one of the last HF2's. The Fostex T50RP still has my attention though.

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #28 of 44

Quote:

I stand by my earlier assessment. In my feeling (and coming from the exact same headphones as you), they're exactly what you're looking for. On the other hand, ears and preferences differ dramatically. The Beyers are definitely bright. It's difficult to say if they're as bright as or brighter than the 225--the upper midrange/treble range is far less colored for sure. I've experienced fatigue some days, and then no fatigue on the same material a day later. High volume listening can be tempered by this brightness, so if you like it loud, that might be a consideration.

Somebody will no doubt advise you get the 600 ohm version instead, offer or no offer. I've never heard the 600 ohm one, so I couldn't judge.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

DT880 will provide this, plus soundstage, comfort and some other SQ gains, losing Grado fun and "magic mids" coloration.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #30 of 44
Personally I would look for tubes if you decide to go for DT990. I think Little Dot II would be an amazing pairing with Beyers. I'm just speculating though cause I never heard Beyers and SR225.
frown.gif
However, I will soon audition SR225 in my local hifi store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back